The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-12-2002, 01:14 PM

Unhappy Help! Best mike for live guitar playing

I am confused on what to get. I want a good mike to use when I play live in certain situations . I use a no E guitar to play some songs with and when I started looking I did not realize that there were so many different types of microphones. It appears to me some are better for recording and some are better for live guitar miking. Also small or large diaphram and condensor or dynamic mike. I would love to use someone else's expertise and experience on this topic. dink
Old 08-12-2002, 01:21 PM

If you can get ahold of the sound folks at Taylor, I'm sure they could give you some good suggestions, though they're likely to be expensive ones. They set up a mic for my guitar that sounded great, but I was a little too distracted to see the brand or model number.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:23 PM

Default Best mike for live miking of an acoustic guitar

Help!I am confused on what to get. I want a good mike to use when I play live in certain situations . I use a no E guitar to play some songs with and when I started looking I did not realize that there were so many different types of microphones. It appears to me some are better for recording and some are better for live guitar miking. Also small or large diaphram and condensor or dynamic mike. I would love to use someone else's expertise and experience on this topic. dink

PS I think I put this originally in the wrong place
Old 08-12-2002, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Dink, I am no expert on this one but I have used an audio technica 4033 in a live situation and it worked ok but it seemed to be a little too unidirectional and I got a lot of crowd bleed. A small capsule shotgun type may be a better mic for live. I have an audio technica 4051 that is more suited for that. Rode makes a small condenser called the NT3 that is quite reasonable. I have one but I haven't had a chance to demo it yet. i used the 4033 to record acoustic guitar with and it works great in that environment. There are so many mics out there and the prices have really come down so you should be able to find a suitable one for a decent price.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:20 PM

I don't know how difficult this is, but try to contact the sound people at Taylor's performance venue. They set up a small mic for my guitar during the open mic session and some of the folks there said that it sounded great. I'm afraid I was a little too distracted to catch the name, though. I'm guessing that that mic is very expensive, but they might have some good, lower-cost alternatives.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:22 PM

Talking

Bob Womack where are ya when a TGFer needs ya?
Old 08-12-2002, 07:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Been up to my ears in production today. I'd go with a small-diaphragm condenser, because you'll have to roll out much of the large-diaphragm mic's low-end to prevent feedback. AKG-451, Neuman km184, Shure Sm-81 are three pro mics which come to mind. On the inexpensive end, Marshall's MXL603S is a sweet mic. It reminds me of the Neuman km184. Remember to provide phantom power (p48).

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-12-2002, 08:23 PM

Talking

Thanks Bob, that is all I wanted to hear from the expert. I was and am too lazy to do the research on this subject. dink
Old 08-12-2002, 09:12 PM

I agree with the small diaphram cardoid condenser suggestion.

Audio Technica 4041 and 3031

Rode NT3

Shure SM81

Marshall 603

Oktava MC012
Old 08-13-2002, 07:59 AM

Dink....
....if you'd like, you're welcome to borrow our large condenser mic to try it out for a few days......

However, you will need a 48v phantom power supply for it......fairly common on all modern mixers though.

Rick
Old 08-13-2002, 08:03 AM

Dink......
.......hmmmmm.....you must have two threads going on this.....

I see here that the suggestions are for small diaphram condensers, but, for testing purposes, you're welcome to try our large diaphram condenser mic.....it's a cardiod pattern and will also require 48v phantom power.....most modern mixers will accomodate that just fine.....

Later...
Rick
Old 08-22-2002, 06:46 PM

Shure 57 works pretty good and the price is fair. JW
Old 08-22-2002, 08:24 PM

I talked with the sound guys at TS, cause I liked the vocal mike sound, and they said that the setup had a major influence (kinda don't expect the same results)....the small condenser they used to mike the guitars that weren't plugged in was a Sennheiser, model unknown.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Hey JW - you mentioned the Shure SM57 and I know it has a great reputation, but I can't get a very strong signal through mine. I got an Avlex SuperPro condensor from Steve314 that does a great job for me.

Not that anyone would use it for serious recording, but I found something that I make quick down and dirty rough drafts with... vocal and guitar on one track, mostly to remember melodies that pop through my head.

I got a Radio Shack lavalier condensor mic. It's about 1/2" long and has a clip on it that I attach to my shirt. The attached cord is about 3' long. It's power is supplied by a hearing aid battery. If I do a quick draft to send to a friend and the guitar is too loud, I'll move the mic up my shirt closer to my throat, farther from the guitar. It brings out the voice and works great. Honestly, the sound isn't bad either, but not the quality of the Avlex.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm tying this thread to the parallel thread in "Reviews":

Go here for more

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification