The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I'm think I'm ready to take all the pickups out of my guitars, buy a Takamine and forget it.....does anyone else feel this way.....
no

seriously though, the audience doesn't much care and they likely don't hear the difference between a $5K guitar with a complicated set-up and a $500 one with a lousy UTS. I can though and choose to play with a sound that makes me happy... and that happens to be a fairly complicated set-up. For open mikes, I don't carry my entire rack but I still carry my pre-amp and take advantage of my dual sources. At the same time, a great sound won't make up for a lack of good performing skills while good performing skills will cover a pretty bad sound... On the other hand, good performing skills along with a great sound is AWESOME!
that's me on guitar
Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Yeah, I usually play my Guild with a Fishman Matrix Infinity through my AG Stomp into my PADI, and run XLR out to the mixer and a line out to my amp. But then, when I am playing a set with acoustic and electric, I end up with too much at my feet. I like the idea of simple too. I remember years and years I played my Tak in venues all over the US just plugging into whatever was available. Made a living, had fun, and as far as I know, sounded decent.

Last Sunday I just plugged in to my SWR, which has a XLR DI out. And I threw a Boss CE-5 in the effects loop for the fun of it.
Sounded great - not quite as warm as the AG Stomp,mind you. But, did anyone notice I didn't have my AG Stomp and PADI in the chain? I doubt it. I did however notice an easier set up/breakdown.
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 PM

My sympathies as well...

As I've mentioned in other threads the B-band A2.2 I use is really great IMO. No feedback problems ever and very easy to tweak. I plug in directly to any board (single 1/4" cable) and make minor adjustments to the tone on the board. I have a friend who runs an open mic I play at frequently and he always tells me that my guitar is the best sounding one of the bunch (plugged in) by far. If I gigged a lot I think I would invest in a system like the Bose L or Fishman solo amp. I think the simpler the better and it sounds like either one of those systems is more than adequate for acoustic guitar and vocals. The fewer headaches/ baggage the better....
Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 AM

Your best instruments for pickups are those designed for a pickup. Think about that. Sometimes that means laminated back/sides, thinner body, etc.. I've never been happy trying to coax pickup tone from an instrument that sounds gorgeous without one.

I have a Yairi DY62c, cheap instrument when compared to a high dollar all solid wood Taylor or Martin, but the pickup sound that comes out of this thing cannot be touched by any other instrument. The pickup was matched to the instrument so it seems.

Remember that pickups were forced on guitars like a bad job. Guitars don't wanna be picked up. They are meant to be played through a mic or heard without amplification.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 AM

Songwriter...I feel your pain. I used to carry a lot trying to get a great sound also. I do still use a Boss TU tuner which mutes while tuning. You pretty much have to have that. As for a direct box I use the Aphex Acoustic Exciter for about 3 years now and I have never needed anything else. So there's just 2 boxes. Just for the record...a lot of big names use Taks for live performance because yes...they do sound that good plugged in. The Eagles come to mind. They certainly can afford any guitar they want but they use Taks live. I'm using a CA 7i currently and it sounds great just plugged straight in but I sure do love the Aphex. I might add that it runs off of phantom power from the board so no batteries or wall warts.

Good luck
Old 04-09-2009, 06:52 AM

Best acoustic tone I've ever heard was a Taylor Big Baby with a cheap Fishman UST direct to a Strawberry Blond amp. That amp makes every UST pick up guitar sound great.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:09 AM

Yes I am with you. I have a older Taylor with and added UST plugged into a volume pedal (so I can adjust while playing) off to a TU2 and into a Baggs DI into the board. It would be nice to have everything built-in.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Talking

Man, thanks for all of the feedback. It's good to know that there are alot of people who feel my pain....
Also, I didn't even get into worrying about an expensive guitar sitting there
amongst all of the mics, stands, people spilling drinks, different people
sitting in on a few songs...it's normally a dangerous place for a high end guitar...

You guys are great...I love this forum.....I feel better now!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 AM

$ongwriter,

If you need a guitar that's fairly indestructable, in addition to having the onboard tuner and good sounding electronics, that pretty much narrows it down to a carbon fiber guitar (Ovation, Composite Acoustic, Rainsong) with onboard Aura electronics. You'd still have to be somewhat concerned about stumblers with tumblers, however, as the onboard preamp probably wouldn't survive having a drink poured into it.

Gary
Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Keep in mind, I don't play gigs but I agree with guitarniac.

I have a Ovation Elite 1868T (~$600 new), super shallow, Sitka Spruce top - flat black texture finish, maple neck, ebony fretboard. Short of on all carbonfiber guitar, its about as stable and reliable as you can get. Unamplified, she is a bit thin. Plugged in... its a whole nother world. Especially if you get one with an OP-Pro Studio preamp. Its plug and play. And should some drunken fan pour alcohol into your preamp (not an easy task), you can just pop it out, clean it out, and drop in a new one (or dry out your old one).
Fender: '69 Mustang Competition; '91 Stratocaster Plus; '11 Telecaster Standard
Gibson: '11 Les Paul Studio Deluxe 60s
Epiphone: '11 ES 339 Pro
PRS: '07 CE22; '03 Santana SE; '12 Tremonti SE
Bradley: '77 Les Paul Custom
Squier: '99 Precision Bass
Old 04-09-2009, 02:30 PM

As a cheaper guitar idea that's safer for gigging, I almost forgot to mention that I bought an affordable Alvarez acoustic equipped with the 600T preamp awhile back. Any of the Alvarez guitars with this preamp can be upgraded to having a secondary pickup source (ACM-50 internal mic) for around $50.
http://www.webemusic.com/product_inf...oducts_id=8268 I think it sounds very good plugged in and the preamp gives you lots of controls to dial in tone and blend between the UST and internal mic. Just one more thought to "simplify" things....
Old 04-09-2009, 04:50 PM

I tell you, Taks are some of the best acoustic electrics I've heard. Just have a listen the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" live DVD or Heart Live from 2008. Amazing the natural sound they get on those 2 DVD's with Taks. Granted, they are probably run through some high-end Pendulums or something, but I have had a few Taks at the open-mic I host and they give my Rainsong/Element/Aura combination a run for it's money.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 04-09-2009, 04:56 PM

Taks have a very wide array of preamps that they use in their guitars. The one that seems to be the best sounding IMO in the more affordable models is the Cool tube (CTP). A guy I know who goes to my Tuesday Nite open mic has a Tak equipped with it. Not bad sounding at all......
Old 04-09-2009, 05:13 PM

Default the takamines

when the eagles and springsteen and those guys are playing taks they are not playing the same electronics we are. they are definitely not playing them straight to the mixing board either. i have bought about 10 guitars from ben harpers mother. the cole clarks that he and jack johnson use are run out of the guitar into a radial direct box and into the pa in front of 20k people. as easy as it gets and unbelievable sound. in a blind test between it and a takamine direct the cole clark wins to everyones ears. its not close. the cole clark fl1ac that jack johnson often uses has the same electronics as the more exensive ones he sometimes uses. i saw a used one on ebay for 800. you cannot find a better sound. i sold one of mine to a guy with pendulum preamps and some very high end guitars. he liked gigging with the cole clark better. i also just traded one to a forum member for a taylor 814 cocobolo with the fishman system. the sound is far far better plugged in from the cole clark. he has a review on the forum. check it out. also check out lloyd spiegel on you tube playing the various cole clark models. good luck in the quest for ultimate sound. its just a fun hobby.. frustrating too.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Wink

Hi and 'Yes' I share your frustration! I was doing this with my electric rig and constantly changing pedals and messing with chords and had little enjoyment in playing at all. The solution? I 'went acoustic'. Did it help? Some!

At first, when I 'went acoustic' I did the same thing in rotating pedals and guitars and chords and all the 'mess' trying to get a decent sound and when we recently played at Church two of the men I play with walk in with guitars in hand. One a Martin D-35 and one a Yamaha that I don't even know the model number but it does have a 'dove' on the pickguard. I think he paid $300 for it.

They open their cases and run off to a corner to tune up and then they just sit and enjoy playing for hours. When done, they just put the guitar in the case and leave me with all my 'Stuff'!

I do have it narrowed down to:

Godin Multiac Nylon SA, or Takamine TAN15C >
Boss ME-70>
Roland AC-90!

That's alot less complicated than before.

vtg

Last edited by VintageToneGuy; 04-10-2009 at 02:31 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification