The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-15-2010, 11:31 AM

Default Anyone moved from Garageband...

to something more "professional". Garageband has done fine for recording practices (solo guitar and vocals) and building some 4 or 5 track arrangements (one at a time). But I am wondering what I am missing from not using a more involved program. I am thinking of upgrading to Logic Express as the next step in the Mac world - any comments from folks who have made the jump?

'08 Maingard 000 (12 fret) BRW/Italian Spruce
'08 Bashkin 00 (12 fret) LS Redwood/MadRose
'01 De Jonge OM BRW/Sitka
'08 CA Cargo
'08 Eastman T-185
'09 Collings All Hog C10
Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM

well I started off with an mbox and pro tools with my PC, and when I got my mac I upgraded to a digi002 with pro tools. I played around with garageband and it does the job just fine in terms of recording and playback, but what the so called 'professional' software does is it gives you more editing power. It allows for things like separating and moving audio samples around, pitch correction, tempo correction (if someone is not hanging on the click track) stuff like that. I'm pretty sure the amount of plug-ins available becomes more abundant for the logic, pro tools, DP users also.

not sure what your setup looks like, but I think hardware makes a bigger difference than software. Look into things like an actual interface (again not sure if you are already using one or if you're using the internal mic that mac's have) and studio mics. Those things will make a big difference in recording quality.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtoTjioZD2M I have this plug-in. It's super powerful, and I'm pretty sure you can't use stuff like this with garageband (although I could be wrong)

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48

Last edited by makikogi; 02-15-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
to something more "professional". Garageband has done fine for recording practices (solo guitar and vocals) and building some 4 or 5 track arrangements (one at a time). But I am wondering what I am missing from not using a more involved program. I am thinking of upgrading to Logic Express as the next step in the Mac world - any comments from folks who have made the jump?
Hi Scott…
I don't see Logic Express as the next step because you use a Mac (I've used Macs since 1988). I prefer a much more simple and direct piece of software under my fingertips.

Most recording I do is straightforward, simple, and easy to edit. I don't need the bells/whistles higher end software provides.

To answer your questions a bit more directly:
I was already using something more sophisticated before Garage Band came out...tried Garage Band twice and erased it from my hard drive. I've tried and erased every upgrade since (4 in all). It is point-n-shoot software, not professional.

I use MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) software and have for more than 10 years now. I've played with ProTools and with Audacity, and they all basically have the same components for basic recorded.

Each has a learning curve, the ability to create templates for creating new tracks, good tools for editing tracks, and a good handful of decent effects.

All I've played with are more direct and easier to use in the long run than Garage Band. ProTools was the most involved and had the most proprietary parts (which all cost more buckaroos), whereas Audacity, CubaseLE, and Mark of the Unicorn's Audio Desk all have pro level ability without extra expenses.

Find a good one, learn it well, and use it. You will be happy...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

I've been using Garageband on a mac for a few years now and have never found a compelling need to upgrade to something else. Garageband has added quite a few features in recent years (for example, it now does pitch and tempo correction). Our little acoustic string trio uses it for recording and we will have anywhere from 15 - 25 tracks per song. It seems to work fine for that. I haven't used Logic or any of the others yet so I can't really comment on those. I'm sure they have some bells and whistles that are missing in Garageband, but I've been really please with Garageband.

My suggestion would be to make sure there are significant new features you want before going through the time and expense of upgrading to a new recording solution.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM

Hi,

I use Logic Express after many years of working with various versions of Cubase.

I think Garage Band does a great job simplifying the recording process. Logic Express lets you work at a beginner level or much more advanced, depending on how much time and energy you want to dedicate to it.

I say upgrade to Logic Express. I think it can make you a better "producer" or "engineer" if you want to be.

Let us know what you decide.

-Mike
Old 02-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the replies so far - varied but useful. Just to answer the question about my setup. I am running microphones (either a Rode NT1a or NT5 or both) into my interface (a lexicon lambda, selected in part due to Larry's review) and then into garageband. I am monitoring using AKG 702 headphones connected either to my macbook pro or to the interface. For mixing purposes, I'm running the garageband output (or Itunes conversion) through my home theater system (pioneer elite receiver and definitive technology tower speakers) in the bedroom/den that I'm using as my studio. I know the mixing setup isn't ideal but its the best I have for now. Any comments or recommendations will be appreciated. I know I need to think about room treatments at some point but that will have to be blessed by my wife who is have a little bit of a hard time adjusting to the recording gear in our den/TV room.

'08 CA Cargo
'08 Eastman T-185
'09 Collings All Hog C10
Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Thanks for the replies so far - varied but useful. ...I know I need to think about room treatments at some point but that will have to be blessed by my wife who is have a little bit of a hard time adjusting to the recording gear in our den/TV room.
Hi Scott…
The Lambda is a great rig. Doesn't it come with CubaseLE? I prefer that to Garage Band because of the work-flow capability of it.

An aside:
I owned and operated a small production studio for 8 years locally, and we recorded most of the local acoustic musicians.

I could never have worked easily nor quickly enough with garage band with many musicians who move and create quickly.

When one is working with musicians who are in the middle of a creative 'jag' they need a tech who is working at (or ahead) of their speed. They have ideas ''Now'' and delays kill creativity...

I may be jaded...
I/we had to be able to generate more tracks, duplicate tracks, etc. on the fly, and edit, punch-in-out for overdubs, experiment, save and open new projects and move from one task to the other instantly without a several minute break in action. After doing that for 8 years, Garage Band was a tremendous leap backwards for me...

This is the main drawback to Garage Band for me...it's got the right parts, and good capabilities, but it doesn't move quickly when doing anything beyond the basic track. It is a nice program...

Have you tried Audacity? It's is another non-linear digital program (free) which is well supported.

Just exploring with you...you did ask if there are more professional programs, and yes there are.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-16-2010, 05:27 PM

Thanks Larry,
I appreciate your inputs and your advice - you always seem to give good, practical recommendations with good rationale for your opinions. I am more than satisfied with the Lambda and it does come with Cubase LE 4 but I haven't tried it yet. Sounds like that might be the next step to experiment with.

'08 CA Cargo
'08 Eastman T-185
'09 Collings All Hog C10
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 PM

I use Logic Express 8, it's very easy to use and makes great recordings. The new version has more features at a great price.

Check out my myspace link below, all songs recorded on Logic Express through a Motu 8pre firewire interface into a imac.

Jeff

Taylor 312 CE (Nashville Tuning)
Martin D-35
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi Hollow
Fender USA Stratocaster
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Fender "72" Telecaster Deluxe
Mesa Boogie, Fender,& Carvin Amps

http://www.myspace.com/jeffreiner
http://www.myspace.com/endcountyroad

Last edited by EL JEEFE; 02-16-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far - varied but useful. Just to answer the question about my setup. I am running microphones (either a Rode NT1a or NT5 or both) into my interface (a lexicon lambda, selected in part due to Larry's review) and then into garageband. I am monitoring using AKG 702 headphones connected either to my macbook pro or to the interface. For mixing purposes, I'm running the garageband output (or Itunes conversion) through my home theater system (pioneer elite receiver and definitive technology tower speakers) in the bedroom/den that I'm using as my studio. I know the mixing setup isn't ideal but its the best I have for now. Any comments or recommendations will be appreciated. I know I need to think about room treatments at some point but that will have to be blessed by my wife who is have a little bit of a hard time adjusting to the recording gear in our den/TV room.
I would suggest nearfield monitors and room treatment as the next upgrades to accomplish. The DAW software used has little relevance, provided it provides the functions needed, decent plugins are available and you know how to use it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber