The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Default The ultimate ToneWoodAmp settings thread

Hello all,

As a relatively new ToneWoodAmp user, I was struggling with some feedback issues. In my review post here a couple fellow users were very helpful in suggestions of things to check to fix the problem. So I thought, what a great idea it would be to have a thread dedicated to all things ToneWoodAmp settings and whatnot to help each other try new things, as well as to be a resource for people doing searches.

I figure people who own the systems can post what guitar(s) and pickup systems they are using along with favorite effects and settings. I'll go first.

Currently using the TWA in my Martin 00-18VS UMGF with a K&K Pure Mini pup. I pretty much like the Plate reverb effect the best. The Delay (with reverb) is okay but doesn't give me enough to make it useful for what I do. I have the gain set at 25 (goes up to 100) and the volume maxed out at 25. Did have to notch out some frequencies initially at around 200 and 400 but would still get occasional feedback. A few here suggested I check my gain and sure enough it was up at 50. After dialing it back to 25 that seemed to work best.

More experimenting to do with other settings but so far I'm liking it. I think I'm going to order another X-brace so I can use it in at least one more guitar, likely a 000-18 custom I'm about to purchase.

Please chime in with your setups, equipment, settings and what you like/dislike, what works/doesn't.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:36 PM

I'm using the TWA on my Webber Roundbody which had a JJB PPS200. I have the global gain set at 50. The main patch I use is the reverb/delay. I have the reverb volume at 11, the delay feedback at 7, the patch gain at 10 and the volume at 12. This gives me plenty of fx and sounds really good when playing fingerstyle. I also like the plate reverb fx and use that as well but I like the combo of reverb and delay the best.
The other day I was somewhere and I didn't have any speakers to plug my ipod into and wanted to play along to a song I was learning. I plugged my ipod into the insert of the TWA and was able to use my guitar as a speaker and play along to the song. I thought that was cool and didn't realize you could do that.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2016, 07:38 AM

I have my Tonewood on my Takamine EAN 40 C? Cedar top, hog sides and back. This is a guitar that plays awesome and sounds above its paygrade. My Global gain is at 5%. I get no feedback unless I set it down with the strings open.
I have several Taylors and a few Martins and will get an additional X brace which I will not take of the adhesive cover so I can move it from guitar to guitar.
I love playing the Tak with the Tonewood, and it makes playing it more enjoyable. Quite simply it's like playing plugged in without being plugged in.
While it won't rival being plugged into a good amp with effects pedals, it adds a lot to the guitars sound. Simply put I would rather play with it on than off.
If you don't like effects it isn't for you.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Default How about a settings "library"?

I just got a Tonewood Amp to use with my Taylor 814 CE (2015 vintage) and I'm finding it to be feedback prone. I haven't gone through the notch filter settings yet, but I will. The thing that has occured to me is that each Tonewood effect has preset levels for gain, volume, decay, depth, etc. that can be adjusted. Once I take care of the feedback issues I plan to play with the settings on each of the effects. It would be REALLY helpful if there was a "library" of effect settings that others have used that work well for them. It would be a very helpful starting point to play with the settings to dial in the best, or at least favorite, effect for others to try. I was surprised to see that the other comments in this thread are from 2016, nothing newer. It seems like this should be a more active thread. I will post some of my suggested settings after I deal with the feedback and start playing around with some settings.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:16 AM

Question Tonewoodamp settings

I'm a bluegrass flatpicker, and just receive this doodad (I always think the more I spend the better I'll get!).

I'm having issues trying to set this thing up. Onboard a Martin HD28E are: Vol, Enhance, Tone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... settings on the onboard adjustments, and where do I set the TonewoodAmp.

I'm just trying to get just a bit more volume, and some reverb without feedback. Most of the other features are of no use to me in a jam.

Which knob, what feature, which level... elementary stuff. After I play with your recommended settings, then I can mess around with it. Frustrated right now trying to figure this thing out.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earnestw View Post
I'm a bluegrass flatpicker, and just receive this doodad (I always think the more I spend the better I'll get!).

I'm having issues trying to set this thing up. Onboard a Martin HD28E are: Vol, Enhance, Tone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... settings on the onboard adjustments, and where do I set the TonewoodAmp.

I'm just trying to get just a bit more volume, and some reverb without feedback. Most of the other features are of no use to me in a jam.

Which knob, what feature, which level... elementary stuff. After I play with your recommended settings, then I can mess around with it. Frustrated right now trying to figure this thing out.

You may be pushing the intended use of the amp.

I may be misunderstanding your comment though about more volume for jams.

I have found that these work the best if you have the amps volume just about matching the volume of the guitar unamplified. I found you can push it a bit, but feed back definitely comes in if you push that too far.

I don't know if the intended design is to make your guitar & TWA like an acoustic amp would be (like LOTS louder) Some one else may have a different idea, but this is what I've come to learn about this amp. eg: about the volume of your guitar, just WITH effects added.

Does the feedback issue go away when you lower the pickups volume control?

I usually don't have the guitar's pickup volume control dimed (eg: all the way up).. usually just past the mid way point or maybe like 3 o'clock depends on the pickup

I set the volume on the FX to around 20. Then I set the Decay to how "WET" I want the sound to be. Sometimes less is more for my ears. (17/18)

Gain on the FX is some where tween 8 and 10. A lot depends on the effect.

I only use the reverbs and the combo (delay / reverb)

Hi cut up pretty high on most patches (above 14)

Also, If you're seeing the "clip" alert on the LCD, you will want to back off your master gain. Obviously Hotter pickup systems will clip faster. I have two acoustics with infinity matrix pickups, believe it or not, they both respond to the pickup very differently. My Yari Dy74 has more output than my Taylor Grand Symphony. I have the master gain set very low for the Yari (10) and for the Taylor, I set it at around 20 or 25. (I select Gtr#1, Gtr#2 etc in the global settings based on what guitar I'm using with my TWA)

To fight feed back try to use the hi cut in the FX setting to help.

The notch filter settings are really where you need to experiment in my experience to really work the feedback for that particular guitar.

Make sure that your X brace the amp attaches to is not positioned where the suction cup on the TWA sitting where an internal lateral brace on the back is positioned. That just does BAD things to the sound. Also ensure that suction cup is as flat on the back as possible. Move the amp back and forth where the magnets are, and find the place where the suction cup is totally resting on the back's surface.

hope that sheds a bit of light..

Last edited by rmp; 08-17-2020 at 01:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification