The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 09:14 AM

I think I’ve banged more guitars taking them out of their cases than off the wall. Maybe I’m just clumsy.

I guess wall displays can be a bit boastful, but I am proud of my display. I did it for me, not anyone else. Most of our guests never go upstairs to see them.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpricewood View Post
I think I’ve banged more guitars taking them out of their cases than off the wall. Maybe I’m just clumsy.
Lol, you're not the only one. I actually worry I'm going to damage a guitar every time I put it into a case, shut the lid on a case, or get one out of a case.

I've always hung guitars on walls without fear.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:39 AM

I keep all my acoustics in cases, too dry here most of the year. I always have several electrics out though.
Martin 00L-17
Martin D-18
Gibson L-00
Gibson J-45
Old 12-12-2019, 09:40 AM

I bet that Marshall keeps the acoustics nice and limber even stored in their cases.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:45 AM

I use these since I have a room with limited square footage. Mounting them to the wall was an idea. Glad I didn't because it looks like I'll be moving soon.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpricewood View Post
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2hYpegh]
Ya know... I can't help feeling like the wall and the back of that tayor is covered in velcro and you threw it against the wall

I may have an overactive imagination
Old 12-12-2019, 09:56 AM

It's a personal preference, I understand those who choose to hang them on the wall.

My choice is to case them. My husband and I have built 2 oak cabinets to case all the instruments. Quick, easy access and they are safe. The music room, as well as the whole house, is humidity controlled. Love my cozy music room.

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Last edited by ifret; 12-12-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoMartinMan View Post
I have mine on the wall for easier access. They all get played more that way.
I agree 100%
I have eight guitars and a fiddle. All in stands and some on the interior walls. Not only are they accessible, I also consider them works of art and conversation pieces.

Blues
Old 12-12-2019, 10:44 AM

You forgot stands. I keep two on the wall and five on stands. I'm fortunate to live in a state that has higher humidity. I also like the fact I can just grab a guitar and play for five minutes (one example) while I'm waiting for my daughter to get ready for school. If I had to take them in and out of case my playing time would be cut in half.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:17 PM

Living in "earthquake country" means my guitars really NEED to live in their cases. I'd probably do that anyway as it keeps them properly protected AND humidified at all times. I'll never understand those who say leaving it out (or on a wall) is "easier". It's a 10 to 15 second process maximum to open a case and take out a guitar. If "seeing" it makes you want to play more then just put the case (with the guitar inside) in an obtrusive location and you'll see it all the time.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:18 PM

I only have two guitars but I keep them in their cases. I use a guitar frequently during the course of the day and I'm quite happy to take it out of its case and put it away again. It takes about 20 seconds at most.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:06 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’d be delighted to hang mine on the wall...if humidity wasn’t an issue. But it is much of the year here. So I keep them in their cases in a case rack. Takes about 10 second to get them out so I can play. No biggie...

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 12-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I'll never understand those who say leaving it out (or on a wall) is "easier". It's a 10 to 15 second process maximum to open a case and take out a guitar.
Depends on where the case is and whether you have to dig it out of a closet or move it before you can open it. I only have one wooden acoustic I need to humidify, so I keep the case flat on a coffee table about three feet from where I play. So it's absolutely no sweat for me to grab the guitar. Although when conditions permit, I still tend to just keep it on a wall hanger during the day so I can grab it and play, and then I put it back in the case at the end of the day. If I had my cases standing up in a closet or something and I had to grab one, move it to a flat space, and open it, it would definitely be a disincentive for me to play as much as I do when I can just grab something off the wall. You may not understand it, but I assure you it's a real enough psychological barrier for some of us. Not all, but I'm one of those who it would be.

I guess earthquakes would a good reason not to hang guitars on the wall. Although if you use a hercules hanger with the flaps that effectively lock the guitar in place and you have the thing mounted to a stud, any earthquake that would knock that off the wall would probably have large pieces of house falling into the case as well - I'm not sure you can protect against ALL worst case possibilities.

But to each their own. When I need to keep a guitar in a case, I do. But when i don't, I'd absolutely rather not...
Old 12-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchtop View Post
For the most part I keep them cased. Although I always have a couple of electrics and an acoustic sitting out ready to go. 😉

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Next time I get "the look" from my wife I will stuff this picture in her face!!!!
Old 12-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

I keep my electrics on the wall. As others have mentioned, this keeps them of reach of the kids. But I also like the ease of access (I find I play them more) and appreciate the aesthetics of it. I keep my acoustics in their cases for humidity control. They are out for the photo but live in their cases when not being played:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion