The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2002, 10:41 AM

Question Opinions on Taylor Acoustic Basses?

I have been having one heck of a lot of fun playing bass on some songs. Favoring the "unplugged" sound, I am looking at purchasing an acoustic bass. However, I don't know a darn thing about acoustic basses, other than Taylor and Martin both make one.

This fire engine red AB-3 currently listed on E-Bay looks really cool. It may actually satisfy my itch for a 6XX series.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Thanks for your insights!
Old 08-21-2002, 12:38 PM

She shore looks purdy...
Old 08-21-2002, 02:52 PM

It may be acoustic but it has Rock-N-Roll written all over it. I like it. Good Luck

Cheers

Chris
Old 08-21-2002, 03:17 PM

I wondered about the acoustic bass myself....for bluegrass. are they pretty loud?
Old 08-21-2002, 06:57 PM

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to play one.
As soon as I find one within my reach I most certainly will.

I have heard one at a Taylor clinic last year featuring Mike Keneally (playing a 814ce?) and Bryan Beller (Taylor bass)

To say these guys are great musicians doesn’t quite cover it. Mike and Bryan’s performance and tone was simply phenomenal. Even if their music is not your cup of tea it is always great watching two virtuoso musicians perform.

And to top it off, a couple of really nice guys.

My daughter Ruthie (who was 12 at the time) won a set of elixir strings during the clinic. They both autographed her prize. She told them that she was taking keyboard lessons and learning to play guitar with Dad. They both told her that was great and keep practicing and she would get really good.
That word of encouragement (from musicians of their caliber) really gave her a boost to want to practice and she has really started to get good with both instruments.

Anyway those basses sound better than ANY other acoustic bass I have heard.

If you get a chance to see these guys do it, you won’t regret it!
Old 08-21-2002, 10:30 PM

Here's my AB-2

The good--great tone, great design. I'm primarily an electric bassist, and this is the first acoustic bass guitar (ABG) that I feel really "gets" it. I had the Tacoma ABG and I liked it, but this AB-2 is much more fun to play.

The not-so-good--it's not as loud as the Tacoma was unplugged. And I'm not too happy with the stock pickup. I haven't used it live yet, though, so I'm waiting to see how it'll work at that time.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tenthumbs
It may be acoustic but it has Rock-N-Roll written all over it. I like it. Good Luck

Cheers

Chris
Thanks Chris - you've given me pause. Maybe another finish is better for me!!
Old 08-22-2002, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerome
The not-so-good--it's not as loud as the Tacoma was unplugged. And I'm not too happy with the stock pickup. I haven't used it live yet, though, so I'm waiting to see how it'll work at that time.
Jerome, thanks very much for your observations. Was not aware of the Tacoma. I checked out their website. Seems they have a couple new basses out this year - no specs listed.

Your comment about volume concerns me a little. Have you had a chance to play with one or two acoustic guitars? Percussion? Does it get lost?

By the way, nice looking axe!
Old 08-22-2002, 04:32 PM

I always state my theories with nothing to back them up, but shouldn't a maple/spruce combo be significantly louder than a 100% imbuia?

I would think the spruce in particular would throw off more sound?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification