The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
I probably would, too, but some people just like to talk it out. I personally value the opinions of people on here very much who are much more experienced than I am, although at the end of the day I do realize that their tastes may not be my own..

that being said, I've also ordered a *few* guitars sight-unseen, never quite that pricey, but nearly so, and while I was nervous every time, I've never once been disappointed. Part of the thrill I guess.

Didn't realize this was an old thread until just now, but I was surprised by just how many people chimed in saying that particular Martin was literally the best guitar they'd ever heard. I've always recognized them as great instruments, but in that price range, there is a ton of really stiff competition.. probably the #1 thing that surprised me. Still waiting for a Collings OM to come through locally to play.

cheers
I agree...If there were places near me to go and try out a d28 1941 A I'd go...but there isn't. Luckily some dealers offer trial periods. I may go that route so I have that choice. and i'm not paying 6-7 K. They can be had brand new for $5500....still pricey but really nice guitars.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
No way for me to know without playing them. Both are nice guitars.

......Mike
.........whew, this is tiring.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-25-2018, 07:58 AM

Just to respond briefly to the comments about T-bar Martin necks being an obsolete design.

I own a '34 0-17 and a '55 000-18, both of which utilize the T-bar design, and they have absolutely perfect relief after 84 and 63 years respectively.

It is an especially impressive feat for the '34 Martin, which was the first year the T-bar neck was made. They got it right.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 05-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
Just to respond briefly to the comments about T-bar Martin necks being an obsolete design.

I own a '34 0-17 and a '55 000-18, both of which utilize the T-bar design, and they have absolutely perfect relief after 84 and 63 years respectively.

It is an especially impressive feat for the '34 Martin, which was the first year the T-bar neck was made. They got it right.
Agreed. Martin's T-bar is VERY stable. In today's guitar world too many people want (seem compelled?) to incessantly tinker with the relief in order fix other things. Part of that is the obsession with electric-low-action and lack of understanding how the adjustable truss rod should actually be used. Like your examples, my T-bar Martins are extremely stable from season to season. I've never measured more than 0.002" difference in relief and sometimes I can measure no difference at all.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:05 AM

Ok, just my humble opinion, but I would never pay more for a Martin than a Collings. If I'm talking that much dough, I'm going Collings. Personally, the standard line is so good, that if you want a D-28, just go standard, or heck even custom shop would be cheaper.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:39 AM

This Bryan Kimsey YouTube clip does an excellent job of highlighting the tonal characteristics and differences between a Collings and a Martin Authentic (in this instance, a D2H and a D-28 '37A).

Old 05-25-2018, 11:09 AM

The D28 41A is truly a spectacular guitar. I love the specs and the traditional constructions techniques. I had a D2841A for a while and the only reason I let it go is I liked my custom shop D28 Adi/Mada a tad bit better. They were both similar tonally, similar woods, hide glue, but I think I prefer the response that the forward shifted bracing on my CS D28 provides. With the Adi/Mada it seemed to give my CS D28 added dynamics that really allowed that Adi Spruce top to ring out.

I also like to take a couple of my acoustics to the shore with me in the summer and while I've heard mostly positive reviews of the tbar truss rod, Ive never owned an acoustic that didn't need a little adjustment when those humid ocean breezes roll on through

Bottom line, The D28 41A is one of the finest acoustics I had the pleasure of experiencing. Made in the great early Martin tradition. If it wasn't for my CS D28, it would have been a lifetime keeper for me because I really love the idea of traditional 1941 construction specs even if the rosewood is Mada and not Brazilian

If I was to compare the 41A to a boutique maker like Collings I'd probably look at one of their dreadnoughts with Adi/Mada not Adi/mahogany
Old 05-25-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin!!

The Martin hands down. I like the Collings CW model..but I've never found a mahogany/Collings dred that I really wanted to take home. But that's just me. The Traditional models are great...but a buddy of mine has the 41' Authentic and it's a beast!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion