The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-10-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Wonderful story Martin. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Perhaps your 5 year old will build you a guitar for retirement! I hope you enjoy that beautiful guitar for a lifetime.
The same thought crossed my mind while I was going through this. I've had my current guitar for 25 years. If I replace the Taran in another 25 years for my retirement, I need to get him interested and training ASAP! It's been a real pleasure to share this with him. I even let him choose the colour of the case.
I'm getting my excuses in early, but I can only blame myself. I did give him a pre-vetted list to choose from.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
I even let him choose the colour of the case.
Its one thing I still cant decide on... you can create some strange and freaky combinations on the Calton site!
Old 09-11-2021, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
Its one thing I still cant decide on... you can create some strange and freaky combinations on the Calton site!
Happy to provide a 5 year old for consultation services. But you have to be happy with an orange case!
Old 09-12-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Happy to provide a 5 year old for consultation services. But you have to be happy with an orange case!

(the 'at least 10 characters'...)
Old 10-15-2021, 01:06 PM

Default Waiting seems to be the hardest part

I got a brief update earlier today to say that everything's going to plan in the spray room which was lovely to hear. I have to say that I've found the waiting through this stage to be the hardest wait because it's so close, and yet not close enough.

The one thing that has made me laugh is that I've had several dreams about collecting it and they've all been highly stressful.

In the first one, I went up to collect it and it was just a terrible guitar - nothing like any of the ones I'd played, completely dead. I was just gutted. And I could not work out how to break it to Rory because I knew he'd be gutted too.

In the second one the guitar was terrible again and then, just as I was about to talk to Rory about it, it miraculously became amazing!

The third one was my favourite so far. Something had gone wrong in the finishing so he just decided to dye it red! And then he couldn't work out why I was upset.

I had another one last night, and the world and his dog had all had a chance to play it before I did so it was well worn by the time it got to me.

I really think it will be a relief when it's done.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I got a brief update earlier today to say that everything's going to plan in the spray room which was lovely to hear. I have to say that I've found the waiting through this stage to be the hardest wait because it's so close, and yet not close enough.

The one thing that has made me laugh is that I've had several dreams about collecting it and they've all been highly stressful.

In the first one, I went up to collect it and it was just a terrible guitar - nothing like any of the ones I'd played, completely dead. I was just gutted. And I could not work out how to break it to Rory because I knew he'd be gutted too.

In the second one the guitar was terrible again and then, just as I was about to talk to Rory about it, it miraculously became amazing!

The third one was my favourite so far. Something had gone wrong in the finishing so he just decided to dye it red! And then he couldn't work out why I was upset.

I had another one last night, and the world and his dog had all had a chance to play it before I did so it was well worn by the time it got to me.

I really think it will be a relief when it's done.
Sorry but the dreams are hilarious.

I’m sure they won’t come true, your guitar will be superb. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post

I’m sure they won’t come true, your guitar will be superb. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

+1

You will love it!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 10-16-2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
+1

You will love it!
Indeed! The dreams are ridiculous and worthy of laughing at. In my waking hours I have no concerns at all and am just excited about getting it. I know I'm going to love it. I just have some trouble reassuring my subconscious!
Old 10-17-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

The two dreams I’ve had about receiving mine has been wonderful and I was playing things on it which I couldn’t play in real life haha...hope you have a few of those. Got to play the DS8 at Cedar Rock again the other day and it just completely blew everything else I had played away...by a wide margin. I can’t describe how excited I am to receive mine in December.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 10-17-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
The two dreams I’ve had about receiving mine has been wonderful and I was playing things on it which I couldn’t play in real life haha...hope you have a few of those. Got to play the DS8 at Cedar Rock again the other day and it just completely blew everything else I had played away...by a wide margin. I can’t describe how excited I am to receive mine in December.
Thanks Dustin, I wish I had dreams like those. I bet I know how excited you are. I've been practicing more than I have for years just so I can feel like I can do the guitar justice!

Martin Simpson's Adirondack and ABW guitar blew my mind - it was just so good. I came VERY close to ordering a replica. I've never heard one of Rory's with EIR back and sides so I can't wait to hear how mine stacks up. I'd have happily lived with any of the guitars I've had in my hands over the last two years though so I'm sure I'll be a happy customer. And then I can find other things to have stressful dreams about.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post

I’m shocked that that guitar is still available for purchase (assuming that it is.)
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 10-18-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
I’m shocked that that guitar is still available for purchase (assuming that it is.)
Its sold ;-)
Old 10-29-2021, 01:26 PM

I had a visit to Taran Guitars today and came home with a guitar. First impressions are very positive. The dream fears were unfounded.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I had a visit to Taran Guitars today and came home with a guitar. First impressions are very positive. The dream fears were unfounded.
Awesome! Can’t wait to see it.

Old 10-29-2021, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Stunning!!!

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop