The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-09-2019, 09:17 PM

Default ;{Piezo and acoustic amps

I have experience with two acoustic guitar amps, Ultrasound and Fishman. I think both are EQ'ed with under saddle piezo PUs in mind; not much bass response. I have installed a K&K in my Taylor 412 and it has a lot of bass response, so much that the bass tone controls on both amps have to be turned down to near zero or the guitar gets very muddy. Is this common?

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 12-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
I have experience with two acoustic guitar amps, Ultrasound and Fishman. I think both are EQ'ed with under saddle piezo PUs in mind; not much bass response. I have installed a K&K in my Taylor 412 and it has a lot of bass response, so much that the bass tone controls on both amps have to be turned down to near zero or the guitar gets very muddy. Is this common?
Hi alnico

Yes, it is common. I have K&K pure mini installed in all four acoustics, and all my acoustic amps (3 of them) are UltraSound. The bass is definitely strong on K&K Pure Mini pickups, and the treble needs to be boosted.

I don't mind turning bass down and the treble up - that's what tone controls are for. And I run them all through prosumer preamps to add the element of controlling the midrange to help alleviate what you called 'mud'.

When I made the switch from Under-saddle Piezo Pickups to Sound Board Transducers, the guitars started to sound more like guitars through amps and PA systems.

Have fun exploring how to get a great sound from your rigs!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification