The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 09:27 AM

Default "The" guitar recommendations

Hi folks,

I imagine I'm asking a question that has been asked before, sorry, I'm trying to do some research but I guess I am also looking for a little guidance.

I restarted playing in September (after 10+ year absence) using a cheap Sears "Drifter" acoustic. Bought a Taylor Academy 10e in late October, a decent learner guitar but not inspiring. If I don't lose interest and I continue to keep playing, I'd like to get one last guitar, "the" guitar. I'll be willing to spend a little money on it, maybe $2k though certainly not more than $3k. I dont mind used. Currently considering mainly Martin, but thats just an irrational prejudice that I'm willing to abandon.

I've looked at various pages that describe the different shapes and models to try to get an idea of what the different designations mean. But there are so many more models than descriptions. Ultimately, when I have some idea of which models might suit me best, I'll go to some local Guitar shops and spend time playing, but I do need to have an idea of what might suit me best.

1) I am an un-calloused amateur, playing about 1.5 hours a day, some in trying to improve (scales and fingering) and some in putzing
2) I only play fingerstyle, 100%. Probably want a 1 3/4" nut
3) I like the "folk" song sound, warm tone
4) Only play for self, dont care about volume, but looking for a warm, clean, full body sound
5) I'm older with some problems in hands and probably dont want a huge guitar. Nor do I want a "travel" guitar
6) I imagine I'll start with Martin retro strings, light gauge (.011 or .012) and JPearse silk and bronze. But what I string them onto, that is the question

It is just as useful to know what to rule out as it is to know what to consider. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:33 AM

If you're looking Martin and want to spend 2-3k, you can't go wrong with a 000-18 or 000-28.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:34 AM

Martin 00-15.

Even though it's 1 11/16 at the nut, it's the guitar that seems right for your needs.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:34 AM

Quick answer--Martin 000-18.

Longer answer. Try a bunch of different ones and see what you like. Bear in mind that the more time you spend on this forum the more likely it is you'll never be satisfied with whatever it is you get and you'll start on a never-ending search to find "the one." A more accurate description would be to call it the search for "the next one."
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

You say eventually when you decide what type of model is good for you you going to go to some music stores. I personally think that's a little backwards. Go to every music store possible and play every model possible and then decide which ones really move you.

Also if you let folks know the general location of where you live, perhaps they can suggest some really good music stores you can visit
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 12-12-2019 at 03:22 PM.

I'd be hesitant to buy a 'lifetime' guitar in such a hurry. You need to go out and play a bunch of guitars and find out what works for you. If anything get yourself one of those nice $450 Eastman OM guitars while you research the 'big one'.
Charter Member

...I would check out a vintage voiced Martin OM...or 00 or 000 12 fret...
Old 12-12-2019, 09:40 AM

If you haven’t checked out a Martin CEO-7 yet, it’s sorta everything you’re describing. Warm and balanced tone, smaller 00 body, Adirondack top/mahogany back and sides, has a (to me) comfy V neck profile, sunburst and is sort-of “exclusive” if you look at it that way for your forever guitar that’s in your price range. They have a rosewood bodied one as well. The 00-18 is similar without the V and burst. Playing 1.5 hours a day, you’ll get those callouses. Other popular builders have great offerings (Like a Gibson L-00 or Taylor 322ce) but you mentioned Martin, and the little CEO-7 doesn’t disappoint considering to get its options on a Martin Custom Shop offering will run you over your budget another 50 percent-ish. $0.02
Old 12-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I recently acquired a Martin D18 and HD28 and would wholeheartedly recommend either. Dreads are great for strumming and finger style....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Have you thought about a Taylor Grand Auditorium? Like a 300, 500 or 800 series?
Old 12-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

How about a Martin M-36? They are great guitars for finger style or strumming. You can have one from one of the sponsors (MFG or Maurys) for around $2200 I think.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 12-12-2019, 10:23 AM

I know that its over your budget, but paying the extra $500 is worth it. Its called a Collings OM2H and it is a truly incredible guitar.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
I'd be hesitant to buy a 'lifetime' guitar in such a hurry. You need to go out and play a bunch of guitars and find out what works for you.
I agree with this. It's not a good idea to spend so much at such an early stage in your playing 'career' (albeit you've played a decade ago). Enjoy the time getting to know different guitars before you go all-in for a 'keeper'. If you spend a chunk of cash and get it wrong there's nothing that hurts more than buyers remorse.

That said, if you're hankering for a Martin, then buy one, but why not look around for nice used ones and play the secondhand market for a year or so, first. You might lose a few hundred $s buying and selling, but you'll have a lot of fun and be in a much better place to make an informed choice at the end of it.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I would take the time to go to music stores and play a bunch of guitars and let your hands and ears tell you what feels and sounds the best to you. You can learn a lot about how the neck feels. Is the tone what you are seeking? Take some notes when you find something that fits. It is not about overthinking it as it is about paying attention to what you hear and feel as you are playing.

You might start with 00s, 000s and OM shapes and then try a dread and see if it is just too big or not. You'll discover that they each can have subtle differences. Enjoy the journey and you will probably find a guitar that will make you very happy.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-12-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I recently acquired a Martin D18 and HD28 and would wholeheartedly recommend either. Dreads are great for strumming and finger style....
Yum yum.either one would do fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion