The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-14-2021, 12:04 PM

Default Giving Up On Music As A Profession.

I don't quite know if this is the place to post this but it seems like a good portion of forumers here can relate to how I feel and I really want to talk to some of you.. please be kind

For the past 12 years, music has been my profession. I started out mostly teaching and eventually transitioned to live performances / busking for my main source of income. I've been learning music since 12 and poured so much of my lifeblood into this endeavour foolishly believing that just making good music is good enough. Prior to this, I've served in the military, held corporate positions and other miscellany that made me miserable and music always felt like a calling in life. The path hasn't been smooth in the least (which I'm sure some of you guys know) but nothing comes close to what working-class musicians have faced in the last year due to COVID-19.

It's been 10+ months without an income for me and my landlord (a close friend of mine) has been gracious enough to waive the last 6 months of rental and I'm beyond thankful! Since then, I've tried uploading weekly recordings to YouTube, selling tracks on Bandcamp, picking up online music commissions whenever something is available but it's simply just not financially viable. Musicians these days are expected to know video editing, marketing, search engine optimisation, audio mixing, social media, basically whoring yourself to the fullest except just making music and it's so draining just trying to keep up on every front. The only music companies in my country hiring now are classical conglomerates like Yamaha with minimum requirements of Grade 8 in ABRSM instrumental certifications which I do not have.

I truly hate how music is expected to be a free commodity these days when it's so costly (financially, timewise, physically and emotionally) to make. Music professionals have to basically rely on charity through Patreon and the like just to keep themselves from starving. Recently, my local arts council announced that no live performances will be allowed anytime soon and all busking activities from here on out will be extremely heavily regulated and restricted to individuals they hand-pick. This basically spells the end and collapse of the small local music industry.

Today may have been the breaking point, I cried and told my wife that this may be the end of this career. I dread the thought of going to an office environment with an entry-level position. I know it's pride I may have to put aside for the sake of survival but it's been so so difficult and so so painful. I don't quite know why I'm ranting here but some of you may be facing the same pain right now and it may be good to know we are not alone in this. Thanks to whoever is still reading at this point and may life be kind to you.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

My condolences for what you are going through.

I am not a professional performer so can't give my own experience but I can give you a story that will help.

Yes, maybe music is your calling and your passion and maybe right now its not a source of income. Why is this the end of your career? Are you going to forget how to perform next year if things open up? No. You can always go back to music. Do something to tide you over TEMPORARILY. That doesn't have to be "the end" unless you want it to be.

A (wife's) relative is in the industry. She complains about not having any money and using up their savings. But she refuses to go get a job to give her some income in the meantime. So, the complaining about financial hardship rings pretty hollow. I can empathize about not doing what she should be doing temporarily, but her complaining about not having money while refusing to work doesn't evoke any sympathy from me.

Now a feel good story:

I met a guy 34 years ago. We are good work friends now. He is a gifted performer and has won numerous awards including year-after-year winning local accolades as the best singer/band/musician in town....EVERY year.

But he can't make a living with music and that's a shame.

So he took up a career and has a full time day job. Thats what he does to make a living and he runs a successful and very popular band that performs at all the local events and shows 4-8 times per month.

So, in his case, his lifelong passion and true calling is music and he is living that life. He didn't give one up to have the other. He learned how to do BOTH. And he is happy.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-14-2021, 12:18 PM
Guest 33123

Sometimes life gets in the way of our hopes and dreams. That doesn't mean the music has to die with them. Consider going back to teaching or if a desk job is the only option continue to make music a part of your life. Tough challenges have a way of resolving over time. Though it may feel like this is the end it is not.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Musicians these days are expected to know video editing, marketing, search engine optimisation, audio mixing, social media, basically whoring yourself to the fullest except just making music and it's so draining just trying to keep up on every front.
I was a professional juggler years ago but all these other requirements are why I don't do it full time. I liked juggling and performing but hated all that other stuff. So now I just do the casual gig, join groups, volunteer, whatever. I do the same thing with music and keep it all enjoyable.

On the other hand, I like my day job so that helps...
Old 01-14-2021, 12:24 PM

I am in nothing short of awe when I think of anyone who tries to pursue it even as a small percentage of their "nut" (minimum monthly income for food/housing) as we say in the USA. I would never have had the guts. More than once in my younger days (1980's) I walked away from bands when opportunities to play 2 days a week in the same club (Practically a career in my mind at the time!) started to materialize. I knew I would never be brave enough to go beyond that level of commitment.

I always think of some of my favorite artists like Albert King having to drive a bulldozer, or all the country blues guys I loved who had to literally relearn to play the guitar, and learn their own songs from records to capitalize on the "folk boom".

Who knows. There could be a revival of live, intimate music again. I pray there will be. I've stealthily gone to a couple in house shows, where homeowners bring in a musician, in the mid 2010s of someone who used to post here quite a bit. I could see that becoming a thing again.

Best of luck.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:37 PM
Musical minimalist

Sorry to hear you are struggling. Seems to be a lot of that going around.

If you think of it as simply being at one of life's crossroads - take a few days and take the pressure off yourself and try to clear your mind, maybe get out in the wilderness somewhere and you may just get some needed clarity on what to do next.

I've been at that place a few times in my life, and I think that another helpful tool is to be open to "coincidences" that may happen around you. I've had two major instances in my life that have led me to where I am that were quite shocking at the time. Now, looking back, it seems like a well determined plan.

Keep your eyes open and your chin up - surround yourself with supportive people and I just bet you'll find your way.

Best of luck.

Last edited by fitness1; 01-14-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Since I'm just a hobby guitar player, maybe this doesn't mean much...

There's lots of different kinds of rent-paying jobs around here (I don't
know where you live) and the world won't always be locked down...

-Mike
Old 01-14-2021, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

So sorry to hear of your struggle and you're right, there are unfair expectations for musicians. I've played out locally over the years but always had a day job so perhaps my understanding isn't as deep. However, I agree with others who are supportive and reinforce that there is a future in which live music is again a viable way to pay the bills. May you be blessed with a job in the interim that is also enjoyable and continue to play your music waiting for the gigs to return.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I don't quite know if this is the place to post this but it seems like a good portion of forumers here can relate to how I feel and I really want to talk to some of you.. please be kind

.... The only music companies in my country hiring now are classical conglomerates like Yamaha with minimum requirements of Grade 8 in ABRSM instrumental certifications which I do not have.

I truly hate how music is expected to be a free commodity these days when it's so costly (financially, timewise, physically and emotionally) to make. ...

Today may have been the breaking point....
I'm very sorry that you are feeling so low at the moment. And there's nothing I can say that will make things better for you, so I'm just here to toss out ideas - maybe something I say will spark an idea that will be of help.

I don't know how old you are, and I don't know how much that matters, but I think you just need to come up with a Plan B, Plan C...etc. and work towards it.

The pandemic will end. Things will get back to some sort of 'normal'. People want/need to get out and be entertained/inspired by live music. The arts, except for a fortunate few, are an area that never was financially stable. Most artists have a day job. That day job doesn't have to be some soul-destroying junior office position, it just has be something that makes an income.

You can work part-time or 3/4 time, which leaves you with time to keep up with your music.

You can also, in the interim, work towards your ABRSM Grade 8. Why not? You don't have to test every year, you just have to pass the Grade 8 requirements. If it opens doors for you, it remains an option.

You can also look for a niche position in your neck of the woods. Teaching young children? Teaching retired seniors? Teaching inmates? Teaching youth in rehab?

There are many people who feel as you do, and realize they can't fit their goal exactly as they would like. It didn't quite work out for me either. I think I'm on Plan W.... And FWIW, I play in a community orchestra. That helps get me my 'music fix'. Hopefully, sooner rather than later, we'll actually be able to practice and perform again.

My younger son is working a job he doesn't especially like, because he likes the perks it offers. He makes a decent salary and has the flexibility to pursue his main interest - even if it's not at the level he would like.

I have an acquaintance who works as a research scientist, but has his own rock band. They're quite good. They play when they can.

And for goodness sake...don't get sucked into the 'reality of the cyberworld'. It's certainly become an important part of our life, but it shouldn't be our entire life. The internet is a tool. Use it, but don't think you have to rely on it, because you don't.

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!
Old 01-14-2021, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

It seems like there should be some other possibilities between being a music professional and "an office environment with an entry-level position." Look at it this way, if you do have relegate music to a hobby (like most of us do), at least you will have had the opportunity to enjoy your passion for 12 years. I spent 30+ years as a Special Education and would have preferred to do other things, but as someone previously said, sometimes life gets in the way....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-14-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
It seems like there should be some other possibilities between being a music professional and "an office environment with an entry-level position." Look at it this way, if you do have relegate music to a hobby (like most of us do), at least you will have had the opportunity to enjoy your passion for 12 years. I spent 30+ years as a Special Education and would have preferred to do other things, but as someone previously said, sometimes life gets in the way....
Personally these days I subscribe to this philosophy

Old 01-14-2021, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Making a living as an artist of any kind is difficult in the best of times and it's anything but the best of times now. It's a cautionary tale. I really wanted to make a living playing music in my youth but even back then I could see it would most likely be a life of struggle and disappointment and I wanted other things like a family with the best options for providing for that life so I put music on hold.

Now as we near retirement we're slowing working back into playing music and we meet so many musicians in your position. Only you can make the decision as to whether to give it up. Maybe just take a break and look for other work to supplement? Most of the full-time musicians I know have at least some other work to make of the difference.

My daughter is a writer in NYC. She's got three part-time jobs. Well, she did back before the pandemic.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:20 PM

When you are depressed and stressed, it is easy to see things as purely black or white and no shades of gray. And easier still to be pessimistic. Earning a living as a musician has always been a challenge, but more so now. Do whatever you must to survive financially but keep an open mind. And don't give up the therapy of playing just because you are not getting paid at the moment. Picking up a guitar has long been a positive mood changer for me.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:27 PM

My advice is to suck it up, get that entry level job, work your tail off, and move up the ladder to a more stable financial life. The guy who is CEO of Jack in the Box started out as a grunt kid mopping floors in one of the hamburger stands. He's living a LOT better these days!

Let music be your outlet for FUN. Play local Open Mics (when they reopen), meet new folks who share your passion, and see what opens up on the music side of things. Adele was singing at a local Open Mic in London when she was discovered.

The most important thing is to go into a new work situation with the attitude that you are going to do the best job you can and reap the rewards.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-15-2021 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 01-14-2021, 02:36 PM

I'm truly sorry you find yourself in this situation. Unfortunately, you have a great deal of company as these uncertain times have taken a toll on millions.
My advice is to take whatever job will pay the bills until you are able to return to doing what you love. Many of us have faced similar situations in our lifetimes and have had to make any and every adjustment in order to survive.
You do what you have to do, and doing nothing is never an option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic