The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-27-2002, 09:12 PM

Default Alvarez SLM80 (master series)

This is an all solidwood guitar, indian rosewood back and sides with a Canadian AAA grade spruce top. It also has maple binding with abalone edging and a tree of life. I know fisrst hand that Alvarez's inlay isnt the greatest guality, but its decent for 600 bucks. I was wondering if anyone has played one of these or any of the Alvarez (not yairi) masterwork series.

How do they sound?

I played a PD100 one time and it sounded decent. But had OLD polywebs on.
Dean Tradition QS12 GN Maple
Alvarez RD30sSB
Gilb Flamenco Nylon

"One lucky man, With my feet in the sand, Tonight I just need... My Guitar."
Old 08-27-2002, 10:04 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

I have a PD100 and it sounds great. I played an SLM80 at the NAMM show and thought it sounded great. If it's in good shape It's a deal.

Ron
Old 08-28-2002, 08:42 AM

which one sounds better? the PD100 has an engelmann top and the SLM80 has a Canadian spruce top (which i would think sounds more like sitka because of location)
Dean Tradition QS12 GN Maple
Alvarez RD30sSB
Gilb Flamenco Nylon

"One lucky man, With my feet in the sand, Tonight I just need... My Guitar."
Old 08-28-2002, 10:57 AM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Well I would say the PD100 does not have much bottom end. Less than a Taylor...closer to the Takamine. But it is very clear and responds well to strumming and fingerstyle. I have mediums on it and don't use a flatpick only fingers. The SLM80 will have more of a bottom end and I agree that the Canadian Spruce is more like Sitka than Englemann. For the price YOU quoted it's a deal. I would not sell my PD100. I paid the same price for it that YOU quoted. It was in good condition. I drop filled all the little scratches and such, buffed it out on the wheel and now it's perf. Also I put a Dalmation pattern (like the Santa Cruz Tony Rice model) pickguard on it !! Nice, clean and purdy. Def worth the $$

Ron

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification