The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 PM

Default Kidney Stones; Day 5

Any tips?

On painkillers and anti inflammatories.

LOVE the hot showers.

Anything else to add? Doctor sez...you just gotta wait it out.

Last time was a month.

Any help you can offer? Heck, I will settle for a supportive note of caring!
Old 05-18-2018, 10:00 PM

I know what you are going through. Fortunately, my kidney stones passéd rather quickly. Had several over about a 2-3 yr span. Been 20 yrs since the last (and worse) one.

Drink lots of water. Also cranberry juice.

Take care.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:44 AM

I passed one about 3 years ago. Worst pain ever! Ask your doctor for flowmax pills, they help to break the stone down. Otherwise there’s nothing else to do but rink lots of water, take something for the pain and hope it passes fast!

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-19-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 05-19-2018, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

Been there, done that.
When doctors ask me about pain levels one to ten, I say "I've had kidney stones" which I rate as a ten. This time last year after cancer treatment I spent about three months at ten.

Almost gave up.

Mine passed in hospital waiting for an X-ray. I remember the "ping" as it hit the metal WC.

"All things shall pass"
Old 05-19-2018, 06:52 AM

"All things shall pass"

That is priceless...made me laugh.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2018, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Harrison Said It

Sorry Davis. But all things must pass.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-19-2018, 08:39 AM

It's been a while - fortunately - since I have had a stone. Only talked to one woman who has given birth and had kidney stones and she said that the stones were worse (and with no payoff when it is passed!)

There is an expensive formulation with potassium citrate and magnesium citrate that urologists recommend, but I buy inexpensive 99mg potassium citrate and take every day (I also take Mg citrate but in lower doses.) Note that it has to be CITRATE. See https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hw204323

Good luck, you have my deepest sympathy.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:21 AM

Default Kidney stones

I passed within a couple of years over 50 kidney stones with the grand finale being a treatment of Shock Wave Lithotripsy (SWL) https://tinyurl.com/jaet3oz

After being involved in an industrial accident at work I was on large doses of Fentanyl and that is when the kidney stones developed, I got off the Fentanyl, and also the Urologist prescribed Potassium, haven’t had any issues with Kidney stones since and it’s been a couple of years.

My pain management doctor said it was the Fentanyl that was causing the kidney stones so after I got off the fentanyl I did not start the Potassium until a year after getting off fentanyl, I developed no kidney stones during that year, I went on the potassium as a proactive measure.

Be sure and do yourself a favor read up on all potential side effects of any medications that are being prescribed to you, there are some meds that may not mix well with you at all – a lesson I painfully learned.

Best wishes on your journey – keep us informed.

Brian
Old 05-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Davis,

Here is your supportive note of caring from a fellow sufferer

They move when they want to move. I'm not sure there is much to do short of a "procedure" which is a last resort, but water and flomax can't hurt.

Some of them are too big to make it all the way, and have to be extracted. That was fun

Hang in there. It's not fatal, just frustrating!
Old 05-19-2018, 10:36 AM
AGF Administrator

I've had several and fortunately all but one passed while I was in the hospital. The last one took a few days and I just had to wait it out while taking the pain meds and drinking a lot of water.

Best wishes for a quick passing.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:29 PM

I have only had one but had to have it "basketed" out. They put a scope with a small basket attached up my urethra to the bladder and removed it.

I am so sorry you are going through this. Water, cranberry juice. Maybe pyridium?

Best wishes for a speedy resolution.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 05-19-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Any tips?

On painkillers and anti inflammatories.

LOVE the hot showers.
Anything else to add? Doctor sez...you just gotta wait it out.
I had out of the blue 2 back to back years of kidney stones back in about 2010 & 2011. I'd never had them before in my life. The pain so bad, both times I had to take the ambulance to emergency.
Oxycoton didn't touch the pain. Only prescription strength (800mg) ibuprofen helped. My doctor said the same thing..."wait it out."
I have no idea what your hot showers are about. That was not recommended to me. BUT I was counseled that foods can cause stones. Let's see.......stones both times in summer. What different food(s) did I eat those two summers???.....ah,....grapes. I had developed a taste for and was addicted to grapes. Ate a lot of grapes. Checked the pamphlet from the doctor's office and grapes were listed as a possible cause of stones in some people. I stone cold quit grapes and since have not had any recurrences of stones. May not be grapes for you, but I'd be fairly confident it is something in your diet. Figure it out, quit that food and you may never have stones again.
Good luck.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwayne View Post
It's been a while - fortunately - since I have had a stone. Only talked to one woman who has given birth and had kidney stones and she said that the stones were worse (and with no payoff when it is passed!)

There is an expensive formulation with potassium citrate and magnesium citrate that urologists recommend, but I buy inexpensive 99mg potassium citrate and take every day (I also take Mg citrate but in lower doses.) Note that it has to be CITRATE. See https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hw204323

Good luck, you have my deepest sympathy.
I appreciate the advice. I will look into it for prevention. Thanks so much for your kind words.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:14 PM

And to all with kind words.

You really are a great bunch here. Very touching.

Its improving..I think...
Old 05-19-2018, 09:28 PM

I had a fairly large one went and did the x-ray so they did the lithotripsy. Told me that would take care of it and it should be out of my system as powder within the next few days. Well for the next week the pain was horrible I went back to the urologist they did another x-ray and it was still in the exact same spot with no change!!!

Come to find out the lithotripsy machines on that day were out of calibration it was a complete waste of time and money. My buddy told me to jump up-and-down on a hard concrete floor and it will move it so I went to the basement would jump up and then land hard on my feet I did that three or four times per day. After about three days I went to the bathroom and fell of funny sinsation and....pop out the little thing came.

Good luck, try the jumping method.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic