The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 01:50 PM

Default Most accurate digital in-case hygrometer

Hivemind: what is the most accurate, tiny in-case hygrometer in the market? Now that I splurged on a Collings I'd been eyeing, I don't want to cheap out on humidity maintenance. Looking for something that fits inside the typical Collings TKL case.

I have been poking about Sensorpush, D'Addario Hydrotrak, Taylor Mini Hygro-Thermometer, Oasis etc. I do like the concept of being able to check through an app, but not necessary. Thank you.

Last edited by asobi; 05-24-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I have 6 of the D’Addario humiditrak sensors. They all register within 10% of each other, and my NASA hydrometer. That is as good of concordance that ive seennwith ant consumer grade device. Sometimes the app gets fussy though...
Old 05-24-2020, 03:41 PM

The most accurate hygrometer is the one you’ve recently calibrated. Order some potassium carbonate salts and do a salt test, that will ensure your hygrometer is accurate at 43% humidity, close to ideal for guitar purposes. Re-calibrate yearly as hygrometers tend to drift.

I use this $50 system from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath.../dp/B00FX8ZGOO

It comes with three wireless sensors I put in my cases (supports up to 8 sensors) which connect to a base unit so I can read all the sensors at a glance. All three sensors were accurate within a few percentage points right out of the box, as tested with potassium carbonate. Can’t ask for much more than that, and it’s a fraction of the price of humiditraks, especially if you need a lot of sensors.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Cosmic- I agree with all you said. I was hoping humiditrak would come down in price when volume paid R&D, but they havent budged. I think theyre adequate to keep guitars in their comfort zone, and the app is nice when it works. (Most of the time). I think if they cycle out of use, I’m switching to a newer, cheaper alternative. If d’addario dropped them to $25-30, Id probably stick with them?
Old 05-24-2020, 05:26 PM

I just tested the 4 that I have earlier this week and determined the Oasis Hygrometer to be the only one that was accurate. The others varied by +/- 3 or 4%. Added bonus, the Oasis is the only one that can be calibrated.

I guess the good news is +/- 3% is accurate enough to keep your guitar out of trouble.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:16 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestyle View Post
Hivemind: what is the most accurate, tiny in-case hygrometer in the market? Now that I splurged on a Collings I'd been eyeing, I don't want to cheap out on humidity maintenance. Looking for something that fits inside the typical Collings TKL case.

I have been poking about Sensorpush, D'Addario Hydrotrak, Taylor Mini Hygro-Thermometer, Oasis etc. I do like the concept of being able to check through an app, but not necessary. Thank you.
I've never tried them all, but the ones I use are very accurate and adjustable. They're the Oasis. I simply use the salt method to calibrate them once every 6 months and they're good to go.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 05-24-2020, 07:23 PM

got me an analog one about the size of a 1/2 dollar....shipped from China to my mailbox for three bucks!! (those clever Chinese).....keep it in my guitar case....works as good as any digital I've used, and no batteries.....
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 05-24-2020, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

I would be willing to be the circuit at the heart of all these devices is the same. The answer is that they are all plenty accurate for guitars.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:28 PM

My experience with the D'Addario Humiditraks is horrible. I did a salt test for a couple of days and today one read 74% and the other read 86%.

I just got some of the Oasis bluetooth trackers from someone here on AGF and they were all very close to 75% and can be tweaked as needed in the app. MUCH better.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOsmo View Post
The most accurate hygrometer is the one you’ve recently calibrated. Order some potassium carbonate salts and do a salt test, that will ensure your hygrometer is accurate at 43% humidity, close to ideal for guitar purposes. Re-calibrate yearly as hygrometers tend to drift.

I use this $50 system from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath.../dp/B00FX8ZGOO

It comes with three wireless sensors I put in my cases (supports up to 8 sensors) which connect to a base unit so I can read all the sensors at a glance. All three sensors were accurate within a few percentage points right out of the box, as tested with potassium carbonate. Can’t ask for much more than that, and it’s a fraction of the price of humiditraks, especially if you need a lot of sensors.
That system is a bargain if accurate.

Can you provide a link to the potassium carbonate you mentioned? I'm confused by the choices on Amazon.

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2020, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I've never tried them all, but the ones I use are very accurate and adjustable. They're the Oasis. I simply use the salt method to calibrate them once every 6 months and they're good to go.
Just a heads-up for potential purchasers - there are two Oasis in-case hygrometers. I believe you’re talking about the OH-2C model there, which can be calibrated. Potential purchasers should be aware that the OH-2 hygrometer, also available, cannot be calibrated.

I have five of the latter, all purchased before the OH-2C became available. They all read within 3% of each other, which is plenty close enough for comfort.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-25-2020, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I have four Sensorpush ones and am very happy with them. Their customer service is fantastic also.

I had the D'addario ones/app for a while but the app was too buggy and the customer service was poor.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I have four Sensorpush ones and am very happy with them. Their customer service is fantastic also.

I had the D'addario ones/app for a while but the app was too buggy and the customer service was poor.
Based on other comments in different threads in addition to your endorsement, I decided to try Sensorpush - thanks for the recommendation!
Old 05-25-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post

Agree. All my guitars have SensorPush now. It’s a much better product than D’Addario.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Potential purchasers should be aware that the OH-2 hygrometer, also available, cannot be calibrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD_NC View Post
Added bonus, the Oasis is the only one that can be calibrated.
Just to be clear, EVERY hygrometer can be calibrated. NOT all hygrometers can have their display adjusted to read a true value.

Calibration involves comparing readings to a known standard to determine the amount of deviation from the comparison standard. In devices that cannot have their reading adjusted, it can be as simple as writing on a piece of tape that amount to add or subtract from that gauges reading. For example, write on a piece of masking tape and affix to the gauge, "Add 5% to reading". It is then calibrated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion