The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD (new guitar day take four)

OK, I'm fickle so here is a tiny background, then my NGD pics:

I'm 90% an acoustic player. I used to be 90% electric. I wanted to maybe get back to 80/20 and play electric a little more. I had very specific things I wanted spec-wise in an electric guitar. On paper, a Taylor "solidbody checked all my boxes".

I bought one (#1) and was very impressed. I didn't love the pickguard covered cavity and got very nervous about the non replaceable fragile bridge so sold it off. I found another (same thing) super cheap and bought it (#2) as a project but the seller secretly replaced all the electronics so I returned it.

A year later, I renewed my search for another electric. I really scrutinized what I wanted and came up with the same list of spec requirements and, again the Taylor solidbody. I did more research and decided I wanted a direct-mount this time (avoiding the plastic covered cavity) and I also learned the bridges are now in stock and replaceable (so I got three spares!).

While looking for these again I stumbled upon the color options they used to have and my absolute favorite guitar color is this Gaslamp Black. I also stumbled upon a new old stock unit Brand new with full warranty.

I describe this as probably the truly last Taylor solidbody guitar ever sold as brand new. Well I bought it (#3).

When I got it, I had some problems - you may have ready about that. But, I contacted everyone involved and got FANTASTIC support from Fanatic Guitars in Barcelona, Taylor reps in Europe and Taylor HQ. They took the guitar back, made it brand new again and sent it to me. I just got it (take #4) and I could not be happier with this thing. I can't believe I got a brand new Taylor solidbody and it has everything I want and in my favorite color.

Playing this thing is amazing. It's just so perfect and comfortable and feels like a natural brethren to my Taylor acoustics. And it's featherlight but still has so much sustain. I'm used to a painful shoulder from my Gibson Sonex.

And the deal I got on this was crazy!

Everything about this ended up being great. I love the way it sounds. I love the electronics and pickups. And I love the way it feels and plays and I totally love the way it looks.

Here are a couple pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP8449.jpg (51.8 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP8455.jpg (26.5 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP8469.jpg (44.9 KB, 194 views)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-11-2018, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

The story of my very special truss rod cover can be read about HERE

Here is the TC installed on my latest new guitar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP8450.jpg (30.0 KB, 194 views)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-11-2018, 03:50 PM

Congratulations on what sounds like a very successful conclusion to the journey.. Enjoy it!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Great-looking guitar! Congrats!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:40 PM

Beautiful!!!!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 05-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Boy, that thing is beautiful!
Congratulations and play on!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Fazool. A long journey to get there, but you made it and she's a beauty. Enjoy!
Old 05-13-2018, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Friend. Good things come to those who wait...and wait you did. Now that the destination has been reached enjoy that beautiful new Taylor. And relish in the fact that not everyone on the block/stage has one like yours. Great addition and well deserved!
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 05-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Unfortunately I had trouble bonding with the neck on my Taylor solid (Walnut, gorgeous), but it was one of the best electrics I have ever heard. It had the mini-hums and was so versatile. Hated letting it go. Enjoy yours!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-16-2018, 06:34 PM

Fazool, great to hear that it all worked out. I recall your thread about finding the guitar overseas and how excited you were. Now you've got a lifer. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 05-16-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
OK, I'm fickle so here is a tiny background, then my NGD pics:

I'm 90% an acoustic player. I used to be 90% electric. I wanted to maybe get back to 80/20 and play electric a little more. I had very specific things I wanted spec-wise in an electric guitar. On paper, a Taylor "solidbody checked all my boxes".

I bought one (#1) and was very impressed. I didn't love the pickguard covered cavity and got very nervous about the non replaceable fragile bridge so sold it off. I found another (same thing) super cheap and bought it (#2) as a project but the seller secretly replaced all the electronics so I returned it.

A year later, I renewed my search for another electric. I really scrutinized what I wanted and came up with the same list of spec requirements and, again the Taylor solidbody. I did more research and decided I wanted a direct-mount this time (avoiding the plastic covered cavity) and I also learned the bridges are now in stock and replaceable (so I got three spares!).

While looking for these again I stumbled upon the color options they used to have and my absolute favorite guitar color is this Gaslamp Black. I also stumbled upon a new old stock unit Brand new with full warranty.

I describe this as probably the truly last Taylor solidbody guitar ever sold as brand new. Well I bought it (#3).

When I got it, I had some problems - you may have ready about that. But, I contacted everyone involved and got FANTASTIC support from Fanatic Guitars in Barcelona, Taylor reps in Europe and Taylor HQ. They took the guitar back, made it brand new again and sent it to me. I just got it (take #4) and I could not be happier with this thing. I can't believe I got a brand new Taylor solidbody and it has everything I want and in my favorite color.

Playing this thing is amazing. It's just so perfect and comfortable and feels like a natural brethren to my Taylor acoustics. And it's featherlight but still has so much sustain. I'm used to a painful shoulder from my Gibson Sonex.

And the deal I got on this was crazy!

Everything about this ended up being great. I love the way it sounds. I love the electronics and pickups. And I love the way it feels and plays and I totally love the way it looks.

Here are a couple pics
I miss those Taylor electric guitars. They were fantastic. I can only assume they did not sell well because they went away as fast as they came out

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars