The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-21-2018, 12:16 PM

Default "Ideal" Electric Guitar & Amp Combo....

Burns Marvin and Vox AC15/30
Fender Tele and Vibrolux
Strat and Fender Twin
Les Paul and any Marshall

My Favourite would be a Fender 50s Tele and a Fender Twin ( if you can lift it )
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

Last edited by 51 Relic; 05-21-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Isn't that kinda hard to play with those cardboard thingies stuck under the strings ?
WOW! Took your advice, removed them and you're absolutely right....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:20 AM

I adore my Telecaster and Blues Junior (relic). The Telecaster has the following - Seymour Duncans - Vintage Mini Humbucker in the neck; Vintage Hot Stack in the middle (Strat); Vintage Lead Stack in the bridge. Many combos possible with this layout.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
WOW! Took your advice, removed them and you're absolutely right....
and If you send it to me for oh say a 6 -8 month trial, I might come up with some more great tonal suggestions

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-26-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post

I figure you’d appreciate my baby. It’s not as cool as the Carvin, but a bit on the rare side still.

I had that same guitar years ago! I cant believe how much they have increased in value!
Old 05-26-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwguitar View Post
I had that same guitar years ago! I cant believe how much they have increased in value!
I wouldn't be surprised if Allan Holdsworth's passing last year caused some of these rarer items to increase.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-26-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I should preface that I don't consider myself an electric guitar guy, and my typical relationship with them is very cyclical. However, I've realized that owning an electric guitar and amp is something I'll continue to do and enjoy on an on-again/ off-again basis. My question to you folks is what have you found to be YOUR ideal combination of an electric guitar and amp. I'm somewhat biased by having grown up in the age of Fender so that automatically imposes a qualifier on my choices. However, even with that parameter, many possibilities remain. Please note that this is not intended to be a "What should I get?" thread as I've found my ideal combination, a Stratocaster Eric Clapton "Blackie" and a Blues Junior NOS amp. I know that Noiseless pickups aren't everybody's cup of tea, but I enjoy being able to play without the 60 cycle hum in that background. Obviously everybody's ideal combination will be different. Let's make it an arbitrary budget of $3000 but don't feel restrained by that....
For me its a Washburn Parrallaxe PXL20EWH and a Bugera amp! Here is a video of me playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ud5XOusdY
Old 05-26-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwguitar View Post

Can you believe I got it for $300 at a pawn shop? I wasn’t sure if it was valuable, it looked like $50 guitar so I did a quick google search, and saw that one sold at reverb for over $2000. I grabbed it and offered $200 and he almost let it go, but he saw me googling and he did the same. Now he claimed he got that guitar for $600 and that was his bottom price. I walked away. For nearly a month we went back and forth until he folded at $300.

That’s when I took her home. The frets and hardware were heavily oxidized, and I wasn’t sure if that was the original pickup, but when I opened the pickguard, I was relieved that it was the original pickup. A few hours of TLC and she looked almost showroom new if it wasn’t for the paint chips here and there and the pick strikes on the pickguard. This guitar was no case queen that’s for sure!
Old 05-26-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Allan Holdsworth's passing last year caused some of these rarer items to increase.

He was still alive when I got mine, and the value hasn’t changed much since his passing. They go anywhere from $800-$2500 depending on condition. I think I could sell mine for $1500 or so if it wasn’t for those paint chips, it’s otherwise a mint condirion guitar.

These are the only two on reverb right now.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:21 PM

Thumbs up Perfect combo

After much searching, finally stumbled on my ideal although a bit pricey.
Collings I-35LC through a Carr Sportsman. Sounds good with my Strat as well.
The Carr Sportsman is like a Princeton Reverb on steroids.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars