The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I don't angle the pins. With unslotted pins and a slotted bridge, if the holes and pins are the right size, you shouldn't have a problem (IME). And, changing the unslotted pin so it has to face a specific direction kind of takes away one of its advantages, i.e., it can go in any way.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:32 PM

Seems totally unneccessary. Put the ball in just to the bottom of the bridge plate, hold the string firmly while pushing whatever bevelled or unbevelled pin you have past the ball while pulling up firmly on the string. That's all there is to it.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:44 PM

Yes. I also cut the pins off as short as practical. Been doing it for decades. I do not like weight in the bridge assembly.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:26 AM

First I have heard if putting an angle on the bridge pin. Interesting theory. I do put a bend in the string but that is only to help the ball set against the bridge plate correctly.

The length of the string to wrap around the post is the length from one post to the next. I do this on the bass E, A, and D strings. I then use the length of one and a half post for my G, B, and high E strings.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-16-2021, 08:51 AM

+1 on the angled tip for the bridge pins. I've found even just a bit of an angle across the slot helps the bridge pin slide past the ball (or the ball slide past the tip of the pin if you prefer) when installing new strings.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:16 AM

There are a few things in the vid that I do that I have picked up in 50 years, such as loosen the strings and cut them all in the middle. I've done that since I saw a guitar tech do it 45 years ago, and he looked to be in a hurry. I have never tried to modify or sand or file bridge pins, but it's an interesting concept. Lately I have been experimenting with bridge pins. Brass, stainless, bone, ebony, rosewood. I am liking the metal bridge pins more and more. They seem to brighten my sound and increase my sustain and they look nice. But, bridge pins can be a rabbit hole, so I just stand on the edge and look in.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I don't. Seems like a solution looking for a problem and I've not had any problems with the pins just the way they are. I don't find re-stringing my guitar a particularly complicated procedure.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-16-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
No I don't do that. I've only experienced ball-ends going weird 2-3 times in 50 years.
Yeah, for a BALL end -- round in two dimensions -- to get stuck is kind of like balancing a mattress on a bottle of wine.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:34 PM

Here's what you want to avoid:

Here's what you want to achieve:

Old 01-16-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I don't, no. But I do put a curve in the string to situate the ball in front of rather than below the pin. Nevertheless, I tension test by gently pulling on the string as I insert the pin to ensure that the ball ends up where I want.
I bend the end of the string as well. Been doing it for over 40 years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion