The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-26-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
There are no guidelines for most supplements. I recommend a vitamin D if your vitamin D happens to be low. And other vitamins as directed by lab work that is done by your physician. The problem with supplements is there is a lot of anecdotal information but no real studies that any of them do anything. Worse they are not regulated and so no one knows what they’re really getting when they buy supplements. As to the quality. I’ve had patients take these and develop transient increases in liver enzymes increases. As always, check with your personal physician who has your interests in heart.

I was put on Vitamin D and doctor didn't monitor.
Last checkup I was removed because my level was at high limit. I get blood Test every month from the VA. The report is given to the doctor to adjust my meds.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Attachment 9057

A few of my frames.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Why do you need more than 1
FAS, naturally, what else,

I bet if a lot of us (especially me) played tennis a couple of hours a day, 4-5 times a week we wouldn't need supplements, bp meds, etc. Hmmmm.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-26-2018, 10:57 AM

im 66 and dont take that stuff, sometimes my doc says take some over the counter vitamin d, but thats usually in the winter
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 05-26-2018, 11:19 AM

yes, i even cook with turmeric. ginger is a great anti-inflammatory also. i take vitamin d as it is good for bones and immune system.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-26-2018, 12:48 PM

Not all supps are quackery. In fact, some are very good. I use a high bp supplement which I've been very happy with. My knee pain had gotten so bad that I finally tried CBD oil.

Admittedly, I despise western medicine and will elect a non-pharmaceutical approach every time.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:47 PM

Same age here but I don't take anything. When I was very young my mom forced me to take those 1-a-day vitamins every morning, but neither she nor my pop did. I thought there was something wrong with me but it turns out it was she who had been brain washed to believe vitamins were necessary supplements kids needed. Vitamins came about in the age of the Boomer and exploded into an industry of those who believe they need the things and those who sell them to believers. Incredible. I'd like to see the real science that confirms their benefit to better health rather than reports of pill producers who employ the doctors who write the reports.

I work out every day. When I hurt or get hurt I work out harder and over-come the discomfort. There is no free lunch and the so-called medical arts will side with big pharma for the boo$t rather than pursue a course of therapy that increases discomfort for the short term leading to the healing. People want to be free of pain, doctors have little pills that can do that, and med-free therapy that hurt like heck but worked to heal the cause is now history. Oh, yea, therapy is part of the prescription but that little pill coupled with laziness tells the real story.

Brainwashing is easy: "Nine out of 10 doctors agree that our Colon Blow cereal every morning before work will lead to better health." Even SNL attempted to expose it for what it is but people are slaves to their doctor's words. Despite the fact that a doctorates degree on a man's wall does not necessarily make him a good doctor (Major Frank Burns), his patients blindly follow his directions, takes his prescribed meds and everyone is happy. After all, he is a doctor, right?

I eat one meal a day and have been doing that for 40 years. I can still sprint 50 yards and not be winded. I can still do 15 pull-ups, 50 push-ups, unlimited sit-ups and 35 bar dips. Nutritional intake cannot be standardized because people are not carbon copies of each other. Persons in charge of themselves and in tune with their energy level needs, in other words self-aware, can pretty well maintain their own health and diet without the sellers of snake oil supplements being even remotely influential on them. Boomers can thank their parents for allowing vitamins and supplements to infiltrate and diminish common sense.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:41 PM

67 here. I take vitamins & minerals, but I run them past my doctors (especially my oncologist) to determine if they would affect the essential medications I must take or make any conditions worse. (e.g., my oncologist believes CBD might have estrogenic effects which could fuel leftover hormone-positive tumor cells; and certain herbs I used to take for weight control would make my anti-estrogen med less effective but my antihypertensive med too uncontrollably strong). I gave up ginkgo biloba (which I'd taken for tinnitus) when my primary care doc put me on krill oil (even though I eat wild fatty fish often) and baby aspirin--the ginkgo could have made my blood too thin. Ditto for another weight loss herb. (No, not ephedra--never touched that with a 10-ft. pole). But I need CoQ10 because I'm on a statin; Vit. K2 to help prevent a breast cancer recurrence; and calcium citrate (can't absorb carbonate), magnesium & D3 to help keep leg cramps at bay and osteopenia from becoming osteoporosis. (Diet doesn't provide enough calcium, and sunshine exposure w/o sunscreen is not an option, acc. to my dermatologist). But I do take my turmeric, garlic, & cinnamon "on the hoof:" as seasonings in food.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

Last edited by Chicago Sandy; 05-26-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:45 PM

69. D3 and Saw Palmetto. Pickleball, Tennis, Golf, Snow Skiing, float tubing.

The worst problem I've had is side effects from prescribed Atorvastatin (corollary of stent). Took me a year to get the dose correct. Overprescribed by 300%. Now that it's balanced to my body, I believe it is an excellent medication.

Quote:
A few of my frames.
Those top frames look like Aeros. I have two. What are the others?
Old 05-26-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
69. D3 and Saw Palmetto. Pickleball, Tennis, Golf, Snow Skiing, float tubing.

The worst problem I've had is side effects from prescribed Atorvastatin (corollary of stent). Took me a year to get the dose correct. Overprescribed by 300%. Now that it's balanced to my body, I believe it is an excellent medication.

Those top frames look like Aeros. I have two. What are the others?
AeroPro Drives, Pure Drives, Pros Staffs, now I’m playing the Wilson Burns.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I’m deeply skeptical of the entire “supplement” industry which time and again has been proved to be either ineffectual or downright harmful.
In the words of Sheldon Cooper: "Well, there’s some value to taking a multivitamin, but the human body can only absorb so much, what you’re buying here are the ingredients for very expensive urine."

Penny: "Well, maybe that’s what I was going for."

Sheldon: "Well, then, you’ll want some manganese."

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:29 AM

Last year , I removed the only pill I took because it isn't necessary .
Eat well , work , be outside and don't smoke .
You will live until you die .
Old 05-27-2018, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Exercise and diet , mostly vegetarian (some fish) no pills.
Every morning and noon, I drink a fruit and veggie smoothy, in the morning with a piece of home made organic whole wheat bread and little organic jam and at noon with 1 1/2 peanut butter butter sandwich .

@ 68, I bicycle 2 to 4 days a week in good weather (about 6-7 months a year) on an 18.5 mile round trip route up and down 4 % to 12% grade hills at and elevation of about 6k ft.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-27-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Same age here but I don't take anything. When I was very young my mom forced me to take those 1-a-day vitamins every morning, but neither she nor my pop did. I thought there was something wrong with me but it turns out it was she who had been brain washed to believe vitamins were necessary supplements kids needed. Vitamins came about in the age of the Boomer and exploded into an industry of those who believe they need the things and those who sell them to believers. Incredible. I'd like to see the real science that confirms their benefit to better health rather than reports of pill producers who employ the doctors who write the reports.

I work out every day. When I hurt or get hurt I work out harder and over-come the discomfort. There is no free lunch and the so-called medical arts will side with big pharma for the boo$t rather than pursue a course of therapy that increases discomfort for the short term leading to the healing. People want to be free of pain, doctors have little pills that can do that, and med-free therapy that hurt like heck but worked to heal the cause is now history. Oh, yea, therapy is part of the prescription but that little pill coupled with laziness tells the real story.

Brainwashing is easy: "Nine out of 10 doctors agree that our Colon Blow cereal every morning before work will lead to better health." Even SNL attempted to expose it for what it is but people are slaves to their doctor's words. Despite the fact that a doctorates degree on a man's wall does not necessarily make him a good doctor (Major Frank Burns), his patients blindly follow his directions, takes his prescribed meds and everyone is happy. After all, he is a doctor, right?

I eat one meal a day and have been doing that for 40 years. I can still sprint 50 yards and not be winded. I can still do 15 pull-ups, 50 push-ups, unlimited sit-ups and 35 bar dips. Nutritional intake cannot be standardized because people are not carbon copies of each other. Persons in charge of themselves and in tune with their energy level needs, in other words self-aware, can pretty well maintain their own health and diet without the sellers of snake oil supplements being even remotely influential on them. Boomers can thank their parents for allowing vitamins and supplements to infiltrate and diminish common sense.
That is some of the worst medical advice I have ever heard of!
Old 05-27-2018, 02:26 PM

Vitamin D 'cause the doctor prescribed it. A multi 'cause I think it might help wherever I'm deficient, though I have no proof.

Lots of fruits and veggies, a bit a cereal, regular servings of fish, some red meat but not anywhere near what i was raised to eat. Coffee.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:31 PM

I'm a practicing physical therapist. I exercise, cardio and resistance, 5-6 days a week and take a variety of supplements including a good mv, turmeric curcumin, ginger, vit d, q10, and omega 3 and 7. I'm 67 and play golf several times a month. Fortunately I've never spent a day in the hospital except in my practice. There is some good research on all of the above and I truly think it would behoove many of you to begin a regimen of supplements after checking with your md. By the way I take no prescription medications.
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic