The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-13-2020, 09:27 PM

Default compensated or plain saddle

I am installing a new bridge to replace the old broken one on my mid to late 60s Regal Sovereign jumbo western.

I went to the local guitar shop (Guitar Center) and another instrument store (Melhearts Music Center) here in town figuring that going to the source would be easier and faster then trying online. I was wrong. Neither place had tuning machines or saddles that would work on this ol' girl. So, it's back to shopping online.

I think I'm going with a Tusq saddle. Which brings me to a question.

Since I'm going to be locating the bridge / saddle with intonation for bridge location, would a plain saddle be better than a compensated one?

Sweetwater has both in the 3/32 slot thickness. Bare in mind that I think the original bridge location might be about 1/8 of an inch flat (further away from the nut) than the scale measurement gives, measuring from nut to 12th fret and from 12th fret to saddle.

The compensated one comes the closest to the fitting the slot length wise and the plain one would leave a 1/32 gap on both ends while sitting in the middle of the slot. Is that all that important?

Which would be better?

Ron
Old 10-14-2020, 12:17 AM

The gaps at the ends will not matter unless it bothers you visually (or the next owner).
A compensated saddle is the better unit because regardless of how correctly located the saddle is, the B and G strings will still behave differently and their intonation will benefit from the compensation.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
The gaps at the ends will not matter unless it bothers you visually (or the next owner).
A compensated saddle is the better unit because regardless of how correctly located the saddle is, the B and G strings will still behave differently and their intonation will benefit from the compensation.
Thank your for your reply. I might just do that.

Ron
Old 10-14-2020, 05:39 AM

My two oldest guitars, an Applause and an Ovation, both came with uncompensated saddles. The intonation was off on both guitars for years. I took them to a good luthier once I learned about compensation and he carved a new compensated saddle for each. Now the intonation is spot on for both guitars.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
My two oldest guitars, an Applause and an Ovation, both came with uncompensated saddles. The intonation was off on both guitars for years. I took them to a good luthier once I learned about compensation and he carved a new compensated saddle for each. Now the intonation is spot on for both guitars.
Yeah, this old Regal was the same. It originally had a smooth rounded saddle (micarta?)

I'm leaning towards a compensated Tusq saddle.

Ron
Old 10-14-2020, 11:34 PM

Default opinion

Sometimes we try to talk problems to death. Nobody besides OP is going to be able to judge. Gonna cost less than fifteen bucks to find out for sure. My suggestion to OP is to buy a compensated saddle and find out.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:35 AM

It’s highly unlikely that your saddle is in the wrong place. Even more unlikely that on a 60 year old instrument that it is too far away.
If the saddle is about 1/8” away from double the nut to 12th fret distance, it’s very close to where it should be. 2mm out for top E to 5mm for bottom E

If it were 1/8” out from where it should be it would make no difference what saddle you used, that old girl will never play in tune.

Since it probably is in the right place, swap like for like. Put in a compensated saddle
Old 10-15-2020, 06:07 AM

Talldad thank you for your reply. I ordered both but I think the compensated saddle will most likely work out best.

Ron

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair