The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-13-2008, 07:59 AM

Default CA Cargo String Change -- Aargh, then Aha!

Two days ago I changed strings on the Cargo for the first time, after a month's playing. I didn't have any Elixir P-B Light Nano's in my stash (the strings it comes with), so I put on some D'Addario EXP Phos Bronze Lights.

It was SO bad (tinny, thin, buzzy) I rummaged through the stash, got rid of the D'Addarios and put on some John Pearse Custom Light Silk-wound Phos Bronze, and to my ears, they are incredible! They completely take away the tinny, thin tone that even the Elixirs had, and provide a nice mellow resonance.

Anyone else have ay Cargo string experiences we could all learn from?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:26 AM
some guy from NY

not cargo experience but I did discover a remarkable difference between strings - more so than with my wooden guitars. Dadarrio PBs that I use on my wooden guitars are absolutely awful on my jumbo rainsong. 80/20s are sweet sweet sweet on the same guitar.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Humanist

With a 22.75" scale, I would recommend trying medium gauge strings on the Cargo...and this comes from direct hands-on experience...not speculation.

Data point: The Larrivée Parlor at 24" comes standard with mediums, yet the much shorter scaled Cargo is factory-equiped with lights. What's up with that?
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
With a 22.75" scale, I would recommend trying medium gauge strings on the Cargo...and this comes from direct hands-on experience...not speculation.

Data point: The Larrivée Parlor at 24" comes standard with mediums, yet the much shorter scaled Cargo is factory-equiped with lights. What's up with that?
I can only assume it's because the Larrivee and Cargo are different beasts altogether and the Cargo allows for it just fine, for whatever reason. As for my own experience with my Cargo, I replaced the Elixir PB nano lights with mediums at first string change and apart from obviously easier string bends with the lights (which I prefer), I personally find no discernable difference. I like the sound of the Elixirs, so I'll be going back to the lights real soon.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:06 AM

I went from the elixir PB lights to 80/20 lights and like the (very) slightly brighter sound they give.

'08 Maingard 000 (12 fret) BRW/Italian Spruce
'08 Bashkin 00 (12 fret) LS Redwood/MadRose
'01 De Jonge OM BRW/Sitka
'08 CA Cargo
'08 Eastman T-185
'09 Collings All Hog C10
Old 09-13-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post

see i did it diff. i went to a lighter[they come with 12,s] i put 11s on . i think they sound even better. its your opinion.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post
see i did it diff. i went to a lighter[they come with 12,s] i put 11s on . i think they sound even better. its your opinion.
Not too "slinky"? I like super lights on my Strat, but never on an acoustic. Maybe the Cargo is one to try it on. Hmmm.....
Old 09-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Humanist

The issue for me is floppy strings...especially in using certain fingerstyle/classical techniques like rest-strokes...

I guess others don't have this as something to be concerned about.

To each their own, of course...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 09-13-2008, 03:21 PM

I'm really enjoying Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze 12-54 on my 5iM-CE. They may end up being my goto strings, but I'm having fun trying a bunch of different brands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber