The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-17-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Composite Acoustics at Namm

Well I'd have to say that after spending 8 hrs walking the aisles at Namm one of the things that stayed in my mind is the sound of CA's guitars. I had played a Rainsong before and although it was a fine guitar the sound didn't have the same dynamics that I found in CA's guitar. What really impressed me was the Cargo.... for such a small guitar it has rich Bass and clean clear highs without any loss in the mids for a great balanced sound. If I hadn't spent all my money allotted for guitars I would really consider owning one of these even though I'm a wood guy......

If you get a chance I really think you should give these guitars a try I don't think you would be disappointed in what you hear or feel.

Dennis

Happy moments!
Difficult moments!
Quiet moments!
Painful moments!
Every moment!
Thankful for something bigger than the internet to express my gratitude for living

"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.”
~Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I and other Cargo owners in this group will certainly agree. Also, this past week, Marty over at the Podium installed a K & K Pure Western Mini system in mine, rather than having the factory under saddle pickup system. Though the factory system sounds good, there were a couple of things I didn't like about it in the Cargo that I tried. One is that the volume control sticks out in the sound hole and I could see it getting accidentally snapped off sooner or later. I think it should have been recessed more. Second, it would seem a hassle (I may be wrong about this though), to have to reach inside through that small sound hole to change the battery in its small pouch velcroed to the inside of the guitar. Finally, the sound, though good overall, has a "splatty" component to it that I have never liked in this type of pickup, where the K & K system is crisp and clear and free of artifacts. On the other hand, the K & K seems to sound its best when run through a K & K preamp (which is external to the guitar) that is designed specifically for these particular pickups. There are always tradeoffs.

Tony
Old 01-17-2009, 08:45 AM

Do you know how difficult to was to install the K&K and what it involved?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I and other Cargo owners in this group will certainly agree. Also, this past week, Marty over at the Podium installed a K & K Pure Western Mini system in mine, rather than having the factory under saddle pickup system. Though the factory system sounds good, there were a couple of things I didn't like about it in the Cargo that I tried. One is that the volume control sticks out in the sound hole and I could see it getting accidentally snapped off sooner or later. I think it should have been recessed more. Second, it would seem a hassle (I may be wrong about this though), to have to reach inside through that small sound hole to change the battery in its small pouch velcroed to the inside of the guitar. Finally, the sound, though good overall, has a "splatty" component to it that I have never liked in this type of pickup, where the K & K system is crisp and clear and free of artifacts. On the other hand, the K & K seems to sound its best when run through a K & K preamp (which is external to the guitar) that is designed specifically for these particular pickups. There are always tradeoffs.

Tony
Hi Tony,

I'd written you a PM awhile back about the K&K + Cargo combo. Have you done any recording of it with the K&K yet? I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Did whoever performed that install consider it a difficult job and do you know if they used strange unavailable tools to do the job or just got a tech with skinny arms to do it? A tutorial on how to install K&K's in offset sound hole guitars would be kind of neat.

Thanks,

Papol
Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Marty is a very skilled guitar repair person. He is the guy you go to when you want it done right. When he sets up a guitar for me, it plays like butter. He has the necessary tools, along with the skills and a seemingly natural talent for handling guitars. He has jigs set up for various tasks, and has the placement of these pickups down to a science. I know that he has spent a fair amount of time experimenting with pickups and pickup placement for the Cargo.

I remember when I was a kid in the 60s, people did a lot of work on their own cars, and there was a sort of ego associated with being able to do that. There were lots of "shade tree" mechanics in the neighborhood. What I remember is that the guys who found a GOOD mechanic, simply brought their car in, got it fixed, and the problem was over with. It always seemed that the "shade tree" mechanics never really had the right tools for the job, and were always spending lots of time "making do" and trying to work around their lack of the kind of skill one develops by doing just that work all the time and having the right tools. I would MUCH rather bring my guitar to a guy like Marty, get it done once - done right, and then spend my time playing music. I can do mechanical stuff as well as the next guy who does this sort of thing on occasion. but I know I would always be wondering if I "got it right". Could I have placed the pickups a bit differently to make it sound better, or did I put in too much glue so it affects the sound, or whatever. Marty experiments, finds what REALLY works, and then that is what he does. That is what you are paying for - the experience he brings to the table that a "weekend warrior" just can't develop with so little time expended, even if his or her natural abilities include this kind of work.

As for recording, a lot is on hold for me right now. My company is shutting down our entire facility at the end of this month. Almost everybody got laid off. Luckily, I am one of only 4 engineers that they are keeping, and we are moving to a much smaller facility that is much closer to my home. But, there is a lot of work and stress involved for everybody. I am continuing to play guitar so I have continuity. I suppose I should record something since that seems to be paramount around here despite what else is going on. I promise I will since it keeps coming up again and again. Then I will post here to ask where to put it so all can here it and we can settle down.

As for the PM, I don't recall seeing it yet. I will check around the site to see if there is a place it shows up here.

Tony
Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the reply, Tony.

I can relate to what you've said about getting these things done "right" and not screwing around with it yourself despite having many skills in the area.

I've not found anyone here who has any experience with a Cargo nor much interest in dealing with one or I might have tried a K&K as well.

Appreciate it and I hope it sounds great,

Papol
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq_below_2 View Post
What really impressed me was the Cargo.... for such a small guitar it has rich Bass and clean clear highs without any loss in the mids for a great balanced sound. If I hadn't spent all my money allotted for guitars I would really consider owning one of these even though I'm a wood guy......

If you get a chance I really think you should give these guitars a try I don't think you would be disappointed in what you hear or feel.
Totally agree. My Cargo is great. My GXi is spectacular!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDavid View Post
Do you know how difficult to was to install the K&K and what it involved?
VERY long and tiny arms/hands, I imagine.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 AM

These are making a lot of "wood men/women" true believers. I know the first time I laid hands on a Rainsong W1000, I was NOT expecting the sound that came out of it. I've heard nothing but great samples of, and opinions of the CA guitars. The fact you could play it outside (but who'd WANT to?? ) up here right now at -2º out...well, just an added bonus IMO!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 AM

Just traded my Little Martin LXM in for a Cargo with electronics earlier this week. What a great little guitar and a nice complement to the CA 7M-CE I got in July of last year. With a sound as big as many full size gutars, it is hard not to like 'em. The guys at Hill Country Music in Fredericksburg TX were great to work with as well. I'm glad this shop is 8 hrs away from where I live or I would probably go broke. They had a nice selection of CA's including 4 or 5 other Cargos.

Another treat was trying out the electronics. They had a Fishman Solo that I would have also come home with if I were a performing musician. The Solo is a solid amp with impressive features and clean, uncolored tone...but that's another thread.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber