The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-10-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Building a Rack...

Ok, as some of you may have noticed, I recently acquired a used (but pristine) Pendulum SPS-1 and I'm absolutely smitten. To use it out in bars and clubs, I plan on installing it in a small rack case and wanted to get your thoughts on what you'd include. Here are my initial thoughts on what would be included:

1. Power Conditioner/Supply: I've heard mixed opinions on whether a rack needs a conditioner or just a good power strip/surge protector. Furman makes affordable rack units and power strips, any opinion on which is a better choice? I'd love to use a simple power strip as I believe there would be room in the back of the case to mount it but I'm not opposed to a rack if there's a case to be made for it.

2. Pendulum w/module

3. Multi-Efx Unit (TC Electronics M350?): I just want something simple that I can program some presets for each channel to add some compression and reverb, delay, etc. The TC M350 seems good and affordable but I'm up for any recommendations. Any other good acoustic rack gear?

3 alternative: Pull-out Shelf w/acoustic pedals, like the Baggs Session and Reverb. I have the Session and Reverb and could add the chorus and delay as well to add some enhancements. Not sure if I like the idea of a drawer w/pedals but I do see racks have pedals included

4. Pull-out drawer for storage of cables, module, mics etc

What am I forgetting and what would you guys recommend? Essentially, I believe I'm looking at a 3-4 unit rack and would love to keep it as simple as possible so I can walk into a gig with my guitar on my back and my suitcase rack in my hand.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 12-10-2019, 05:40 PM

I'm not an expert on guitar effects, so I'll only comment on what I know:

1. For power conditioners, I prefer the Furman PL-8C. It's a little heavy and kinda deep, but the lights are great and the active voltage protection saved my bacon a while back. I own around half a dozen of them.

4. Gator makes good but slightly heavy drawers. Mid Atlantic drawers are a little lighter, and hold up slightly better. In my experience, the cheapo drawers don't hold up well, and I'd avoid them. In any case, the drawer will add quite a bit of weight, which is something you should consider.

You may want to avoid a drawer altogether, since everything in there will get tossed around when you turn the rack on it's side. Unless you foam it or otherwise protect the gear.

I've become a big fan of SKB fly racks, which are lightweight racks that transport inside a larger foam-padded case. They have several sizes, but they make 2 and 4 space "wireless" racks that have storage space below the rack for transmitters and accessories. The foam is cut out for mics, but could easily be modified to fit other things.

I have 2U and 4U SKB fly racks that I use for wireless. On the 2 space one, I've modified the foam to fit 4 handhelds and a 4 bay charger and power supply (2 Shure SBC200's). I pack the transmitters and other small stuff in the bottom, put the rack in, wrap the antenna cables and XLR snake in the space between the rack and the outside case, then I put 2 paddle antennas on top and close the lid. I really like these racks, and they make my life a lot easier.

I also have the 2U briefcase style rack for my Apollo interface. It works great, but if I did it again I'd probably prefer something with wheels like the larger ones.

https://www.skbcases.com/music/produ...php?c=160&s=80
Old 12-11-2019, 01:21 PM

There are strong opinions on this subject and some are likely more informed than mine. My opinion is informed by those I believe to be better informed.

My understanding is that most lower-priced rack mount "power conditioners" are pretty much electrically the same thing as most power strips with "surge protection", and this includes the lower-end Furman units.

That said, assuming your rack is not filled up, the rack mount units are convenient (yes, you can tie-wrap a power strip inside the back of a rack, but...) And the pull-out cylindrical lights on some aren't useless, though I wish they were better.

I use a Furman PL-8C on my recording rack and also I sprang for one in my "Studio B" (my little home office where I do a lot of audio editing and final tracks). I have no idea if their touted noise suppression is worthwhile (and I've never suffered from appreciable issues in that regard before or after the PL-8C) but the surge suppression method might be a bit better and more durable, and they aren't too pricey.

I have a couple of small racks that are racks for packaging/convivence and I go super cheap on them with the "Musician's Gear Power Conditioner" sold by Musician's Friend which is definitely no better than the typical inexpensive power strip, but in a nice enough 1 rack unit form factor, and on sale at less than $25, it's not much more expensive than one.

For small racks that need to be toted around, or stored and brought into play when needed, I think the Gator GR ATA rack cases are cost effective. If you decide to go with small pedals etc on a rack shelf: perforated, slotted shelves used with tie wraps with rubber or velco assists are pretty secure.

Hope any of this helps.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-12-2019, 10:06 AM

Ok, I've been convinced, I'll get a low-priced conditioner and not include the drawer. My local GC has some Furmans for 90 bucks and as a teacher, I get a discount. So, I'll give that a go.

Any thoughts on having a pedal rack versus a multi-EFX unit? Any love for anything specific?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification