The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 01:26 PM

Default The Travel Guitar Thread

Well, summer is here, which for most of us means travel, and outdoor fun, and if you're like me, having a guitar with you makes all summer activities even better. So on this, the second day of summer, I thought it would be fun to discuss the types of travel guitars available, and also discuss our favorites.

I started collecting travel guitars about 20 years ago, so I've owned most worth owning, and still own a bunch, and for me, there are three distinct categories to consider when looking for a travel guitar. Here they are, along with my favorites:

The "beater":

This is usually, but not always a full size acoustic, with the main selling point being cost, and/or durability. More often than not, the "beater" is a cheaper guitar than one you might normally play, it can be a $99 GC special, or a $1500 Martin 15 series, depending on your budget, and it can also be an expensive carbon fiber guitar, one that is totally impervious to the elements.

Over the last decade and a half, my main "beater" has been my Rainsong OM, but lately it's slowly being replaced by my 12-fret Rainsong Dreadnought with Black Ice top. These two guitars are good enough to be my only guitars, and they can live in my SUV permanently. Not something you'd want to do with any of your wood guitars.

The 3/4 size, or slightly larger acoustic:

This group of guitars are usually marketed towards kids, as well as for travel, they include guitars like the Baby Taylor, Martin LX, Ovation AN13, Journey Junior, and Overhead models, Composite Acoustics Cargo, and many others. The 3/4 size acoustic is a hugely popular option for travel because you can take them just about anywhere, they are easy to play, and can sound quite good. Folks willing to deal with a slightly larger guitar can look to the Taylor GS Mini, Martin DJR, the Journey Roadtrip models, or parlors from a number of builders like Eastman or Rainsong. The parlor/0 size guitars provide better playability, and a bigger voice than the 3/4 size guitars, and they can travel to most places a 3/4 size guitar can go. You can find a good 3/4 size, or slightly larger travel guitar priced from a few hundred dollars, to many thousands depending on your budget, and needs.

In this group, my favorites are the Composite Acoustics Cargo, the Rainsong Parlor, the Journey RT660, and my new Blackbird Savoy. I would be happy spending the entire summer with any one of these guitars, they are all that good. Yes, like my favorite "beaters" none of these are wood either. Are you sensing a pattern?

The Sub-Compact acoustic:

These are the smallest acoustics available, and while you will have to sacrifice some tone, and maybe some playability, the sub-compact guitars are by far the most travel friendly acoustics you can own. These guitars can hang with you anywhere, even accompany you on hikes and backpacking. This group includes the Martin Backpacker, and the Washburn Rover, guitars that are not know for great tone, but it also includes the Go Grand, the Stringsmith Vagabond, and Blackbird Rider, guitars that sound surprisingly good, guitars that can easily compete with most of the 3/4 size guitars out there.

In this group my two favorites are the Go Grand, and the Blackbird Rider. Yes, finally a wood guitar. My Go has been on many day hikes over the years, but more often than not, I grab my Blackbird Rider when I need a sub-compact. While it's a bit heavier than the Go, the tone is amazing for the size, and the carbon fiber construction means I can enjoy the summer activities without worrying about my guitar.

So, with all the great options out there, which guitar will you be traveling with this summer, and why? If you have pictures, let's see them. Here I am butchering some songs with my Rainsong Dread last summer at our vacation home in the local mountains. My Rainsong sounds amazing, and it just loves the dry mountain air.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 PM

My beater / travel guitar used to be my 25 year old Seagull S6 bought sued for $200. It still is if I have to fly, ensconced in an SKB I-series flight case (a gig bag is my suitcase for non-breakable clothing). But I try really really hard not to fly at all any more.

My out-of-the-house guitars are CF these days. At the fiddle festival in Weiser last weekend and again this coming weekend, it is comforting to know that my carbon fiber guitar doesn't really care if it get up to 95° -- although I certainly melt well before then. CF also works well when I have to travel to Arid-zona to visit MIL. No humidity worries, and no temperature panic while I go inside briefly for lunch while on the road.

Oh, and Ted -- try not to have so much fun on vacation, dude!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

If it were me, I would separate CFfrom beater category.

I would think of them as:

Beater - defined by being a cheap guitar that you wont be upset if it gets wear and tear from travel and outdoor use. Cheapness being the main factor. CF's are definitely not in the beater cost range. Think campfire.

Impervious - guitars like CF whose defininf featrure is that you can use them "anywhere", like the top of a ski slope or paddling a canoe. Think ski trip

3/4 size - Being almost a "real guitar". Think summer home.

Sub-compact - Zany designs that are tiny. Think business trip hotel.

Silent - main defining factor that it can be used anywhere without bothering others. Think airport lobby.

For me I liked (briefly) a Traveler Ultralight Acoustic (on paper, anyway). The neck was "real sized" which seemed great, but I was not adaptable to the bodysize.

I tried a GS Mini and loved it but couldn't adapt to the size.

sigh......none on my horizon.....I might build a franken-silent with geometry I like.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I'm a big travel sized guitar guy. I'm 20 so I'm back and forth from college a bit. I like to take my Martin LX1E or my Taylor GS Mini Mahogany to college as they're both beaters to me and I'll just say that both of them have seen and witnessed great experiences. This year, as I'm going from dorm to apartment, I'll take along either the martin or taylor as my beater, but bring along a nicer variant either my 1949 gibson LG-3 or my 1941 martin 0-17 for apartment only strumming. thinking about adding a nick lucas here to the mix next year
Old 06-22-2017, 01:46 PM

I am about to purchase a travel guitar (for the exact reasons you described, Ted) and find this thread inspiring.

Right now I am considering the Voyage Air OM-02 which would give me:

1. the advantage of playing a full-scale guitar, yet portable because of I can fold it
2. a "rather impervious" instrument as it's all laminate wood
3. a cheap instrument: $459

But then I look at the Journey OF660 and I think "oh boy...".
Then I look at the GS Mini Mahogany and I think "oh boy...".

Ll.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewlyn View Post
I am about to purchase a travel guitar (for the exact reasons you described, Ted) and find this thread inspiring.

Right now I am considering the Voyage Air OM-02 which would give me:

1. the advantage of playing a full-scale guitar, yet portable because of I can fold it
2. a "rather impervious" instrument as it's all laminate wood
3. a cheap instrument: $459

But then I look at the Journey OF660 and I think "oh boy...".
Then I look at the GS Mini Mahogany and I think "oh boy...".

Ll.
get the GS mini!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:58 PM

Then there is the foldable category (Voyage Air, Journey...)

After having try all the available options I knew of, I choose twelve years ago a couple of Brunner's, one full body redwood/walnut :

[IMG][/IMG]

and one 3/4 carbon :

[IMG][/IMG]

Consequently, my need for travel guitars is covered, because it's difficult to find better, but of course, the Brunner's come at a price.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic

Last edited by jpbat; 06-22-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have traveled the last few summers with my Pono 0 12 fretter and it works well for me as a travel guitar. It is light weight and has a good solid case. I gate check it mostly and have had no incidents or problems as long as I pack it right in the case. It has managed both the desert of Arizona and the humidity of a North Carolina summer equally well.

I almost bought a Voyage Air at one time and have heard great things about the Brunner's. I could certainly see owning a Rainsong if I travelled more extensively.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-22-2017, 02:23 PM

I had a Voyage Air OM-02 for a while. It is a nice all-laminate guitar (and sounds like one) so it is quite durable for travel. I don't travel much anymore, and ended up selling it to a buddy who does a lot of motorcycle touring, and wanted the folding backpack form factor.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Currently, my subcompact is a Go Grande Mahogany which can go anywhere comfortably. And for 3/4-size, I have a new Emerald X-7 Artisan and a Cargo Raw. Of all three, my favorite is the Emerald.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:41 PM

Back when I was a poor uni student I travelled exclusively with a Cort earth mini which I dearly loved. But now these are my two travelers:

When I know I'm going somewhere where a guitar may be an issue (small planes etc) I'll take the koa baby. If I know it won't be an issue (road trips, international flights etc) then it's the GS
Martin 000-15M
Taylor GS Mini
Old 06-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Since '08, my travel/go anywhere, any situation guitar is my CA Cargo RT. love the little thing. Tough as nails and sounds and feels great. If not for this guitar, I would either have an Emerald X7 or Journey OF660M (M for matte finish). If I was travelling by motorcycle for an extended period, I'd definitely try the Journey.

Tomorrow, my wife and I will be heading out on a full weekend camping trip (tenting it) with our two sons/daughters-in-law and granddaughter...and the Cargo! Can't wait!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:17 PM

Haven't been happier traveling since purchasing my first Voyage Air years ago. Now with an all-solid VA, I get the best of both worlds - compactness and quality.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
get the GS mini!
It's my number one choice
I'm being reluctant because I wanted to keep the guitar in my car, play on the beach etc.,and that solid top looks so delicate....

Ll.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

I find the Voyage Air to be ideal for travel. Mine (solid top, laminate B&S) sounds great, plays wonderfully, and is very easy to transport. I have guitars that I prefer playing but they're not guitars I want sitting in a hot car or suffering the uncertainties of air travel. And a mini-guitar of any sort just isn't going to work as well for me as a full-size OM with a nice 1 3/4" nut width and normal scale length. It looks, feels, sounds, and plays like a real guitar. The folding aspect is gravy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion