The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 09:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Fun Story: An 86-Year-Old Guitarist Compares a Casein Pick To Tortoise Shell.

Hi, Everyone. Sorry this is on the longish side. I've shared this story with a couple picker buddies, and they thought others would enjoy it.

Out of the blue, about a month ago I received an email from an old friend about an elderly man who had been playing genuine TS picks for sixty years, then stumbled upon casein. Passing it along.

Hey Scott, my name is Brad C. I am a school teacher in West Virginia and I was born, raised and still reside in Kentucky. We shared some fantastic emails a few years ago and I’m not sure if you remember me or not. I play a thinner casein pick, in the range of 0.75mm.

Anyway, I have been playing pick for about three years. I play it with songs I write for myself at home and I use it for 3 gospel shows at local churches every month.

I just feel as a guitar player you can never have enough quality picks that work for you. It plays a crucial role in my tone and how I want to sound, as important as the strings I play or the amp I play or the cabinet I have. I’m no professional musician.. all the music I play is simply for fun and enjoyment.
True story….

My grandfather played guitar and he had a handful of real-deal tortoise shell picks. I was only 15 when he passed away, so I wasn’t really in a position to claim anything considering his guitars would eventually go through my father and then to me one day in the future.

He kept all of his picks inside a wooden cigar box, a small Arturo Fuente box. That box sat in a cabinet that was given to a close friend of his who he used to play music with. This friend told me back then that it was sheer coincidence he got the picks because the only thing left in the will was the actual cabinet. When things were being split up no one opened the cabinet. But I believe my grandfather gave his friend these picks because he knew they were hard to find and his friend would take care of them as well as appreciate what they were.

Anyway, I used to visit this man once a week and pick a few tunes with him. I used to grab a tortoise shell pick from that cigar box every time I went. But once I got a casein pick, I didn’t reach for a tortoise pick to play anymore on my visits. Literally the 2nd time I didn’t grab for a real tortoise, my grandfather’s friend asked me, “Why?” I then handed him the casein pick & he immediately understood why.

Now, I don’t expect an 86-year-old man to go crazy over guitar picks. But he has asked me to use it at times. He also went on to say that it was the absolute closest thing to a real deal tortoise shell pick he’s ever held and actually couldn’t believe it wasn’t one when he started playing it. I guess back when tortoise shell picks were becoming a thing of the past, he said everyone was looking for the next best thing, but that in reality no one could come close. He says he always thought there was a material somewhere out there, but that the crafter had not come along to master it. That is, until he casein.

One day he said, “I always said a pick material hadn’t come along yet to really replicate the tortoise shell picks. Until now. I can finally say there is a pick material out there as close to 100% of these old relics.”

I don’t see my grandfather’s friend anymore. The Alzheimers is in full stage and he just doesn’t remember people. I think his family moved him to Florida last autumn and I would love to get my hands on just one of my Grandfather’s old tortoise shell picks, but in reality I know they are either lost forever or given to someone without even really knowing their history. Personally, I have my go-to picks right here. I would just like one to put in my case. Not because of what it is but because of who it came from and who played it. I’d never use them honestly. No reason to when I’m playing a casein pick.

Sorry for the long email. You have inspired me and given me new drive to play guitar.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:22 PM

Wow Scott, great story and thanks for sharing. It’s true we have an amazing amount of choice in both picks and guitars - kind of a golden age in a way. Holland.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyoung View Post
Wow Scott, great story and thanks for sharing. It’s true we have an amazing amount of choice in both picks and guitars - kind of a golden age in a way. Holland.
I'll be emailing this out to some folks too, Holland, including you. Thanks for adding to the conversation.

As you and I have discussed, in forty years of trial and error during which you and I have played hundreds of different materials for decades -- for my personal playing I've yet to find a single material that suits all my playing situations. Even before CLP was a thing, I always traded off between three or four materials, depending on song, guitar, etc.

Even casein, which I think is closest to the real thing, is not for every guitar or every player. Same thing with Vespel. They ALL have their advantages, and they all have their drawbacks, just like guitars, strings, amps, tuner, etc. Vespel is wonderful, and also incredibly durable and strong. And yet there are many threads on AGF where people prefer Dunlop Primetones, Wegens, etc. As you say, the more the merrier.

Thanks, Buddy. Blessings to you and your wife and family,

scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 05-25-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Great story Scott, thanks for sharing, and he is right, at least for me, casein has supplanted every thing else, and Scott, the speed bevel pick is awesome!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 05-26-2020, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

Hi Scott,

What's your personal favourite thickness and shape in casein? I realise that everyone will have a preference in picks but, as you make your own, I'd be really interested in which one is your 'go to' at present? I haven't really settled on my 'perfect' casein pick yet but around 1.3 to 1.5 with a rounded point and speed bevel is sort of where I'm at. Although, I don't think my shaping is that good and it is certainly not consistent - every one I make is a little different!

Robin

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Hi Scott,

What's your personal favourite thickness and shape in casein? I realise that everyone will have a preference in picks but, as you make your own, I'd be really interested in which one is your 'go to' at present? I haven't really settled on my 'perfect' casein pick yet but around 1.3 to 1.5 with a rounded point and speed bevel is sort of where I'm at. Although, I don't think my shaping is that good and it is certainly not consistent - every one I make is a little different!

Robin
Robin, hi. Yeah, casein is a real challenge to work with. It's kinda like the opposite of Vespel. Vespel is ridiculously expensive but relatively easy to make into a pick. Casein, on the other hand, is not expensive but impossible to work with. Even after many years, it's tough to create an automation process to work with this stuff, so it remains a very hands-on process. After practicing on several thousand, I hope I've gotten a little better.

Take Care, Robin,
Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion