The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Default Moving Guitar Strap Button

I prefer location 5. I think that is typical.

But I see some used guitars with buttons on location 2 or 4. Not sure if that should stop me from considering the guitar. Probably not, but it does bother me.

How big of a deal is it if the button was removed, the hole filled, and the button was moved to location 5?

Would that hurt the resale? Hurt the structure?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:35 PM

Location 5 is the most generally accepted among Martin owners, so if resale value (of a Martin) is a foremost consideration, then location 5 is the preferred option.

On some other guitars, with parallel heels, then location 4 is perfectly acceptable, and indeed preferable.

Locations 1 & 2 are slightly dubious ... possible balance problems, and almost certainly a value destroyer.

From a purely functional point of view, IMO an expertly installed position 3 is the optimum ... this was the preferred location for Doc Watson, and also, in more recent times, for the amazing John Doyle.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Location 5 is the most generally accepted among Martin owners, so if resale value (of a Martin) is a foremost consideration, then location 5 is the preferred option.

On some other guitars, with parallel heels, then location 4 is perfectly acceptable, and indeed preferable.

The used guitar I am thinking about happens to be a Gibson. Is Gibson the kind where location 4 is acceptable and perhaps preferred?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 PM

With dark necks and heels, I do not think it hurts the value at all, on bright clean necks, I think it may be an eyesore if repaired in traditional way, but unlikely to affect resale value IMO.

For a price anything can be made invisible.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

I prefer to do away with the strap button altogether and run the strap to the headstock. That way you can do a whole bunch of great guitar moves like these:

Old 05-19-2018, 07:27 AM

On my home made jobby, I have it in position 2 and can confirm, it sucks. Forces the strap to turn 90 degrees coming over your collarbone. I'd change it but I almost never play standing up anyway.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
I prefer to do away with the strap button altogether and run the strap to the headstock. That way you can do a whole bunch of great guitar moves like these:
Me too, only I don't have any moves
et al
Old 05-20-2018, 02:58 PM

If the end-pin jack's strap attachment is less than confidence-inspiring for you, there's a dirt-simple fix. Here 'tis:

https://ibb.co/nztn88

The button for the other end of the strap is a standard (non-locking) type mounted on the treble side of the neck heel.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeightonBankes View Post
On my home made jobby, I have it in position 2 and can confirm, it sucks. Forces the strap to turn 90 degrees coming over your collarbone. I'd change it but I almost never play standing up anyway.
What if you don't rotate it? Just straight down, so the pin goes through the other side.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:59 PM

Position 5 is definitely the most common location. For me, personally, I don't like my left hand hitting it when I go up to play frets 12-15 (not too often). I have a new Eastman dred and I'm actually going with position 3 for that reason. But then, I'm a luthier and have no problem gluing in the little mahogany block to the insid of the rim to anchor it. That, and I don't foresee ever selling this guitar.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

My choice is position 2.

This enables the guitar to hang perfectly.

When the time comes for these guitars to find other owners, the Straplock pins may be easily unscrewed and replaced with a pearl fretmarker, or if preferred, the end cap may be replaced.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:41 PM

You've already got 5 strap buttons on there already, you don't need another one!

(Well, somebody had to say it...)

I prefer position 5 because it helps with the balance of the guitar. I use flush mount Dunlop Strap-locs at both ends of the body and the strap hugs tight to the heel, so it doesn't have much effect on my access to the upper frets. That's important to me as I play 14 fret guitars and sometimes capo as high as the ninth fret.

"Position 2" always results in a guitar that tips forward, at least for me. I've only owned one dread that had the strap button there, but it didn't take long for me to figure out that it wasn't working for me.

Last edited by Rudy4; 08-12-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:57 AM

For me it's 5...
Old 08-21-2020, 09:04 AM

When I bought my new Martin dreadnought in 1983, I installed a strap button in position #3.

No regrets - it works well there for me, and it's where the button was on my first Martin in the 1960s.

On most guitars, I recommend #5 - #2 for flat heels. It's a matter of conventionality and balance

As a professional guitar mechanic, I routinely install buttons where the owner wants them, including all those pictured.

If your only concern is resale value, then don't add one. . .

Frank Ford
Old 08-22-2020, 06:31 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You've already got 5 strap buttons on there already, you don't need another one!

(Well, somebody had to say it...)
Ya beat me to it!

My preference is position 5; to hell with all the worrying about value.
But I'll try position 3 sometime.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair