The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I like them. Are they cheaper? More? Email me a club price. Put me in not likely but ya never know.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Humanist

Based on the 22-3/4" scale of these puppies, I would also recommend an upgrade from the standard CA tuners (whatever they use) to the Gotoh 510 21:1 ratio tuners. A much better choice for accurate tuning, especially with the lower tension of the super-short scale guitar....
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Add me to the list of interested parties. I would just need to know sepcifics & price.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Based on the 22-3/4" scale of these puppies, I would also recommend an upgrade from the standard CA tuners (whatever they use) to the Gotoh 510 21:1 ratio tuners. A much better choice for accurate tuning, especially with the lower tension of the super-short scale guitar....
Good suggestion but that may add significantly to the price over the standard tuners! It would be well worth it for some but others may back away from buying because of added cost.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 AM

I might be up for a cargo if it plays good , I'll guess I will have to run to LA to see and play one.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have been following both the OX thread and this one and I would be interesting in the Cargo if the concerns that Larry expressed about specs and tuners could be addressed.

Jayne
Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have been following both the OX thread and this one and I would be interesting in the Cargo if the concerns that Larry expressed about specs and tuners could be addressed.

Jayne
If an AGF-model were created/ordered I'm sure various tuners could be installed by CA.

I doubt that they will want to guarantee the set-up specs I have detailed, since they were unable to do this for me directly.

I *will* buy one if they do agree to meet the specs, and have flexibility with the original installation of tuners.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
If an AGF-model were created/ordered I'm sure various tuners could be installed by CA.

I doubt that they will want to guarantee the set-up specs I have detailed, since they were unable to do this for me directly.

I *will* buy one if they do agree to meet the specs, and have flexibility with the original installation of tuners.
Wow, thanks Larry.... that makes total sense now. I have played a few of them and they never seemed quite "right" in my hands. The shop owner offered to lower the saddle and do a setup, to which I replied, "If they can't ship the thing right from the factory, why in the hell would I want to own it?" I wondered about the saddle height after making the adjustments and thought maybe it was a fluke on the ones I've played, but I guess not. The other 2 CA's I own are excellent guitars, and I have not had a single issue with them. I owned Rainsongs prior and was always futzing with them trying to get them to play right and feel right, and never had much luck. The CA's have been pretty much perfect out of the box.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 01-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Wow, thanks Larry.... that makes total sense now. I have played a few of them and they never seemed quite "right" in my hands. The shop owner offered to lower the saddle and do a setup, to which I replied, "If they can't ship the thing right from the factory, why in the hell would I want to own it?" I wondered about the saddle height after making the adjustments and thought maybe it was a fluke on the ones I've played, but I guess not. The other 2 CA's I own are excellent guitars, and I have not had a single issue with them. I owned Rainsongs prior and was always futzing with them trying to get them to play right and feel right, and never had much luck. The CA's have been pretty much perfect out of the box.
It's not that they can't get to 3/32" and 2/32" for the set-up, because they can...it's just that in doing so, there is almost no saddle showing over the bridge with their standard build-specs/tolerances on the Cargo. This translates to not much string-angle for the strings coming out of the bridge-pin holes and crossing the saddle. This means that at a standard set-up (3 & 2/32") one can grab most (if not all) of the strings and slide them across the saddle...very little download on the saddle from the strings.

It would be (IMO) to CA's benefit to address this, even if it not an inexpensive "fix" in creating new molds for this model.

Again, JMHO...

...and again, I think it is a terrific concept and a terrific guitar, and I *really* want to buy/own one.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:01 PM

Larry,

I've addressed it with CA and received the following answer:

"Karl,

Due to the short scale and thus low string tension on the Cargo we sent the string height toward 7/64 and 5/64. There are no structural issues it is simply a matter of physics and the vibration frequency of the strings which is common on all short scale (i.e.; travel) guitars. The less overall tension the more string movement you get. More string movement allows for the increased possibility of a buzz so to compensate we add 1/64" of height to the action. Adding medium gage strings (13's) can help with the tension and allow you to lower the action a bit."

Other than that, we are so far from getting the 15 people together that I have decided to end my efforts. I'll go out and just buy one .

Karl
Old 01-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The shop owner offered to lower the saddle and do a setup, to which I replied, "If they can't ship the thing right from the factory, why in the hell would I want to own it?"
This is a lame attitude about any guitar that is not custom built to your specs.

What is "right from the factory" (strictly regarding setup/action) can be entirely different for 2 (or more) players.

Too high for a dillitante fingerpicking noodler newbie might be just right for a hard pickin' bluegrasser.

Too low for a singer strummer folkie might be just right for a great fingerstylist.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:34 PM

I played a Cargo RAW model today. Liked it so much they're bringing it to me tomorrow
Old 01-16-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
This is a lame attitude about any guitar that is not custom built to your specs.

What is "right from the factory" (strictly regarding setup/action) can be entirely different for 2 (or more) players.

Too high for a dillitante fingerpicking noodler newbie might be just right for a hard pickin' bluegrasser.

Too low for a singer strummer folkie might be just right for a great fingerstylist.

Well put Dave.

In the last eight months of 09' I sold around fifty Cargos (which I think may be more than any other dealer) and the feedback has been nothing but positive. The setup on these travel guitars is usually excellent.

I'm not so sure CA has anything to address with these guitars but I do know they monitor all the forums and have been noting complaints from you guys. Even the really picky ones.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:21 PM

I've only played one Cargo (mine), but in my experience Larry's complaint about the saddle height required to get low action is spot-on.

Cargos are playable out of the box, and I had a multi-month-long honeymoon with mine before I even considered lowering the action.

It was only during the winter, when I was playing it everyday, that I decided to improve the playability. For most people using it as a travel guitar, it's probably a non-issue.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 AM

At the price point of the Cargo it's a bargain - It plays well and has good tone - It's not intended to be the ultimate players guitar - It works well on a fishing boat

If you want a custom guitar go to a custom shop you'll get better value for your money - If you want a terrific price point travel guitar you can't beat a Cargo

Last edited by Dulope; 01-30-2010 at 11:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber