The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-23-2002, 06:41 AM

Thumbs up Just PLayed a Liberty Tree

I dropped into my neighborhood shop (Rudy's in NYC) and saw a LTG for the first time. WWWWOOOOWWW! If you think it looks beautiful in the pictures, you should see one in person. I can't see spending that money for a guitar, and I'm not big on over-the-top eye candy, but that guitar is just stunning. The tulip poplar was amazing and the inlays were perfect.

I asked him if I could play it (I bought a Taylor there recently ) He winced slightly and asked me to promise only to play it in the first position, so I wouldn't mess up the fretboard inlay. Boy, it sounded sweet too. Very mellow and warm, but with crystal clear tone. It sounds every bit as good as it looks. Everyone should see this guitar before they die.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:43 AM

Question

what is the first position?
Old 08-23-2002, 07:57 AM

Question first position

do i need to look in the "kama sutra" manual for that one?

I bet that was awesome though, a chance to play one. I probably won't get a chance to even see one. I would imagine it is almost to nice to play.
Obviously its already a collectors item. Only the big boys can afford that guitar.

bukwheat
Old 08-23-2002, 08:22 AM
Guitar Gourmet

First position contains the first three frets.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-23-2002, 09:42 AM

I played a Liberty a few weeks ago at Wildwood Music in Ohio. The owners INSISTED I play it even though I was a bit hesitant. Of course, I had just purchased a 910.

Though I don't like small body guitars generally, this one did sound nice - and it is a beauty. I have to agree with you, Stuart, about laying out that kind of money for it. For me, it would be strictly an investment... I'd be afraid to take it out of the case when I got it home.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:18 AM
meridian

Stuart,

Rudy's is a great shop! Rudy himself once helped me find a great portable music stand as a gift for a cellist friend. A $30 purchase, but he treated me like I was the best customer he'd ever have! Class act!

If I hadn't had a huge store credit at Sam Ash from Florida, I woulda checked them out more thoroughly on my last Taylor purchase!

My question is about "competitiveness." Is Rudy's "competitive" with Manny's SA, etc. Or do they get a somewhat higher price for their (much) better service?

No violating the "don't discuss pricing" rule now, just email me if you have something to say that you shouldn't post here!

Thanks
Old 08-23-2002, 11:40 AM

Regarding Rudy's . . .

Without getting specific about price, I bought my 355 there recently and I paid only slightly (about the price of a set of Elixers ) more than at GC. As for Manny's, there prices are pretty good, as are Sam Ash's across the street. But it's not like Rudy's. Rudy's has a better selection of premium guitars, much better humidity control and really nice, knowledgeable people. I kinda put Manny's (Yo, DUDE, is that a narly axe or what?) in the same boat with Sam Ash and GC.

And yes, Rudy is a terrific guy. I'm told he also has an amazing persoanl guitar collection, with some guitars that are worth more than my first house.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:52 PM

I have a LTG and agree that it is a great guitar. It is different than any other Taylor I've played. It has a warm tone, but the note articulation is cyrstal clear. I suspect that it would record exceptionally well. Pricewise, it's less expensive than a Presentation series, but has that great American history behind it.

The LTG is a perfect example of why I like dealing with Taylor so much....they are always LISTENING to people and will to risk trying different things. Try to get Martin to do either of these two(I have!).

Yet another Taylor sucess story!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2002, 03:10 PM

When I first played a LTG at the NAMM show I was not very excited. The guitar looked wonderful in everyway possible. But I wasn't particularly impressed with the sound. For me the sound has to be there otherwise I'm not going to buy it. But as I thought about it I decided that it was a true piece of history, something that was unique, and therefore worth the investment. Even if it meant trading or selling guitars to acquire it. Then it arrived and I wondered what was different about this guitar from the one I tried at NAMM. The sound was incredible and was unique in that it sounded slightly different than other Taylors. I don't know if it was the ambient noise at NAMM or what but this guitar is amazing. Leave it to Taylor to make truly unique guitars that also sound great!
Old 08-23-2002, 03:38 PM
Me

At a friend’s house I played a beautiful one with a 3-piece back. (I think there are only a couple of 3 piece back LTGs.) Lots of black and marbling in the wood. It was gorgeous! The detail on the guitar is fabulous, even if the flag is backwards! (The blue field is always supposed to be up and to the left.) The sound was not good. It did not help that I was switching it off with an older KLSM. But I would not have bought it for the sound. My friend bought it as an investment.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:03 PM

Ive never seen one but would sure like to just strum a few chords on one someday. JW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification