The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Tell me about your Martin DSS-17

Finally played one today and I loved it. When I tried the smaller 17's over a year ago, I didn't care for them so I wasn't running out to try this one. But what a surprise!

I went to Music Zoo to try an M-36 and it was gone. I tried everything else I could pick up but nothing was exciting me. Martin Standard dreads still felt like a load of furniture on my lap. Tried Gibson's, nah. Tried a Lowden O-35, yeah, yeah, but it was over $7000. Tried a few more Martins and even tried the new Taylor 317. It's beautiful but not exciting at all to play.

The DSS-17 is like an ugly duckling compared to that Taylor, but from the first strum of an open G, it was like the duckling that roared.

And it feels comfortable to play! I thought it was bigger than a Standard dread but to me, it feels so much more comfortable.

I want one. One minute I want black, the next I want whiskey. I don't care, I just want one!

Tell me about yours!
Old 04-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Guest 728

I've never played one, but at one time I owned the all-mahogany version -- a D15S Custom. Ive never played a louder guitar in my life!

EDIT: I thought the DSS17 was a 12-fret, like mine. The comparison may not be accurate.

Last edited by Guest 728; 04-03-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’ve had mine for a couple months now and I’m still loving it. What I said in my NGD thread (see below) is still true. At this price point it may be the best bang-for-your-buck in guitardom these days. Amazing how much volume Martin got from this beauty by adding 1/2” to the width of the lower bout compared to a standard dread...

My NGD thread:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=537623

Here’s the Music Villa review...Quinton seems smitten by it, too.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Hey Roy...what is the body depth at the tailblock? Thanks!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-03-2019, 02:35 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Hey Roy...what is the body depth at the tailblock? Thanks!

Looks like 4 7/8”...same as a standard dread. Or at least the same as my D-41 (which I measured, too.).

Old 04-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Roy, while you've got the measuring stick out, can you measure the waist verses you d-41.

I don't understand why the dss feels more comfortable than a Standard dread.

thanks
Old 04-03-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Roy!

Old 04-03-2019, 03:31 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Roy, while you've got the measuring stick out, can you measure the waist verses you d-41.

I don't understand why the dss feels more comfortable than a Standard dread.

thanks

DSS-17 looks to be 10 7/8” at the waist; the D-41 is 10 3/4”.

Interesting you find the slope to be more comfortable. I don’t find it uncomfortable at all...but I definitely notice the extra 1/2” on the lower bout when I play seated, which is about 99% of the time. The D-41 is, to me, SUPER comfortable. Maybe those soft shoulders are doing it for you?

Last edited by Rev Roy; 04-03-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:43 PM

I actually spoke with Maury of Maury's Music about this very guitar today.
He is waiting for an order with a DSS 17 Black Smoke right now from Martin.
They are back ordered just about everywhere. You do have the option of a burst. Personally, I like the Black Smoke and I already own the best burst there is.
Maury posted a short You Tube video on this guitar. His is video decent, but the one with Corey Congilio is much better.
From what my ears tell me, this thing is a cannon, very light build and the finish is ultra thin. It sounds great and I would choose it over the Taylor 317 all day, every day. It's being offered at $1559 but I'm wondering at what price it can be had. It comes with a soft case which isn't a deal-breaker for me. If you want a hard case, Maury has ones that will work for an extra $150.
One of the questions I asked Maury was his opinion of a comparison between the DSS 17 and a D18 tone-wise. He wouldn't bite. That's ok, I'll find out for myself.
Since I already own the D18, I definitely wouldn't want any overlap.
It seems this guitar is getting some hype from players.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I really can't say that I love the look of either. I think I'd get the Black Smoke but I'd have to change the pick-guard to black. But then I think I'd be happy with the Whiskey. But it won't matter if I go out and play a few more that sound as good and feel as good as it did today!
Old 04-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I have a 00-17 12 fret Black Smoke and I'm always amazed by how resonant and loud it is for such a small guitar. It's not a black paint either...more like an opaque stain with some grey in there too. I like satin finishes (probably from my Larrivee 03 days?) and the fact that it's so light does contribute to the overall tonal effect IMO.
Regarding how this DSS-17 compares to the D-18 (post 2012) I have to believe that the 18 is much more rich (not a tern usually associated with a mahogany back and sides Martin dread) sounding. The 17 will most likely be way more dry and woody. At least that's how the 0017s sounds.
All that being said...I sold an old D-15 I kept at my river cabin a week ago and have kinda been looking to replace it. All this chatter about the DSS-17 made me contact Jon @ MFG and he had one in Whiskey Sunset. So I took the bait and went to the bottom! Should be here next week. I'll certainly share my opinion then. You guys are such a bad influence?!?

Old 04-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I have a 00-17 12 fret Black Smoke and I'm always amazed by how resonant and loud it is for such a small guitar. It's not a black paint either...more like an opaque stain with some grey in there too. I like satin finishes (probably from my Larrivee 03 days?) and the fact that it's so light does contribute to the overall tonal effect IMO.
Regarding how this DSS-17 compares to the D-18 (post 2012) I have to believe that the 18 is much more rich (not a tern usually associated with a mahogany back and sides Martin dread) sounding. The 17 will most likely be way more dry and woody. At least that's how the 0017s sounds.
All that being said...I sold an old D-15 I kept at my river cabin a week ago and have kinda been looking to replace it. All this chatter about the DSS-17 made me contact Jon @ MFG and he had one in Whiskey Sunset. So I took the bait and went to the bottom! Should be here next week. I'll certainly share my opinion then. You guys are such a bad influence?!?
Good for you, Jim. Hope you love it. I think you’re going to find it’s quite a bit different than that 00-17. Looking forward to your NGD thread.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Roy!

Old 04-03-2019, 08:55 PM

I've had a severe case of GAS since I first seen this.

I have my share of Gibson's and Martin's, but now I'd consider adding one of these. To the point that I've asked a local dealer to bring one in so I can check it out, with no obligation to walk out with it (yea, right!).
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 04-04-2019, 09:04 PM

Have a DSS-17 WS inbound.

Found a floor demo at about $350 below MAP so figured if I was going to have one of these in the near future I probably wasn't going to find a better deal.

I'll post pics and video when she makes her debut.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion