The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 06:45 PM

Just started Dan Jones book "The Wars of the Roses." about, well, the Wars of the Roses.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
Finished Cities of the Plain, by Cormac McCarthy- the last in his border triliogy- and the best IMO- although I didn't care for the epilogue-
Been waiting to reread this after 10 years.
I find translating all the spanish a little tiring...
Old 10-18-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Been waiting to reread this after 10 years.
I find translating all the spanish a little tiring...
Yes- me too.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:54 AM

Just finished John Grisham's Sooley- it's about college basketball and one player, in particular, from South Sudan- good story.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
Just finished John Grisham's Sooley- it's about college basketball and one player, in particular, from South Sudan- good story.
I liked that one too. You might also get a kick out of I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe. Hugely entertaining and illuminating.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:10 PM

Just finished a great Thomas Jefferson biography titled Thomas Jefferson: American Sphinx, by the prolific and talented American Revolution historian James Ellis and have now started on the latest offering by Victor Davis Hansen, one of the greatest historians on the planet, titled The Dying Citizen. Just from reading the preface I can tell this is going to be one great read, as is anything written by VDH.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:57 AM

Just finished books 1-5 in Nick Pirog's 3:00 AM (Henry Bins) series. Each book runs about 100 pages and could be thought of as a chapter in a longer novel. Based on the idea that the main character suffers from a disease which renders him unconscious for 23 hours out of each day, Pirog's writing delivers a wonderfully creative plot done with suspense and humor in a fast-paced narrative. It's not a work of fine literature, but it's as quick and addictively fun a read as I've had in a long time.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-19-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Book 1 of 2 in another Nordic series. Clever plot and simple writing move this one along at a rapid clip. I look forward to book 2.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:34 PM

Stephen King's If It Bleeds. It contains four short stories. I'm not a big fan of the short story but one of them has Holly Gibney from the Mr Mercedes Bill Hodges trilogy. I've always liked her character so I'm looking forward to reading that one.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Just finished books 1-5 in Nick Pirog's 3:00 AM (Henry Bins) series. Each book runs about 100 pages and could be thought of as a chapter in a longer novel. Based on the idea that the main character suffers from a disease which renders him unconscious for 23 hours out of each day, Pirog's writing delivers a wonderfully creative plot done with suspense and humor in a fast-paced narrative. It's not a work of fine literature, but it's as quick and addictively fun a read as I've had in a long time.

This concept intrigues the hell out of me. As we (all) advance in age, we - as a species - develop/acquire "walking" maladies and limitations that profoundly impact our daily struggles for survival (diabetes, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, debilitating allergies, renal failure, etc.). My struggle, at this point, is to get my library to acquire this series in audiobook format. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-20-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
This concept intrigues the hell out of me. As we (all) advance in age, we - as a species - develop/acquire "walking" maladies and limitations that profoundly impact our daily struggles for survival (diabetes, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, debilitating allergies, renal failure, etc.). My struggle, at this point, is to get my library to acquire this series in audiobook format. Thanks for the tip!
This series (books 1-5) came up on a Kindle deal about a month ago for $1.99. When I read the short description of the storyline I was intrigued as well. It may be the best bargain in a book purchase I've ever made. Hope your library is able to acquire the audiobook, but if not Amazon currently has a deal on an Audible version of the series that includes a free trial that might interest you.

Here's a link to the Audible free trial.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-21-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I am reading the autobiography of Rickie Lee Jones. The first half was hard to read, as it's about her screwed-up childhood and early teens.

But the second half, where she begins work on her first album, is really interesting.

I love that album.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:59 AM

2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 10-22-2021, 01:39 PM

That seems like an interesting read. I've never heard of that book so I googled the wiki page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post

<<snippet pic>>
Old 10-22-2021, 02:11 PM

Just finished "Last Chance Texaco" which Rickie Lee Jones says took her 7 years to write. A very interesting book and very well written. If it was done without a ghost writer a great feat, if it's really real.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic