The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-03-2002, 08:39 AM

I played on the roof of the Abbey Road studios in London..... no wait, that was John Lennon. Ok, well I played in bed for three days once.... wait, that was John Lennon, too.

K14c Custom
http://home.earthlink.net/~jira/
Old 08-03-2002, 10:14 AM

I once played in an empty observatory. Everything was gone from the room, including the telescope. Just 4 walls and a metal roof that rolled back if needed to see the stars. Sure was a lot of sound bouncing off the walls.

Old 08-04-2002, 08:24 PM

The strangest place I ever played. I was 15 years old and a friend and I crawled into a huge water tank under construction it was about 75 yards wide and 100 feet high. we took our guitars in there and I would play a lick and you could hear it spin all the way around the inside of the tower and you could answer it. this was long before any electric special efects pedles it was the darndest thing I"ve ever heard. Bill Prentice
Old 08-05-2002, 02:43 PM
Tayloresque

Two fun experiences. One weekend in the summer of 1978, me and two friends were at a cottage -- me with my '58 Fender Strat, my friend with a '76 Les Paul. Around midnight on the Saturday, we were feeling 'real good' and decided to drive to Toronto in my '69 Cadillac Sedan de Ville. I'll never forget driving up and down Yonge Street (a pretty 'happening' area in downtown Toronto), the non-musician friend driving my Caddy, while my other friend and I pretended to be 'rock stars' playing our guitars in the back seat using a couple of battery-operated Pignose-type amps. That turned out to be one crazy night.

In the summer of '79 I spent some time in Vancouver, BC, Canada. There's a very popular nude beach (Wreck Beach) where I spent most of my time. It's located down a steep escarpment on the property of the University of British Columbia (UBC). I ended-up joining in on a jam with all-naked musicians (including me). Nothing stranger than seeing a bunch of guitar, sax, bongo, harmonica, etc. (skin flute, bonophone ) players all groovin' in the buff! Great fun!

Tom
Old 08-09-2002, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Played while laying on my roof with the kids while watching the Blue Angels practice for an air show the next day.

Played My Old Kentucky Home for the factory workers at a rattan furniture factory in Cebu, Philippines. Played basketball with them afterwards to redeem myself.

At Camp Ramah Darom in Clayton, Georgia, we played Blues in the kitchen with the food service staff contracted from Southern University. One old guy there was one of the greatest slide players I ever did hear, before or since.

But the best place to play was for the preschool at synagogue on Friday mornings. I get standing ovations for my version of Puff The Kosher Dragon.

Old 08-11-2002, 08:08 AM

in da butt, Bob....in da butt....no, wait, that was The Newlywed game.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:54 PM

Talking

How about in the middle of a Kmart store. It was customer appreciation day and we were asked to perform. Since I am the pharmacist at the store. I got picked on by alot of my customers.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:36 AM

Thumbs up Bathroom

I play in my bathroom all the time. I sit on the toilet with my foot propped up on a potty while Guitar Baby is taking a bath. Sometimes, I'll even prop up some sheet music on the counter next to the sink.

Practice time is a little difficult to come by at times...

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 08-13-2002, 11:08 AM

This is not so strange but is cool. My house is a 20's bungalow with siold oak beaded tung and groove interior doors. the only hall is small, about 50sq ft, where 6 rooms all meet. Close all of the doors and sit in the hall with oak floors and you are surrounded by wood. The guitar sounds great, but my voice......
Old 08-22-2002, 06:51 PM

Ladies room at a burger king. JW
Old 08-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm the Youth Director at a synagogue... Tonight we had a Youth Committee meeting at my house and I had my Big Baby laying out on the couch. Someone asked me to play a song, so I played Music, Sex & Cookies for them. Sure kept them wondering!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification