The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-07-2010, 05:26 AM

Default Composite Acoustics saddle, nut and bridge pin changes?

I have a 2009 Legacy and was wondering if anyone has achieved any improvements in sound/tone by changing the saddle, nut and/or bridge pin materials. Also, would removing the under-saddle pick-up from beneath the saddle allow better transfer of sound acoustically (I play bluegrass and rarely play plugged in). If anyone has had any luck with these types of changes to your CA's, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by csarms; 02-07-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csarms View Post
I have a 2009 Legacy and was wondering if anyone has achieved any improvements in sound/tone by changing the saddle, nut and/or bridge pin materials. Also, would removing the under-saddle pick-up from beneath the saddle allow better transfer of sound acoustically (I play bluegrass and rarely play plugged in). If anyone has had any luck with these types of changes to your CA's, please let me know. Thanks.
Hi csarms,

here`s an interesting link for You.....

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=1

all the best
Joguitar
Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 AM

The CA's come with a graphite type nut and saddle and what appears to be plastic pins. Specifically, I'm looking for results from people who have changed to bone or ivory nuts/saddles/pins, maybe even someone who has tried ebony pins. I'm just trying to get info from others who have tried these materials before I go waste time and money if there is no improvement to be made. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:12 PM

I have an OX Raw. Before you go changing nuts, saddles, etc., try different types, brands and weights of strings. You can get a lot of changes by changing strings. Also, if you play with a pick, try different weight picks.

Jim
Old 02-07-2010, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I,ve already tried different strings and picks. I'm looking for info from those who have changed the nut/saddle/bridge pin materials on their CA's.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:32 PM

Well I have the same question so I am hoping you get an answer. I am sure I will try a tusq saddle to see what effect it has that is a pretty cheap investment. Bone would intrigue me as well. I use the pickup so Tusq will probably be as far as I go.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-08-2010, 02:17 AM

Even if you don't find an answer specifically for that model, you might see if anyone has done such a change on any of the Composite Acoustic guitars, or even on one of the other carbon manufacturers like Rainsong. One of the larger concentrations of carbon guitar players can be found here at the Carbon Fiber Guitar Forum. Before starting a completely new thread, I recommend you first make use of the search function at the CFGF, as there might be a relevant thread from the past. (And, if you haven't used it here, go to it!)

I know there's been some discussion of the stock saddles on the CA guitars on the CFGF, so I hope that you find something of use.

I've considered making such a saddle change (either bone or FWI) on at least one of my carbon guitars (all with Tusq saddles and nuts), but carbon already reproduces the full spectrum of the strings without absorbing a lot of the sound, as happens when producing the characteristic "wood" tone. I guess I've been worried about having something so good at reproducing the sound that the upper end starts to sound brittle.

Taking advantage of the vast experience and knowledge of the large user base here at the AGF, I did do research on whether nuts made much of a difference in an instrument's tone. It didn't appear to from what I read, and making such a change on my instruments would have been time consuming to do and to possibly reverse. I did do a change of bridge pins, and there wasn't a difference that anyone noticed; this I had expected, as it was in line with what most users here found when they did blind recording experiments for others.

The changes I've made which have garnered comments from others have always been related to strings from different manufacturers. Again, this is in keeping with what others have found.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:27 AM

Default CA X Raw

I bought a CA X Raw gtr used from a gtr shop. The acoustic sound was satisfying, but when I plugged it in, the E bass string was so loud and out of balance w/ the rest of the strings. I took it to my luthier and he immediately took it in to work on it. When I got it back, it was better, but still not even. The second time, he took out the saddle and put in a bone saddle. And just like that, the problem was solved. It plays well and I'm glad that I got it. I don't have any other gripes about it now. The unevenness of the string response when plugged in is probably why the previous owner got rid of it. He/she probably thought that it couldn't be remedied. Now it's a winner and if he/she knew just how good it sounds, the person would probably want it back.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:38 AM

Here is a good discussion from the Carbon Guitar forum
http://carbonguitar.com/smf/index.php/topic,96.0.html
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 AM

I removed the electronics from my GXi and noticed an improvement in tone and volume. Removing the controls from the soundboard just inside the soundhole provided the biggest benefit.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber