The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-20-2021, 07:59 AM

Default Help Please: McPherson Touring String Recommendations for D Standard Tuning?

Hoping some of you can help me work through a string dilemma on my McPherson Touring. I love the guitar but can't seem to find a set of strings that gives me enough tension in my preferred D standard tuning. I'm a 60/40 strummer/picker and find D standard gives me better range for singing. I've been successful using their recommended Elixir 80/20 Nanoweb mediums a half step down, but they're too loose for a full step. I also find them too bright for my liking. FWIW, I typically use Monels on my wood guitars, but have been working through other string choices on the Touring in search of the tension I need.

Can you guys recommend a string that will give me more warmth than the Elixir 80/20's and more string tension to get down to D standard tuning? I've never tried Elixir 80/20 Polywebs, which would answer the brightness question, but not the string tension.

Thanks

Last edited by thegreatgumbino; 09-20-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:16 AM

Phosphor bronze will have more tension than 80/20 at the same gauge.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Phosphor bronze will have more tension than 80/20 at the same gauge.
Interesting. I was unaware. Thanks for the heads up. I've been an avid Monel fan for the last 5 years or so and am out of touch with PB & 80/20's.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:20 PM

I'm enjoying DR Sunbeam 13's on my Sable. Warm and a little easier on the fingers. No idea if they'll work using your parameters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber