The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 01:53 PM

Default Epiphone Masterbilt Neck Profiles

I've really come to love the "round C" profile on my Epi Masterbilt Olympic.

There are a couple of other models I'm looking at that describe the neck profile as a "60's slim taper C".

Are the descibing the width of the neck when they describe it that way ? I'm not sure I've ever felt a neck described as such and there are no examples I can find in a shop within 50 miles to try out.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:55 PM

A thin neck is the 60's slim taper c. The older Masterbilts like my AJ-500 had a fatter neck I call a full c. I hope that little bit helps.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 05-26-2020, 03:35 PM

@Nyghthawk

Ok, thanks. Sounds like I should perhaps stick with the chunky round C then.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha335 View Post
I've really come to love the "round C" profile on my Epi Masterbilt Olympic.

There are a couple of other models I'm looking at that describe the neck profile as a "60's slim taper C"...
I own a 2011 Gibson LP '60s Tribute goldtop/P-90 with a modern "Slim Taper" neck: 1-11/16", flattened-C profile...

I had one of the first Gibson '61 SG reissues from 1986 with a true '60s "Slim Taper" neck: 1-5/8", midway between a flattened-C and a soft-D profile, and the second-fastest neck I've ever had on an electric (that honor goes to a mid-70's Hagstrom Swede I should never have traded, with a similar profile)...

Other than the (discontinued) ES-175 Premium and Japanese-made Elitist models, Epiphone hasn't produced a true "Slim Taper" neck since they moved to Chinese production circa 2008...

Unless they've made some very recent changes the post-2008 "Slim Taper" is, in spite of its name, a chunky, cheeky D-profile that bears absolutely no resemblance to its sleek '60s namesake - I own a 2012 ES-339 Ultra that I can't play for extended periods without cramping, and if it didn't sound so good (actually, as good as my '61 SG RI) I would've unloaded it long ago...

If you like the "Louisville Slugger" profile on the MB Olympic, you'll probably be OK with the "Slim Taper" - personally, I'm not...
Old 05-26-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I own a 2011 Gibson LP '60s Tribute goldtop/P-90 with a modern "Slim Taper" neck: 1-11/16", flattened-C profile...

I had one of the first Gibson '61 SG reissues from 1986 with a true '60s "Slim Taper" neck: 1-5/8", midway between a flattened-C and a soft-D profile, and the second-fastest neck I've ever had on an electric (that honor goes to a mid-70's Hagstrom Swede I should never have traded, with a similar profile)...

Other than the (discontinued) ES-175 Premium and Japanese-made Elitist models, Epiphone hasn't produced a true "Slim Taper" neck since they moved to Chinese production circa 2008...

Unless they've made some very recent changes the post-2008 "Slim Taper" is, in spite of its name, a chunky, cheeky D-profile that bears absolutely no resemblance to its sleek '60s namesake - I own a 2012 ES-339 Ultra that I can't play for extended periods without cramping, and if it didn't sound so good (actually, as good as my '61 SG RI) I would've unloaded it long ago...

If you like the "Louisville Slugger" profile on the MB Olympic, you'll probably be OK with the "Slim Taper" - personally, I'm not...
Well, thanks for the heads up. If it's anywhere near a D profile I won't play it. No matter how chunky it is.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion