The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-23-2020, 01:00 PM

Default (first post) Seeking Fingerstyle Advice

Hi Everyone, first post here! I've been playing fingerstyle guitar since I was a teenager, and now in my 20s realize how much I've missed out on learning and why I always felt like something was missing. To put it simply, I did not learn correctly. I "learned" by memorizing challenging songs from all my favorite artists (Andy McKee, Eddie van der Meer, Sungha Jung). Did this mostly through tab and, when those were not available, watching/copying live performances.

I can physically play guitar, but I have no idea what I'm actually doing. I can't "decode" any song I've learned - which keys are being used or how to transition to others, which chords are best suited and available, why the artist made the decisions they did, etc. Similar issues for writing my own fingerstyle arrangements, wouldn't know how to use theory to help build on ideas and riffs.

It's a bit painful to come to terms with this given all the time I've put in, but don't want to fool myself anymore.

My goals are to:
  • understand and be able figure out exactly what these artists are doing in terms of theory
  • be better equipped for writing my own tunes/arrangments.

Any book recommendations for guitar theory, modern fingerstyle (like artists I mentioned), or advice for my situation in general would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:18 PM
Get off my lawn kid

We just had a recent discussion on what people use to compose. The general consensus was that composing comes from interaction with the guitar, not theory.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=578153

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-23-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
Hi Everyone, first post here! I've been playing fingerstyle guitar since I was a teenager, and now in my 20s realize how much I've missed out on learning and why I always felt like something was missing. To put it simply, I did not learn correctly. I "learned" by memorizing challenging songs from all my favorite artists (Andy McKee, Eddie van der Meer, Sungha Jung). Did this mostly through tab and, when those were not available, watching/copying live performances.
Welcome to the forum.

A perfect way to learn IMO. You get a good workout on your technical skills (learning those that the pieces require) and on developing a good ear.

A little bit like McKee does: https://www.ernieball.com/stringtheory/andy-mckee

That's about all you need to play stuff. If you are going to compose stuff you have your ear training already. However awareness of the elements of how good pieces are usually put together would be important. Analyzing the structure of the music you already play and some reading on the subject would be helpful.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-23-2020, 01:39 PM

While you are at it, take a basic music theory class. Community colleges offer them on line. The class is only one unit of work, so nothing intense. And it is a great complement to the guitar theory you study.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

"Modern Fingerstyle" is how And McKey described his style for "Andy McKey's Musicarium" event I attended last summer.
There were a few "Ah Ha" moments for me when they described their writing process with alternate tunings.
please don't blow me up for the massive oversimplification I am about to be guilty of...
Mostly they were tuned their guitars to a chord, and picked out melodies that fit within that chord framework. If they wanted a note, and that note was our of reach, they just turned a tuning key until it was within reach.
It is cool in that it blows up the frameworks and conventions and allows unfettered creativity.
It is a challenge in that it blows up the frameworks and conventions and hinders replication.

So what I would do if I were you, pull up a lesson online about beginner bass guitar. Learn where the roots are in standard tuning. Your ear will recognize fitment of notes and harmonies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write