The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2018, 03:22 PM

Default Taylors and 9V batteries

To my knowledge, Taylor has always recommended the use of Duracell 9V batteries. I've always used Duracell. Earlier this year I purchased a 4 pack and their dimensions have changed. I can barely force the batteries in the holder without fear of breaking the holder.
So I purchased some Ray0Vacs. Same thing.
Yesterday, I purchased a two pack of Energizer 9 volt batteries and fortunately they fit.

I'm wondering specifically about the Duracells, why their dimensions have suddenly changed. JFYI
Old 04-06-2018, 07:41 PM

Believe it or not, there are no size standards for batteries. As you've found out, one batch of Duracells might not be the same size as the previous set.
Here's an old Taylor video that shows how they address this situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZXc...ature=youtu.be

Hope this helps.
Several of those new fangled electrics:
PRS
Gibson
Fender
Gretsch
Old 04-07-2018, 07:35 AM

Thanks for posting that video. I'll refrain from snipping my battery holders as long as I was able to find that Energizers fit, but it's good to know for the future.

I guess part of the point of my post as well, is that I was perplexed that I've used Duracells for the past 8 years and never had a problem until this latest package. It made me curious.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:43 AM

The Europeans are complaining since years that the Taylor battery compartment is not working with the European size 9V block. Taylor doesn't respond to the request.

1930 National Style O
1931 National Triolian
1933 Gibson L-1
2007 Martin 000-18 SB Authentic
2013 Gibson 1935 Advanced Jumbo Limited Edition
2013 Gibson 1934 Original Jumbo Limited Edition
2021 Martin D-28 CAA 1937
2022 Martin 000-28 CAA
Many Strat's, Tele's, ES 335's and a Gretsch Duo Jet
Old 04-07-2018, 08:50 AM

I would assume any good quality alkaline battery should work. I have no idea why Taylor would recommend only using Duracell batteries.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:36 PM

Any topic with Taylor and a "V" in it makes me nervous.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
I would assume any good quality alkaline battery should work. I have no idea why Taylor would recommend only using Duracell batteries.
Unlike AA or D or other cylindrical batteries, 9V batteries can vary considerably in actual dimensions from manufacturer to manufacturer, or plant to plant.

Crazy, but true.

Taylor recommended Duracell because in the past Duracell has been very consistent in size.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-07-2018, 05:02 PM

Here's a reply I posted elsewhere on the same subject . . .

"Further to my last post I took the battery out of my GS Mini Koa and did a little comparing to a long life battery from my local Tesco (I'm in the UK) with the aid of a Mitutoyo digital caliper. These batteries aren't made that precisely when you can measure to 1/100th of a mm, so I measured at various points on all dimensions and took an average. Widthwise there was nothing in it at 25.7mm. Depth was 16.6mm for the Taylor supplied Duracell and 17.1mm for the Tesco, I don't know if this would be a problem for the contacts to engage properly. It's the height of course that's the problem with the plastic cage, 43.7mm for the Duracell and 45.1mm for the Tesco. Here's a comparison picture of my batteries, and a link to Taylor's suggested fix, although some might call it a bodge."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZXcdNRw1a8

Old 04-07-2018, 05:32 PM

This thread made me wonder.....how often should you change batteries?
I've had my Taylor for right at a year and don't really plug in.
I need to look at it to make sure the thing isn't leaking or corroding inside the compartment.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
I need to look at it to make sure the thing isn't leaking or corroding inside the compartment.
I use the Energizer 9v lithium batteries. They are supposed to be good for several years, but I don't keep my battery in the guitar but in the case. If I need it I install it.
2017 Gibson HP 415 W
2017 Ibanez AVN10
2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard T (Desert Burst)
2017 Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster 3 color Sunburst
2017 Fender Special Edition Deluxe Ash Telecaster
2017 Fender American Professional Telecaster
2017 Epiphone ES-339 P90 Pro
Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
I had my 514ce for close to 20 yrs and never changed the battery once. Of course I didn't plug in very often either.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Unlike AA or D or other cylindrical batteries, 9V batteries can vary considerably in actual dimensions from manufacturer to manufacturer, or plant to plant.

Crazy, but true.

Taylor recommended Duracell because in the past Duracell has been very consistent in size.
Ok well indeed that makes sense. Interesting!
Old 04-07-2018, 10:08 PM

A couple things... Taylor uses a specific kind of Duracell that fits. They do so because they know they screwed up. They acknowledge the screwup by telling you to snip the holder. The latest batch of battery holders has different specs than older ones that came in ES1 models. My 2011 614ce will take any 9V. Not so with my 2017 814ceDLX. Someone built the new injection mold a few 1000ths too short. Any shorter and no 9v's would fit and they'd have to retool.

On my Taylors I use 9v rechargeable and have measured the shortest ones. Then I've exacto'd the excess paper off the top and bottom and now, while very snug will fit without modifying the holder.

I've found these rechargeables to fit (albeit snuggly) and have 600mah power for extra long life. Not only do they fit and last a long time but have enough juice to power a pedal for a 3 hour gig. http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HV4KFSA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$22, but you have four batteries ready to go and it will be a few years before they need replacing. I have other 200-250mah NiMH batteries that work, but I like these the best. $4 for a throw-away alkaline? Not for me. I use the rechargeables for everything.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-07-2018, 11:50 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about. There are many different sizes. Here is the size you need to look for....Duracell 6LR61. It is the exact size.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
I had my 514ce for close to 20 yrs and never changed the battery once. Of course I didn't plug in very often either.
Hey that's DANGEROUS! Old battery tends to leak corrosive plasma, which is not only gross, but also might destroy your electronic device eventually! If you don't plug in very often, please remove the battery.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion