The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Sounds to me like your describing a D35.
I'm not sure why I didn't think of that guitar. I love my D35 and it will be a lifetime guitar.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-05-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I like this.

I have focused more on rosewood and koa for my last few guitars. But the video Brucebub posted of the maple Guild as well as the Mary Chapin Carpenter maple Greven have me rethinking this.
I'm not really sure why I was against maple guitars for so many years. Maybe my ears have matured.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

The post title brought these to mind:
Martin J-40
Gibson J-200
Martin J-35
Martin J-41
Taylor 12 fret
Old 05-05-2020, 09:34 PM

For some reason(s) I think you may need to move away from the Martin, Taylor,and particularly Eastman production models and concentrate on the Irish guitars or custom builds. It may be easier, and cheaper, to keep the ones you have and put the dream guitars back in your dreams. If that is not possible you might look into luthier-built guitars.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I was playing my 18-month-old Martin D-18 back and forth with my nearly-15-year-old Taylor 210 recently and found myself wondering what the hybrid of both guitars would be.

I love the deeper, slightly compressed, vintage-inspired tones of the Martin. But I also love the immediate, balanced, crispness of the Taylor.

What guitar would have the best mix of both sets of characteristics?

My Fairbanks does to a degree, but while it has both depth and clarity, it’s also a very dry, focused, fundamental tone consistent with what one might expect from an old J-35 or J-45.

I’m wondering if there’s something that has piano-like depth to the low end and some dimensional middle to top-end shimmer. Am I describing rosewood? Is it finally time to try a new flavor after almost exclusively playing mahogany and its cousins for 15–20 years? Am I describing a modern take on vintage? Collings? Goodall? Something else? Am I just going a bit crazy with cabin fever?

I haven’t shopped around for guitars much in the last 12–18 months and was very much focused on the traditional D-18 tone for a number of years prior to that. Now I’m slowly starting to wonder what’s next, if anything.

I’m in no hurry — I pace my guitar buying in terms of years, not weeks or months. The planning and scheming and researching and dreaming and window shopping and all that is half the fun anyway.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hi AT...

Well, you could have Mr. Fairbanks build you...or buy one of his used...an Advanced Jumbo or J-185 body in Rosewood and either Sitka or Euro spruce.

Or...A Martin 0000M style in Rosewood, or a Martin J-40, or a Martin OM-42 or 000-42. Or a Martin D-28 Marquis series.

Or...going way off into left field used, a late 90's/early 2000's Breedlove Ed Gerhard Signature Model jumbo in Sitka/EIR...talk about piano like bass...the whole guitar is piano like in response across all the strings.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 05-05-2020, 10:15 PM

I agree with the Martin J-40 suggestions, and would like to add the Martin D-41.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:50 PM

Any Bourgeois dread will do that easily. Very clear, shockingly balanced in all frequencies, strong bass and crisp trebles and mids that can sing out. Don't overlook Bourgeois.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:03 AM

First thing I thought when I read the OP’s post was that my Guild D55 is EXACTLY what he is describing. I’ve always said it sounds like a grand piano. That maple jumbo sounds amazing too.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:14 AM

Great clip comparing 3 excellent maple jumbo's.

Gibson SJ-200 - Guild F-55M and Taylor 618.

They're all good ... but I lean to the Gibson in this comparison.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-06-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I was playing my 18-month-old Martin D-18 back and forth with my nearly-15-year-old Taylor 210 recently and found myself wondering what the hybrid of both guitars would be.

I love the deeper, slightly compressed, vintage-inspired tones of the Martin. But I also love the immediate, balanced, crispness of the Taylor.

What guitar would have the best mix of both sets of characteristics?

My Fairbanks does to a degree, but while it has both depth and clarity, it’s also a very dry, focused, fundamental tone consistent with what one might expect from an old J-35 or J-45.

I’m wondering if there’s something that has piano-like depth to the low end and some dimensional middle to top-end shimmer.
Larrivee, any model.

Larrivee D10 (2003)
Larrivee OM10 RX Moonspruce (2018)
Martin HD28V (2014)
Taylor K62ce 12-fret LTD 12-string (2016)
Taylor GSmini-e Rosewood (2014)
Gibson J45 Standard Vintage Sunburst (2016)
Ovation Custom Elite CE778 (2002)
Old 05-06-2020, 07:01 AM

At the Risk of sounding like I'm beating a dead horse lol,

I think a Furch Dread or RS would do that. Maybe even a Jumbo:

RS Dread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_Njcf7A_Q

Jumbo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR11NZIxKp0

Square Dread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyxeA7TMljg
Old 05-06-2020, 08:00 AM

I actually got the guitar in this video below used from a fellow member. I love this guitar- the video doesn't do justice to how the bass notes sound, really deep. The lower bout I guess is deep, and that affects the sound.
Anyways, I don't know how many they made but if you come across a recent Gibson Nick Lucas L100 Maple you should consider it.

https://youtu.be/YcBn38hffQw
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 05-06-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Hi ataylor

Start saving money and playing lots of guitars. Keep saving money, then when you find THE guitar…buy it.

I'm serious about the suggestion. I spent between 5-6 years searching for a match to my Olson to be a complimentary but different instrument. I played thousands of guitars (at length).

Ultimately I ended up commissioning a guitar (after playing more than half dozen recent guitars the builder had built). I had enough money saved for the downpayment, and since I was in the habit of saving, I had the money saved to pay it off well before it was constructed.

My Olson is now 26 years old, and my Bashkin is 15 years old. Still the best guitars I've ever owned.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-06-2020, 12:35 PM

Just in case ...

https://youtu.be/9Q-EyTb-S9Q
Old 05-06-2020, 01:09 PM

Well after all that the Furch GA works for me , no matter what people say...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion