The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2018, 06:16 PM

Default Killing the Quack...

I am in search of a solution to the quack in my Element equipped McPherson Sable. I have used an Anthem/Session DI combination in my Taylor DN7 and have been very satisfied with my tone, but really need a bulletproof guitar for my worship playing every weekend as I end up having to leave the guitar in my hot car afterwards and it drives me nuts to leave my wood guitars in there. I had a string balance issue with my Sable and checked with McPherson about having an Anthem installed in my guitar after the fact and they were willing to do it, but highly recommended against it as they haven’t liked all of the microphonic issues they have seen when installing them in the Sable. They ended up swapping out the Element for another and I’ve used it a couple of times since.
I’ve tried a Zoom AC-3, Aura DI and my current setup is the Sable into a Venue DI XLR out to the board. I played the Sable over the weekend and just can’t handle the quack, spent a lot of time trying to EQ it on the guitar and on the pedal, adjusting the volume on the guitar and gain on the pedal and just can’t get a satisfactory tone. What makes it worse is that we use an IEM system so I have an intimate relationship with my tone and the quack is killing me and really kills my confidence in digging in when playing as I would hate to hear what I am hearing in my monitor mix.
I am really at a loss here and am not sure what I am going to do. I am considering trying a BodyRez along with my PolyTune pedal, as I have to have an onboard or inline tuner as our stage gets pretty loud so clip-ons are useless. Not really what I want to do as I then have to use a 1 spot for power and go through a church owned Radial DI (that I sometimes have to search for when I get there) and into the board. I was really hoping for an all-in-one solution. It’s pretty frustrating as I now have bought and returned the Zoom and Aura and the Venue isn’t cutting it either. If the BodyRez doesn’t help I may end up selling the Sable, as much as I like the guitar. It just doesn’t work for what I specifically bought it for, a stage guitar. Anyone have any suggestions?

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-22-2018, 06:59 PM

Maybe a TC PlayAcoustic?
Old 01-22-2018, 08:11 PM

Yamaha SLG200S. Hybrid guitar should be ok in the heat, decent sounding pickup Yamaha SRT63 with onboard effects.

Or have someone run your guitar home for you, if that is an option.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:23 PM

The ToneDexter preamp creates "maps" using a guitar and a mic of your choice. Once mapped, the guitar becomes a lot less important.

In other words, your Yamaha Silent (or something like it) could sound very much like your McPherson.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:45 PM

Get a carbon fiber built guitar that your going to leave in a hot car - after a while no wood guitar can stand up to that temperature abuse. Consider finding a Mama Bear preamp you can leave in the church, that will give you modeled guitar body style voicing that you can run your Carbon guitar through, once pushed through FOH (Front of Church) it will sound amazing.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Yamaha SLG200S. Hybrid guitar should be ok in the heat, decent sounding pickup Yamaha SRT63 with onboard effects.

Or have someone run your guitar home for you, if that is an option.
My SLG200S is sitting on the stand 10 feet from me as I type this. I would disagree with you on one point-I think it sounds much better than decent! In fact, my sound guys always compliment its tone when I use it. And I do agree, I feel less stressed when I leave it in my car.
As much as I love it for its truly unmatched versatility as a practice tool, performance worthy sound, portability and stability, I still prefer using a guitar with a complete body, for some reason. In fact, I have been thinking that if I was a product manager at Yamaha my first project would be to build a solid body acoustic guitar with the SRT system in it. Sounds like a nice line extension within the A Series. I mean, they make solid body and chambered electrics and a great preamp, so what’s the issue? BTW, my second project would be a “Silent Electric” with the THR modeling and effects built in. Or an SRT pedal? Or a THR 25 combo?

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Hey Matt,

* I have a Body Rez and a Boss AD-2 and I prefer the Boss in tone, features and it has a battery power... I'm up in Jacksonville and would be happy to loan you either to try if you feel like an hour or so drive.

** I rarely use them anymore, and if so just a touch sometimes on my D18 with M80 mag. My other guitars have Cooltubes and my Martin Retro has the F1 Aura Plus so neither of those need any further tone shaping.

Just a nole reaching out to a gator
PM me if you like,

eric
Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

+1 ToneDexter!
Old 01-22-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Hey Matt,

* I have a Body Rez and a Boss AD-2 and I prefer the Boss in tone, features and it has a battery power... I'm up in Jacksonville and would be happy to loan you either to try if you feel like an hour or so drive.

** I rarely use them anymore, and if so just a touch sometimes on my D18 with M80 mag. My other guitars have Cooltubes and my Martin Retro has the F1 Aura Plus so neither of those need any further tone shaping.

Just a nole reaching out to a gator
PM me if you like,

eric
Eric,
Thanks for the info. I watched a few YouTube videos of the AD-2 and like what I heard. I’ll have to check it out.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 01-22-2018, 10:45 PM

Change your pickup to the Fishman Matrix and use the Aura pedal you bought. I have experience no better tone except possibly the Tondexter.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
My SLG200S is sitting on the stand 10 feet from me as I type this. I would disagree with you on one point-I think it sounds much better than decent! In fact, my sound guys always compliment its tone when I use it. And I do agree, I feel less stressed when I leave it in my car.
As much as I love it for its truly unmatched versatility as a practice tool, performance worthy sound, portability and stability, I still prefer using a guitar with a complete body, for some reason. In fact, I have been thinking that if I was a product manager at Yamaha my first project would be to build a solid body acoustic guitar with the SRT system in it. Sounds like a nice line extension within the A Series. I mean, they make solid body and chambered electrics and a great preamp, so what’s the issue? BTW, my second project would be a “Silent Electric” with the THR modeling and effects built in. Or an SRT pedal? Or a THR 25 combo?
I get what you mean about having a solid body guitar playing live. I always felt like I was cheating when I played my SLG100S. I sold mine a few months back.

And that Silent Electric with THR sounds like a winner. I'd buy one.

Best of luck in your situation. The Tonedexter might be the way to go.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgoddard View Post
Maybe a TC PlayAcoustic?
Yep - any of the T.C.Helicon MFX units with BodyRez or just the stand alone BodyRez pedal @
$99.00 is a good bargain .

I've an T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3X it's the real deal on quack killing IMHO with the BodyRez 5 position
selection it gives .
Couple the rest of the stuff in the package and you have leading edge state of the [ guitar / voice ] art
studio FX system with your computer and a powerful solo artist looping station .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 01-23-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post

Yep - any of the T.C.Helicon MFX units with BodyRez or just the stand alone BodyRez pedal @

$99.00 is a good bargain .

I've an T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3X it's the real deal on quack killing IMHO with the BodyRez 5 position

selection it gives .

Couple the rest of the stuff in the package and you have leading edge state of the [ guitar / voice ] art

studio FX system with your computer and a powerful solo artist looping station .

EZ :

HR

I agree with Ramon on the pedal for $99. It’s extremely small, and easy to use. If you were satisfied with the tone that you can get from that pedal, it really is a good simple solution. If you’re looking for something more sophisticated, then I suggest you look at ToneDexter or aura.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Change your pickup to the Fishman Matrix and use the Aura pedal you bought. I have experience no better tone except possibly the Tondexter.
I had an Matrix in my Rainsong and used an Aura Sixteen with that and it was good. Unfortunately I have sold the Aura pedals that I had.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 01-23-2018, 09:22 AM

You are obviously willing to throw dollars at your set up. I have spent years sinking dollars into the very issue you have. I have owned the best. The system at my church wasn’t and still isn’t the best so I learned that why would I need a rack full of gear. So I went simple and landed with a handmade, little known Dazzo pickup. I use a Red Eye as my DI. There is no quack and no need for a mic. It sounds that natural. When I want to use EQ I use the Grace Alix. No Quack, just happy tone.

By all reports, I would recommend the Tonedexter as well. Keep the guitar and pickup and sell the rest. It would pay for it. I would of bought one myself but IMO I feel it isn’t necessary with my Dazzos.

Go one of those ways and your ears and the ears of the congregation will thank you for it.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification