The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-29-2019, 08:09 PM

I apologize for my absence. My wife's mom had a stroke and as you can imagine, life got altered a bit for a some time.

I had plans to join the Tyler at the Artisan show to review all three builds and see how things turned out. With mom's stroke, that didn't happen. So I've had to rely on those who got to play all three guitars for comment on their differences. So I sincerely appreciate all those who have shared their firsthand experiences.

So after the show, Tyler shipped me the Brazilian build and after some quality time getting to know her, I was able to formulate some thoughts. I suppose there are two things that were playing out simultaneously. One was the comparison in the three wood sets and the other was simply Tyler's first build with Brazilian. He's certainly built with Brazilian at the Galloup school, but this was the first Robbins Brazilian guitar. So I had the great pleasure of working with him on that.

I'll be adding some thoughts and frankly asking some questions too of the group.

First, I would just like to compliment Tyler on making this custom build such a wonderful experience. What a gentleman! I will treasure that experience together. Any considering his work, feel confident that he will treat you and your hopes with the utmost professionalism and delicacy. Great guy.

Now about the guitar.

Similar in size to an OM, but with the more tapered upper bout, kind of felt like a mini-jumbo in my lap. The workmanship was exquisite, the detail very refined. For example, the wood inlays in the fretboard were wrapped in silver and the lines and angles and bends were practically perfect. Sublime. The braz wood set is as beautiful a set as I've ever seen. The set-up was nice and easy and the action comfortable. So easy to jump right in and play. On to the tone...

But first, the case. Calton made, heavy as hell, built like a tank, and instills uber confidence of protection. Calton folks, isn't there any way to lighten these up a bit? and the buckles about tore my fingernails off. A bummer for a guitar player. haha. I've noticed with some cases like visesnut and others attempting to lighten cases and make them easier to enter. But anyways, I think a truck could run over this case and not damage the guitar.

Back to the guitar. What struck me first was Tyler's ability to coax every drop of overtone out of this wood set. I told Tyler that the overtones were so rich, that I actually found myself slowing down my playing to enjoy them. In fact I found myself avoiding certain songs that were faster paced and writing new ones which let the space between notes breath more. (see Michael Watts). The back and side set so easily transferred sound that any slip up of my fingers was so evident. I found myself slowing down, taking my time, letting the guitar respire and the notes hang. It was a real treat.

Tuning was interesting. When in perfect tune, the guitar volume would suddenly increase, like a car with all cylinders firing in perfect harmony. When slightly out of tune, the glassy brazilian would fight itself and dampen the natural reverb. Quite fascinating to experience to that level.

I like a guitar that says, "don't dance with me like that. I'm not that kind of girl." and she takes the lead. Then seduces me with her own steps and moves. This is that kind of guitar. Show me a new song, a new sound. I hate a guitar who tries to be like the other guitars. Meaning I was pressed to move past my normal tunes. This Robbins wants to be herself. And I found new material coming out.

I found myself wanting to play in minor chords more than major chords. I've never had a guitar do that.

His version of an arm bevel went beyond mere function. It was art. The transition into the binding was seamless. Just incredible.

The bass response was clear and strong. It could easily be tuned down with no loss of power or clarity. Or capo-ing up 3 or 4 with no loss of gusto.

Individual notes had a narrower focus than some guitars I own. Perhaps it was the Italian top? Maybe the JP strings? Not sure. The guitar wasn't overly bright, but wasn't overly warm either. Somewhere in the middle. I also felt the wood fighting to relax a little. It's obviously still quite new and she's warming up with each jam session. It'll be interesting to see how it settles in over the months.

Anyways, this is a little long winded, but I feel bad having been away from the thread I started so I thought I'd share a bit more.

So to the others who played them, do you have anything more to add or perhaps did you hear this brazilian differently than I do?

Feel free to ask questions if you wish.

I loved working with Tyler. I am very impressed with his work, his creativity and his tone. This will be a treasured memory and build.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:33 PM

That is a stunning looking guitar and sounds like the tone matches its looks.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:46 PM

Next set of photos is finally ready. One more set to go!

-Tyler
Old 05-06-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Smile Condolences and congratulations

Sorry to hear about your mom in law. Hope the family is coping OK.

This guitar is so Pretty it hurts....

How cool to have an axe coax you to slow down and play in minor keys, too! I tend to play a lot of my covers a bit slower than the original artists. Especially when playing slide.

May you enjoy this for Many Many years in fine health and spirits

Be well and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-08-2019, 10:44 PM

Last but not least!

This guitar was sent to Paul over at Dream Guitars and within 12 hours we have a pending sale! Super excited that someone liked this one as much as me! Here is the link to the posting which has a quick demo of the instrument.

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/20...ruce-1904.html

Thanks for following along guys!

-Tyler
Old 05-09-2019, 12:35 AM

Old 05-14-2019, 12:40 AM

The braz on that Robbins guitar is very nice!
Old 05-18-2019, 10:10 PM

Smile Second day with the Madagascar !!

Hi Everyone!
I am the lucky new owner of the Madagascar Rosewood guitar. It is my second guitar from Tyler ( I am also lucky enough to own the Fiddleback Mahagony/Englemann he previously listed with Paul H. at Dream Guitars) and needless to say he has a HUGE fan here in Michigan. I'm now closing out my second full day with it and I am just FLOORED!! It feels and sounds as great as it looks. I haven't been able to put it down since unpacking it. I have 2 Indian Rosewood guitars (Taylor 814ce Sitka/Indian Rosewood and Froggy Bottom SJ Adi/Indian Rosewood) and to my ear the Madagascar has a more blooming, rich tone with great clarity. I love the balance from string to string...nothing overwhelms anything else..but nothing hangs back or hides. My best description is the notes just flow and blend perfectly together. Rich. Bright. Smooth. Balanced.
And obviously as you all can see from the pictures, it is beyond beautiful! Every time I pick it up I just stare and roll it in my hands for minutes. I can't believe I own it ( I have literally gone over to it and opened the case to stare at it numerous times...making sure I am not dreaming!).
Thanks Again Tyler ... PLEASE keep doing what you are doing...you are an amazing talent!!
Take Care All, and Happy Picking. " Music Is Joy! "
Jim G.
jagree757
Old 05-20-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum, Jim!

Congrats on your beautiful new acquisition--Tyler is certainly doing some amazing work!

Enjoy and play it in good health!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitars Tyler.
The color really pops on the Brazilian set.

Tim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop