The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-05-2002, 05:39 PM

Default Pickups??

I just bought a Taylor K20C and would like a nice pickup for it... Obviously, I do not want to hack the guitar up to install it but I also do not want one that mounts in the soundhole... Any input on what pickup makes the best sound with minimal installation alterations required... Not totally against some invisible mounting but want it to be capable and not requiring a blender...

Thanks up front for any help...
Old 07-05-2002, 08:32 PM

B-Band is my favorite. Search the threads for lots of info.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:20 AM
O'Dadgad rules.

Default pickups for k20c

that's good that you know what you want. a sidemounted system means cutting out the wood, and that actually is not a warranted installation for taylor guitars, as i believe they prefer to install side mount-bracing in the upper bout of the guitar, and aftermarket installations, well, probably have a hard time doing that. soundhole pickups do get in the way of your fingers. what's left? undersaddles with mics or undersaddles with vibration sensative SBT (sound-board transducers). You can have a very invisible system installed with dual source capability or mono-output capability with the Lr Baggs dual Source system. it incorporates a vibration sensative undersaddle pickup (Ribbon Transducer) with an internal condenser mic. the preamp has notch, phase reversal, and the soundhole mounted volume control can act in mono or stereo control over your sound. the step down from the baggs dual source system is the Double Barrel. it incorporates the same preamp, RT, and condenser mic as the dual source, but without soundhole mounted volume control. that system is very good if you have an external preamp such as a Rane AP13, Pendulum SPS-1, or Fishman Pocket/Acoustic Blender. I know the NS taylors have a dual source system in the NS62ce and NS72ce, but they're not internal mic/undersaddle systems as the 500-PS series taylors have. you could incorporate an undersaddle with a soundboard transducer and it could perform pretty well too. overall tho, an internal mic during performance can be harnessed for it's capabilities far better than a soundboard transducer or undersaddle pickup can. B-band is also a great maker of pickups. a friend of mine runs his 25th aniv braz. 710 with B-band undersaddle and internal mic through a Raven Labs acoustic pre into a SWR strawberry blonde, and the sound is simply wonderful. sorry if i've beaten the topic to death guys....i'm sure others would love to share more input

ira duncan
[email protected]
Old 07-10-2002, 11:53 AM

F-150, V-8 with 2-1/2" pipes.

(sorry)
Old 07-10-2002, 12:58 PM

What's your astrological sign? Still not what you're looking for?
I'm sorry too!

Old 07-22-2002, 03:58 AM

???

Bowtie guy so no go on the Ford....

Leo but confused....

Looks like the I-Beam will be were I end up...

THX
Old 07-23-2002, 08:52 AM
Cocobologist

I put an I-Beam active in my LKSM6, and it sounds great. Actually, it only sounded okay when I initially installed, but once the adhesive cured, the tone seemed to fill out a bit and now sounds great. Very natural. The hardest part of the install is finding the proper place to secure on the soundboard to get the best balanced tone. A bit of trial and error, but definitely worth the effort.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 08-01-2002, 09:54 AM
Tayloresque

I did a lot of research on pick-ups/pre-amps to install in my new 814c (received 3 weeks a go). There's a lot of good PU/PA systems on the market, but after reading reviews on a lot of different ones, I finally decided on the PUTW (Pick Up The World) #27 PU/PowerPlug PA that David Enke produces. It's very reasonable in price too. The PA is an end-pin jack model that has a volume control. I'm waiting to change my strings for the first time to install the PU/PA at the same time. Therefore, I can't comment on how the guitar sound s with it at this point. But if it'll be anything like I've read many others say, I shouldn't be disappointed.

You may want to check it out before making your final decision:
http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/

Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 08-09-2002, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RV Doc
F-150, V-8 with 2-1/2" pipes.

(sorry)
Z71 with the Bose JW
Old 08-14-2002, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tayloresque
I did a lot of research on pick-ups/pre-amps to install in my new 814c (received 3 weeks a go). There's a lot of good PU/PA systems on the market, but after reading reviews on a lot of different ones, I finally decided on the PUTW (Pick Up The World) #27 PU/PowerPlug PA that David Enke produces. It's very reasonable in price too. The PA is an end-pin jack model that has a volume control. I'm waiting to change my strings for the first time to install the PU/PA at the same time. Therefore, I can't comment on how the guitar sound s with it at this point. But if it'll be anything like I've read many others say, I shouldn't be disappointed.

You may want to check it out before making your final decision:
http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom

How did it sound? I know this is ignorant, but how do you install the pickup?

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 08-30-2002, 11:17 AM

Get a Mackie board, Crowne Amp, and some JVC cabinets and everything sounds good!- although a little pricey.
Taylor Baby Koa
Fender American Standard Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification