The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaD View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I decided go with a OM-28. No electronics.

When I made my original post, I was leaning heavily in favor of the OM-28E.

You guys mostly came down in favor of the OM-28, which made me take a step back.

Then I talked to a good friend of mine (and a much more talented guitarist) who owns an OM-21 that had been modified to include electronics. I asked him how he felt about the electronics, sort of expecting a positive response since he plays live shows all the time, but he said something like "Every time I look at it, it looks like an implant, I don't like it at all. The electronics are 10 years old, they don't sound great over PA's anyway. The next guitar I get I'm definitely not getting anything like this, I'll just install a non-intrusive pickup in the rosette or whatever else."

So when I went the store (Sam Ash in NYC, ask for Mike in Acoustic Guitars, he was really great to deal with; they were awesome and had a great selection), I was much more open the OM-28 than I was when I made the original post.

I tried out the 000-28, the OM-28, OM-28E, the D-28, the HD-28V, and the Clapton 000-28.

I had three questions going in, which were surprisingly easy to resolve. I expected to hang out there for a few hours, and I was in and out in about an hour.

1. Which model? I knew I probably was going to prefer the OM, but I wanted to keep my mind open. The 000 definitely was too muted for my tastes.
2. V Neck? No. I definitely preferred the modified low oval. The v-neck felt too big for my preferences.
3. Electronics or not? When I saw the size of the circuit boards on the inside of the guitar, felt the interface myself, saw the battery pack in the back of the guitar, etc. I knew I didn't want the electronics. It just wasn't even a hard decision.

The only thing I regret is not spending a little more time with the HD-28. I tried the D-28 and knew I didn't like the sound, and so I had sort of dismissed the dreadnought body type. I then tried the HD-28V to check out the V neck and dismissed it because I liked the MLO.

But I forgot to give a fair shot to the HD-28, though, and I wish I had. I'm betting that I would have chosen the OM-28 either way, but when I came home I was playing the OM and there were a few times where the less pronounced low-end surprised me a little. It made me realize that I didn't do a side-by-side with the HD-28, which I wish I had.

I have a 30 day return policy and a 45 day exchange policy, so I'll probably find an HD-28 to try out, just to put that fear to rest.

I have been playing the OM-28 all day, and it's an amazing guitar. I love it so much. I'm not a great guitarist, but there were a lot of problems I was having on my old beater guitar that I thought were technique, and I'm finding were just limitations of the instrument I was using. There's still a lot I struggle with, but a handful of problems have evaporated, and that's really nice.

Thanks everyone for talking me out of the electronics. Given the almost-never use I would have gotten out of them, I'm convinced they would have been the wrong choice for me.

I haven't bothered putting the end-piece in yet; I never use a strap, and I don't want to get stuck in case I want to install K&K-style pickups. Do you think there's any harm in keeping it off?

Finally, the guitar has a really nice smell to it. Is that from the wood, or from the glue?
Magic Martin Dust....

Great guitar...enjoy and don't worry about the HD28. Totally different beast and you seem to have really wanted a top notch OM, which is what you bought.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 06-05-2018, 02:51 PM

Give the Retro a very long look before you decide to go with something else. They are really, really great.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:39 PM

Holy thread revival, Batman! Looks like JoshuaD bolted once he got his questions answered.

In more related news, the OM-28 is a fine instrument!
Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 PM

Almost guitar use bone Saddle on guitar no-electric and tusq saddle on electric acoustic
Old 06-05-2018, 08:34 PM

I have a pre-2018 OM-28, and I have to say I think you made the right choice. At first I was a little unsure about my OM-28 - the action was a little too high for my tastes, and it sounded a little dull.

After lowering the saddle and replacing the strings with Elixir Nanoweb Lights, I fell in love with it. It's my go-to "couch guitar" with just the right combination of size, playability, volume, and the Nanoweb strings made it sound a lot better.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Holy necro post.

Martin D-45
Martin D-41
Martin D-28 Marquis Custom
Martin D-28
Martin OM-28
Martin D12-28
Martin D-18 Ambertone
Martin 00-15E Retro
Gibson J-45 Standard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion