The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-06-2020, 06:37 PM

Default Recording with your Emerald at home on a budget

Curious with what/how you Emerald owners are recording home playing. What is your setup? Are you using the internal pickup or externally mic-ing? Both?
What are you recording into?

Due to my work I am setup with a decent PC system as well as a MacBook Pro and iPad Pro.

Curious if a mic straight into one of these systems would yield some nice results? Is recording into Garage Band still a thing? I looked into Blue Microphones years ago, never purchased, and know next to nothing.

Have only recorded my Emerald x20 acoustically with my iPhone 11 and was quite impressed with the quality. Have the LR Bags Element installed in it and honestly haven't really used it yet as the guitar keeps up quite well with the other acoustics.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:43 AM

Default I have his setup.

Does the job for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-MV88-Di.../dp/B07M8JLFLK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 083FFD71-B8B7-48E1-B543-349392C0D09A.jpg (17.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 10-27-2020, 04:44 PM

The pickups in both of my Emerald's are terrible, so I would definitely use a mic. I basically have 2 options that I use at my house right now:

A pair of Schoeps MK4's into a UAD Apollo x4 or x8p
-or-
A single Audio-Technica ATR-2500x USB mic.

I bet you can guess which is the budget option, and it works great. Personally, I would rather record onto a computer than a phone, since that's where I'm going to edit, and monitoring is easier. If you want to record onto a phone, the MV88 is a great choice. The Rode Videomic might also be worth a look, my ladyfriend uses one of those with her iPhone and it works really well for her.

Garageband is very usable software, and the price is right!
Old 10-27-2020, 08:18 PM

Check out the recording subforum. Lots of info on mics, interfaces etc. that AGF members like to record with. Recording a CF guitar is no different than recording a wooden one.

Pickups are almost never better-sounding than a microphone; only in extremely noisy conditions would I ever do that, if I *had* to record right then. Use a microphone and you'll get better results. Finding a good space to record in, that doesn't have a lot of reflections or odd echoes, is also extremely helpful no matter what mic or recording device you are using.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:20 PM

Me, too! It's wonderful. I mean, I have a little studio down in my basement with a bunch of decent mics and other gear but I use my MV88+ Video Kit almost every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 10-28-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I have been very happy with the condenser mic on the Spire Studio for recording. I have used a separate LD condenser mic and/or a dynamic mic with similar results, but since I am most often recording with the Spire, it is more convenient.

I have used my X10 plugged in on quite a few recordings, when I am looking for a more electric sound.

Nice to have the variety.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

For going directly into an iPhone or iPad, that Shure MV88+ that GuitarDoc posted is an easy solution that still sound good. I have used a lightning extension cable to be able to put the mic closer than I care to be with the phone.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:29 PM

Default I like that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
For going directly into an iPhone or iPad, that Shure MV88+ that GuitarDoc posted is an easy solution that still sound good. I have used a lightning extension cable to be able to put the mic closer than I care to be with the phone.
Good tip. How long a cable you using?
Old 10-28-2020, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
Good tip. How long a cable you using?
6'

But, I have to type more to get it to take that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
emerald, home recording