The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-02-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Default LR Baggs Anthem dual source system...

I recently purchased a new SJ-200 Standard in Sitka/Maple. It came from Gibson with a LR Baggs Anthem dual source UST and bridge plate mic. I've owned their Element UST's in the past and they seemed to have had a much hotter signal strength. Is this normal or do I maybe have a problem with my Anthem pickup? Makes no difference if it's all the way over to the UST or all the way over to the bridge plate mic or somewhere in between. Any input is appreciated. Sounds great but the output is mild to say the least?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 12-02-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I have two Breedloves with the anthem dual source system stock. They definitely are not low signal strength.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Maybe I should get it checked out. With the Anthem turned all the way up and a Fishmann 100 set at 12:00 on the gain and 12:00 on the master volume it's way less loud than any of my guitars that have a K&K mini run thru a Baggs Session DI set at 3:00 on the gain and around 10:00 on the volume. Amp set at 12:00 master volume and gain at around 10:00.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

I have a boss acoustic singer live and a loudbox mini. Both get plenty loud in my house with the anthem at way less than 12 o'clock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Maybe I should get it checked out. With the Anthem turned all the way up and a Fishmann 100 set at 12:00 on the gain and 12:00 on the master volume it's way less loud than any of my guitars that have a K&K mini run thru a Baggs Session DI set at 3:00 on the gain and around 10:00 on the volume. Amp set at 12:00 master volume and gain at around 10:00.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
First off, every different pickup type is going to have different output strengths. The K&K is high-impedance going in to your preamp, while the Anthem is low impedance... right there, that will account for some difference.

Secondly, sounds like you just need to dial in the gain on input of the Anthem; you want to set it so that strumming or playing AS HARD as you are likely to play is JUST BELOW the level where the "clip" light comes on... if there isn't a clipping indicator, then you want the gain set (a bit less than ) just before any audible distortion becomes apparent.

(Google "gain staging" if you haven't already done so; GREAT information that will serve you well through any amplified endeavor!)

I have the Anthem SL pickups in both my 6 and 12 string Mark Angus guitars; they're the ones I use primarily for live performances. I haven't really had a problem with low gain, not with the individual channel gain set correctly. I run the guitars into a Bose T1 mixer and then into either my Bose L1 Model II or an AER Compact 60 and they sound very good.

I seem to recall that, when a friend played with me (he had a K&K in his guitar, with the belt-clip preamp) that his channels gain setting was slightly less than mine with those Anthem SL pickups.

Hope this helps!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-03-2019, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Thanks I'll try that. My gain settings with the K&K Mini run through the Session DI are always lower than with the Anthem. (without the Session DI) Is there any reason to run an already amplified signal from an active built in preamp through an additional preamp/DI? Maybe I'll give Baggs a shout too. As always very appreciative for input from this group...many thanks!

Old 12-03-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks I'll try that. My gain settings with the K&K Mini run through the Session DI are always lower than with the Anthem. (without the Session DI) Is there any reason to run an already amplified signal from an active built in preamp through an additional preamp/DI? Maybe I'll give Baggs a shout too. As always very appreciative for input from this group...many thanks!
The Anthem is definitely a lower output pickup. It seems to be a discussion that comes up from time to time. Here's a post from an Lr Baggs employee I found online:

"We at LR Baggs are aware and acknowledge that the output of the Anthem system is "low-ish." When compared to some pickup systems known for strong output, such as some competitors' systems and our own Element Active, it can appear less than another system. The trick is not to compare its output to anything else. If it sounds great, it's most likely normal.

Here is a brief explanation of why the output is what it is: The specially-tuned crossover in the Anthem circuit imposes a sharp low-cut on the Tru-Mic signal as well as a [not as sharp] high cut for the pickup signal when the system is adjusted to use more Tru-Mic above the crossover. The circuit design required to achieve the highly effective crossover circuit, that which is responsible for such a natural sound at such high volumes, was not able to be manipulated for higher overall output from the system without lowering the signal-to-noise ratio."
Old 12-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for that information. It's probably normal just not as high output as their Element Active or some other pickup systems. Much appreciated!

Old 12-10-2019, 11:29 AM

FWIW, I have used an Anthem with a K&K. Put the K&K where it is suppose to go and the Anthem mic behind the bridge plate. The (full) Anthem has a dumb jack (no pre-amp in it like the Anthem SL and Lyric), so you can ditch the cable it comes with and wirre up a stereo jack with the K&K to the Ring.

That said, I prefer the Lyric + K&K in a similar arrangement. I have threads about all this stuff in here somewhere.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification