The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 AM

Default Advice for small body guitar under 500$, to buy during a travel in the US

Hello acoustic people,

I have been reading the forum for a while and really interested in the stuff that is happening here.

I would like to ask you for advice, to buy a new guitar. I am a very OM / 000 guy, have one Art&Luthery Legacy OM size and a 000 Sigma.

But as I would be on a trip to the US this October, around the blues route (US 61) and Nashville & Memphis area, I decided to treat myself with a small body guitar.
My budget is around (and if possible below) 500$ and I am looking for good options. I like to play blues and trying to get into fingerstyle properly, but open to other types of music / playing.

So far I ended with a list of possible candidates:
- Alvarez Delta Blues
- Ibanez AVN11
- Recording King series 11 single 0 with Fishman Sonitone (if in store at that time) (All solid)
- Breedlove entry level
- Taylor entry level
- The Loar 250 (All solid).

What do you think? Any other candidate to consider? Any winner in my list?

Also, I do not know where to buy, but I believe Nashville & Memphis area could be a good area for guitar hunting.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by The wolf tone; 09-05-2019 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Completing the information
Old 09-05-2019, 03:45 AM

Hi, Wolf, welcome to the forum. There are a few guitars that might serve your purpose that I’ve played and in some cases owned, and which should meet your budget needs.

The first one is really a superb little guitar, the Taylor Academy 12 model. It’s got a solid spruce top and laminated wood back and sides (or, in Taylor’s parlance, “layered wood,”) but it’s a brilliant design. If I didn’t already have too many guitars already I might buy one.

Elderly Instruments has them for $499.00, which would give you $1.00 back from your $500!

The “12” in the Academy 12 model name refers to its body shape in Taylor’s nomenclature, not the number of strings it has - it’s a six string guitar.

The Taylor Academy 12 is between a Martin Triple O and Double O in size, as is the next guitar I’ll recommend, which is the Seagull Folk model. It’s not exactly the same shape as the Academy 12, but has about the same size body cavity.

The Seagulls that sound best to my ears are also, happily, their least expensive models: solid cedar tops with laminated cherry backs and sides. The asking price on new ones might be outside your budget, but used ones are quite inexpensive, particularly if you get one in Canada 🇨🇦 I bought my used Seagull Folk model in a Vancouver, British Columbia pawnshop for $225 CDN, which at that day’s exchange rate was $166 USD.

And it sounds great. The cedar top was pretty dinged up when I bought it, but that’s characteristic of cedar: it’s a softer wood than spruce and it scratches and dents more easily.

But - hey! - if you’re going on a blues pilgrimage to the Mississippi Delta, a used, scratched up cedar-top guitar will have lots of mojo already built in!

The same Canadian company that makes Seagulls makes another brand name called Simon & Patrick that, aside from some slight cosmetic differences, is structurally identical to the Seagull line. Plus they have their Art & Lutherie line that you’re already familiar with.

Besides the Folk model they have an even smaller parlor model (but because they’re Canadians, I think they call it a “parlour” model instead! )

Anyway, in your position I think I would look into the Taylor Academy 12 and the Seagull or Simon & Patrick Folk models.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-05-2019, 04:47 AM

The Art and Lutherie Roadhouse Parlor is pretty nice if you are considering a parlor - I like mine alot

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/roadhouse
Old 09-05-2019, 06:01 AM

HI WT,

If you are going to be buying online those will all be available to you If you are going to go to actual B&M stores to look - you won't find many of those.

Of that bunch the ones you are most likely to find are the Taylors, Ibanez and Breedlove.

Alvarez are easy to find, but I have NEVER seen one of their Jazz & Blues series (Blues 51, Delta 00, etc.) in a store anywhere. Their "parlor guitars" are the same size, but w/a very short scale and usually slotted headstocks.

Loars are nigh on impossible to find in stores here too.

Seagulls are readily available in many stores. Unlike Wade, I don't like their folk models but really like the "Grand" - their 0 or parlor sized guitar.

I would just try all the small guitars you can and see if one speaks to you.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-05-2019, 08:11 AM

I LOVE these little guys. I own the Yamaha personally - but the 000 is certainly on my short list.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...apele/26088175
All solid, great bag, smaller body with a lot of waist contour.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...uitar/10963541
This guitar is worth it simply for the bag alone - super durable. Also sounds and plays incredibly!
Old 09-05-2019, 09:37 AM

The Recording King RO-T16, mine was bought used for around $200, is a 000 with solid mahogany (probably African) back and sides and a torrified spruce top. It plays well and the sound is great. Many of the other RK's have similar specs but are not always available in stores.

Another option is a genuine old pawn shop Harmony or similar guitar bought when you you get here. The sound and playability may not be the greatest but the experience of touring the Delta with an authentic instrument will be. Enjoy yourself!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Default You're on a quest, my son...

Deep into the heart of the acoustic guitar's natural habitat. I know those woods, as a native Nashvillian (now in exile). They're deep and dark, but delightfully abundant. You'll see and hear some string wizardry beyond your expectations (don't leave Nashville without an evening at the Station Inn, 40+ years of bluegrass nightly).

While I concur with all the brand recommendations previously offered, my advice is just to keep your eyes and your mind open. There's less consistency with under $500 guitars, new or used. My Seagull Folk S6 is loud but uninspiring, with almost no overtones, even after adding a bone saddle. But my S&P Woodland MJ, made of the same laminate/cedar, sings like six angels. It beats my up-model SWS for volume and sparkle, if not bass response. But two other samples of those models might be very different.

But back to your quest. There will be plenty of guitar shops, but you'll inevitably want to go to the fabled ones - Greuhn's & Carters, primarily - that have almost nothing below a grand in price. Go there, you must. Buy a t-shirt and a few of their locally-made acrylic V-picks; I did, and it changed my taste in picks, and improved my tone. Spend time recalibrating your ears towards quality, and then go to the usual secondhand sources (GC, CL, etc.) and look for something more affordable. Set a personal price limit, and prepare to be tempted. You might not make it past those first pair of stores.

In the best case, you chance upon some hidden gem, or some unique instrument with a story behind it. But you'll be competing in the market with so many other guitarists. John Sebastian's old guess of sixteen hundred and fifty-two pickers is way underestimated now. So the best deals might get taken quickly. I wish I had more recent knowledge of the Tennessee guitar market for you. I envy your mission, with all its opportunity and uncertainty!
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 09-05-2019, 12:39 PM

How are the Guitar Centers (and Sam Ash stores?) in & around Nashville and Memphis?
Old 09-05-2019, 01:21 PM

WOW Thanks a lot for your responses and kind help!
Old 09-05-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Hi, Wolf, welcome to the forum. There are a few guitars that might serve your purpose that I’ve played and in some cases owned, and which should meet your budget needs.

The first one is really a superb little guitar, the Taylor Academy 12 model. It’s got a solid spruce top and laminated wood back and sides (or, in Taylor’s parlance, “layered wood,”) but it’s a brilliant design. If I didn’t already have too many guitars already I might buy one.

Elderly Instruments has them for $499.00, which would give you $1.00 back from your $500!

The “12” in the Academy 12 model name refers to its body shape in Taylor’s nomenclature, not the number of strings it has - it’s a six string guitar.

The Taylor Academy 12 is between a Martin Triple O and Double O in size, as is the next guitar I’ll recommend, which is the Seagull Folk model. It’s not exactly the same shape as the Academy 12, but has about the same size body cavity.

The Seagulls that sound best to my ears are also, happily, their least expensive models: solid cedar tops with laminated cherry backs and sides. The asking price on new ones might be outside your budget, but used ones are quite inexpensive, particularly if you get one in Canada 🇨🇦 I bought my used Seagull Folk model in a Vancouver, British Columbia pawnshop for $225 CDN, which at that day’s exchange rate was $166 USD.

And it sounds great. The cedar top was pretty dinged up when I bought it, but that’s characteristic of cedar: it’s a softer wood than spruce and it scratches and dents more easily.

But - hey! - if you’re going on a blues pilgrimage to the Mississippi Delta, a used, scratched up cedar-top guitar will have lots of mojo already built in!

The same Canadian company that makes Seagulls makes another brand name called Simon & Patrick that, aside from some slight cosmetic differences, is structurally identical to the Seagull line. Plus they have their Art & Lutherie line that you’re already familiar with.

Besides the Folk model they have an even smaller parlor model (but because they’re Canadians, I think they call it a “parlour” model instead! )

Anyway, in your position I think I would look into the Taylor Academy 12 and the Seagull or Simon & Patrick Folk models.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks Wade, in fact sounds like very good options to take into consideration. Definitely would try!
Old 09-05-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
The Art and Lutherie Roadhouse Parlor is pretty nice if you are considering a parlor - I like mine alot

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/roadhouse
Very good guitar indeed, tried one when buying the Legacy. Here in Europe is a bit pricy, but a serious parlor, no doubt. As I have same woods on the Legacy, I might start trying other options, but maybe need to reconsider ...
Thanks slide496!
Old 09-05-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
HI WT,

If you are going to be buying online those will all be available to you If you are going to go to actual B&M stores to look - you won't find many of those.

Of that bunch the ones you are most likely to find are the Taylors, Ibanez and Breedlove.

Alvarez are easy to find, but I have NEVER seen one of their Jazz & Blues series (Blues 51, Delta 00, etc.) in a store anywhere. Their "parlor guitars" are the same size, but w/a very short scale and usually slotted headstocks.

Loars are nigh on impossible to find in stores here too.

Seagulls are readily available in many stores. Unlike Wade, I don't like their folk models but really like the "Grand" - their 0 or parlor sized guitar.

I would just try all the small guitars you can and see if one speaks to you.
Thanks Roy!

That was my thought also, the availability in Stores. I don't think all places stocks a lot of different brands apart from the basics, and could be an issue to try some of them in person.

As you said, a matter of try and let guitars speak... Seagulls are an option to check I see
Old 09-05-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMEkneurauter View Post
I LOVE these little guys. I own the Yamaha personally - but the 000 is certainly on my short list.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...apele/26088175
All solid, great bag, smaller body with a lot of waist contour.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...uitar/10963541
This guitar is worth it simply for the bag alone - super durable. Also sounds and plays incredibly!
Thanks for the references CMEkneurauter! I have an electric Yamaha from the 90s and is a serious piece of guitar
Old 09-05-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
The Recording King RO-T16, mine was bought used for around $200, is a 000 with solid mahogany (probably African) back and sides and a torrified spruce top. It plays well and the sound is great. Many of the other RK's have similar specs but are not always available in stores.

Another option is a genuine old pawn shop Harmony or similar guitar bought when you you get here. The sound and playability may not be the greatest but the experience of touring the Delta with an authentic instrument will be. Enjoy yourself!
Thanks Nctom! To be honest, RK was always high on the list, my fear is to find them phisically and if the prices would be under or around 500$ for higher level models. Apart from that one you mentioned, the new series 11 are very promising, at least what I saw online. Problem is that not at stores I believe.
And sure, a genuine option is always a good option... might try my luck
Old 09-05-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Deep into the heart of the acoustic guitar's natural habitat. I know those woods, as a native Nashvillian (now in exile). They're deep and dark, but delightfully abundant. You'll see and hear some string wizardry beyond your expectations (don't leave Nashville without an evening at the Station Inn, 40+ years of bluegrass nightly).

While I concur with all the brand recommendations previously offered, my advice is just to keep your eyes and your mind open. There's less consistency with under $500 guitars, new or used. My Seagull Folk S6 is loud but uninspiring, with almost no overtones, even after adding a bone saddle. But my S&P Woodland MJ, made of the same laminate/cedar, sings like six angels. It beats my up-model SWS for volume and sparkle, if not bass response. But two other samples of those models might be very different.

But back to your quest. There will be plenty of guitar shops, but you'll inevitably want to go to the fabled ones - Greuhn's & Carters, primarily - that have almost nothing below a grand in price. Go there, you must. Buy a t-shirt and a few of their locally-made acrylic V-picks; I did, and it changed my taste in picks, and improved my tone. Spend time recalibrating your ears towards quality, and then go to the usual secondhand sources (GC, CL, etc.) and look for something more affordable. Set a personal price limit, and prepare to be tempted. You might not make it past those first pair of stores.

In the best case, you chance upon some hidden gem, or some unique instrument with a story behind it. But you'll be competing in the market with so many other guitarists. John Sebastian's old guess of sixteen hundred and fifty-two pickers is way underestimated now. So the best deals might get taken quickly. I wish I had more recent knowledge of the Tennessee guitar market for you. I envy your mission, with all its opportunity and uncertainty!
Thanks Birdbrain! In fact, in a quest I already am

Apart from the rest of smart guitarists looking the same, I would be fighting my budget limit and the availability of models in the stores. But still have faith only visiting a couple of that stores might worth the quest itself.

Thanks for the best wishes in my mission, took good note of the references.

I would have a first check online just to check prices and store locations, but definitely is a matter of what would inspire me the most

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion