The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-30-2002, 04:39 PM

I knew the Thiles when they lived in Idyllwild, Ca. and Chris was a wee little tyke. His dad, Scott worked on and tuned pianos (mainly Steinway's) and played stand up bass and was learning bluegrass style guitar and would sometimes record at Joey Lattimer's little studio in Pine Cove. On the wall there was cheap sunburst A style Japanese mandolin that was rarely used. The kid (I guess he was about 5) was facinated by it, and would stare it till Joey would let him hold it. Finally he said, "here, it's your's, you just have to promise that you'll practice".........the rest is history.

a footnote;
About six weeks later he had mastered leads and accompanyment for the bluegrass basics like Cripple Creek, Rocky Top, Devil's Dream and Turkey In The Straw. I was fronting an afternoon concert of local talent at the town hall (6-13-87 to be exact) and invited Scott and Chris to play, and I sat in on banjo and Joey I think played guitar. I believe this was his first performance. He stole the show, of course. Looks like I still have the recording and photos.

About a week later I played the local 1000 trails rv resort and they sat in again. About half way through his set he took a step back after a solo and noticed on a large rock by the stage three girls his age in absolute awe of him. When I saw the look in his eyes I knew exactly what he would be doing for the rest of his life.

Fun times, except the divorce I was going through.
Old 06-30-2002, 06:01 PM
.tom the übergeek

What a great story JohnZ. I remember that same moment from stage too....but it was not bluegrass....hehe. I play bluegrass now but in those days it was Sex Pistols!!!! I always said that bluegrass was an acoustic version of punk rock. Play fast, play loud, play hard....no more than 3 chords.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:59 PM

I first saw them on the CMA awards and was promptly blown away! So much talent......plus, I think Sara is a doll!

I'll definitely be picking up their new CD on my next music shopping excursion.

Check out their website (see link)

Nickel Creek
Old 08-05-2002, 09:32 PM

Wow Great story,

I had no idea they grew up so close to me.

So how do you guys like the Warren Brothers ?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:35 PM

Too much talent and way too young to be that good.

K14c Custom
http://home.earthlink.net/~jira/
Old 08-15-2002, 07:31 AM

Has anyone else picked up their new album yet? I got it the other night, and I'm enjoying it. There's only one instrumental piece on there, which was somewhat disappointing, but all in all it's a good album. I'd recommend picking it up if you liked their first one.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:51 PM

I saw them at the album release event at Amoeba Records in Hollywood. Very cool.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:32 PM

Talking

I LOVE THIS BAND !!!!!
Hope to see them @ the Filmore in SF on 9-14

714ce LTD/SPEC
810 -SOLD-
1991 Takamine EN-10 (AN)
Mid-Mo M2 mandolin
1989 Valley Arts Strat
1988 Fender American Tele
Old 08-19-2002, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Hey if you guys like Nickel Creek. You should hear a group out of Charleston South Carolina. "COMMON GROUND" When I was back there I heard them at a local hot spot and they were awesome.

You can get one of their CD's at www.commongroundbluegrass.com

It is very good. The lead singer, Laura, does "Mary Did You Know" very well, which I think is track 11 or 12.

But I cant stop listening to it. It just grows on you.. THey even have "Lighthouse" on their CD. A song from Nickel Creek.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND
I LIKE IT.
TAKE CARE
Jeff M.
1989 PRS CE24
Nash T63 Tele
Nash T52 Tele
Nash JB63
1977 Musicman Stingray
Old 08-21-2002, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Orphan
Does anyone know if the guitar in "Out of the Woods" is standard tuning? I'm having trouble picking it up. Thanks.
Just now picking up on this thread. "Out of the Woods" is in DADGAD -- once you have the tuning, the rest is pretty easy (only three or so chords, none of them complicated).

We were able to catch Nickel Creek at their album release signing at Borders Books in San Diego. Got there 2-1/2 hours early, thinking we would buy the album and go get dinner and come back, then found there were only 30 unreserved audience seats, so we camped out and waited -- and that was the most worthwhile wait of my life!

They played an hour and a half set for free, and signed album jackets for probably 3-400 people afterwards. We sat no more than 10' from the band, and you just never get to see talent like that up close. They were talking with the crowd before and after the show, and I found them all very humble and unassuming. Not to mention that their performance was truly amazing. My son decided to pick up the mandolin we had lying around in the back, and Chris Thile's instructional DVD just showed up in the mail yesterday. Let's just say they are very inspiring...

-Kent
Old 08-30-2002, 11:28 AM

Bougieau? I thought it looked like a Collings.
Taylor Baby Koa
Fender American Standard Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification