The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
TBH, the only upgrade to your existing tuners would be Waverlys.

But the ones on that EC are every bit as good IMO.
Pretty much what he said,

H
Old 03-25-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
If those are the Martin-branded Gotoh tuners, I changed mine out as well.

I tried the usual fixes, and none worked well. I ended up putting Waverlies on that guitar (Martin OM-28v).

That said, I also really like the Grover Sta-tites, and recommend those. They are a lot less money, and I like them every bit as well. Check them out too
That seems like a really nice option. Especially for the price. I saw a set on eBay for $60CDN. Seems like a steal!! Any thoughts on the quality?
I bought Grover Sta-tites for my Guild a couple of years ago and am very happy with them still. They look great and work fine!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-25-2016, 12:53 AM

So far, I used the Grover (1:18) on my Martin 000-28 and worked very well until I purchase my SCGC OM with Waverly. Noticeable difference in smoothness and how fast you can tune accurately. I will never go back to Grovers.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:44 AM

If I had Schallers stock, I'd take them off and put on some Waverly tuners, but that's because I like the look at feel. If I had Gotoh open-back tuners, I'd be totally fine with them. They were stock on my 000-18 MV Custom and are very smooth, accurate and don't slip.

Nick
Old 05-28-2018, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

What is a simple drop-in replacement for regalar slab head Waverly, preferably a good Gotoh or Schaller model?
Old 05-28-2018, 12:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Excuse my ignorance, but is Grover still in the game? I believe they were standard gear on Martins for many decades.

thanks,
scott
Old 05-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but is Grover still in the game? I believe they were standard gear on Martins for many decades.

thanks,
scott
Hi Scott, a quick google shows that there is still a Grover website with products no it. ...but I see that he "Grover" Strap-lock seems to be identical to the Schaller strap-lock, so Me wundas if there is a union of the two marques. (?)
Old 05-28-2018, 01:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Scott, a quick google shows that there is still a Grover website with products no it. ...but I see that he "Grover" Strap-lock seems to be identical to the Schaller strap-lock, so Me wundas if there is a union of the two marques. (?)
Silly, thanks. I saw the website but didn't open it. No products, hmmmm. Don't sound too promising.

thanks!
sm
Old 05-29-2018, 12:44 AM

I like waverleys and gotohs. Both do a nice ivoroid button option. But I really like the x-finish on the gotohs which gives a sort of aged appearance. Both work equally well.

Here are my two for comparison.20180529_073035.jpg20180528_151851.jpg

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 05-29-2018, 07:06 AM

Default My experience

I’ve had all the mentioned tuners on various guitars. Waverlies are generally good but I’ve had some sets that are overly stiff and hard to turn. The one set of Schaller Grand Tunes I’ve had have been great. Grover sta-tites are pretty good too. Go with the schallers.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

thanks,
scott
Thread resurrections are fun. I bought some Grover Sta-tite 18’s about two years ago for replacements on an Eastman OM, and they are fantastic. I understand wanting to go more “high end” for aesthetic purposes, but from a pure functionality standpoint these are wonderful - accurate, smooth, and hold tune phenomenally well.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Argh ! wrote a long response (on my laptop) then spent as long again correcting all the typing errors (laptop k/bs are Crap! then the site went down!

All my tuners are open back type.

Waverleys: - On most of my flat tops. Generally good but have a tendency for the tensioning collet to come loose and sometimes disassemble.
StewMac refuse to sell the tool for managing this so I've had to remove the unit and tension with pliers leaving damage to collett (Warning Don't try this whilst still on the guitar!
BUT - Stewmac are very good at replacing dodgy units.

Gotohs: Got them on my Santa Cruz. seemingly lower gear - takes ages to adjust tuning in comparison to Waverleys AND noticed earlier this week that the gold plating is wearing off the buttons...only had the guitar for 18 months !

Grovers: when I used tom play Martins they all had Grover Rotomatics - bulky but never had an issue with them.

Never occurred to me to change one make for another.

Schallers are good too.

Don't get me started on 12 string slot-head tuners !! I've had three different types on my D12-20!
Silly Moustache- I would like to get you started on slotted head tuners. My Taylor has the Pings- they are not great. I had some Schaller butterbeans on My J-40 Martin that I yanked in favor of Gotoh 21:1. But the Schallers weren't bad, and isn't an open slot head either).
I am about to choose the Schallers over the Waverly's- is it even going to matter, or will every G string slothead tuner pale in comparison to a closed machine?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion