The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2019, 11:03 AM

Probably very true - I dont seem to have much of an upper register. The highest note I can usably hit is a D4 (2 frets lower than an open high E). I can produce an E4 (open E) but only as a one off note. I couldn't put it into a song.

I have a long way to go.

I have been petrified of singing my entire life. Couldn't even sing in a large group like at a church service. I decided at age 40 (this year) it was time for change but its very early days.

Edit: ok, I've had a play and a careful listen and I'm playing louder as I'm singing louder. I need to learn to have a two-channel volume control in my brain

Last edited by RalphH; 12-08-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:02 PM

If you sing "small" you probably talk that way, too. They're pretty much the same thing, or should be. And just as you have to walk before you can run, you need to know how to talk before you can sing.

A speech therapist might be able to help you more than a singing teacher, because they usually have a better grounding in human anatomy and the mechanics of vocal production.

Couch Standards
Old 12-08-2019, 01:11 PM

That's an interesting thought. I normally do talk quite quietly and a bit maybe mumbly unless I'm making a point not to because I'm talking to a room full of people.

I feel like do know how to project my voice to a room without shouting when talking, and I dont have much fear of talking in front of people, having been desensitized over a career of large meetings and presentations but I do remember when the thought of talking in front of a room full of people literally made my legs shake. Now I kinda find it exciting rather than outright scary and normally enjoy it.

I guess I should be able to take that across to singing a bit. I have a fairly clear idea of the difference between projecting better and just being 'louder' with speech. I don't know how I'd describe it though -- more like an EQ change than a volume or pitch change, though obviously volume goes up a bit too. I dont know why I didn't see the connection. I guess singing and talking are very different things in my head. I suspect most of my singing problems are in my head.

btw, Kev, just noticed the video you added - guess that was an edit? Never nice, thanks!

Last edited by RalphH; 12-08-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Major game changer for me is when I got a decent microphone for my computer and a free recording program ( Audacity). I also have a nice sound system I use for play back. I use it strictly to self critique. This has helped me stop doing some things, and work on things that have potential to improve. We all hear what's in our head, not what we actually sound like. I save drafts of different recording of the same tune to compare at later dates. Sometimes I'll listen to something I thought really sucked in the moment, but heard it differently later as a work in progress. The denial and wishful thinking is now dead. Sometimes reality sucks, but it's better than living in la-la land. (pun intended)

Last edited by j.blay; 12-08-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:21 PM

Totally agreed. I've done the same thing. Got myself a decent mic and a focusrite interface. I lay down the guitar track first (what a learning experience that was - laying down a perfect guitar track is surprisingly hard if you're not used to recording!!) then add vocals after. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised. Other times I hear things very differently to how I thought I sounded. I think everyone should record themselves to properly evaluate how they're doing, whether its guitar or vocal or both. I've also recorded guitar and vocals in a single take, just to see how it sounds. One thing I can't assess though is the balance as it's a two track recording. I guess I could just put one mic on the other side of the room...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification