The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-15-2021, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default mouse that's easy on thumb

A number of years ago I had a trigger finger (thumb) and I find that using a mouse can aggravate it some. I use Logic recording software for recording and scoring a lot, so I need to be able to be accurate. I have found track pads to not be as accurate as mice.
I'm on a mac and I much prefer a wired mouse. In addition to a regular mouse I have a vertical mouse that seems harder on my thumb.

Suggestions appreciated and thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 01-15-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:37 PM

Does your mouse have recessed sides like this?

That shape works best for me, with the thumb on one side, ring-little on the other, and index- middle for clicking.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:17 PM

Hi Karen, You mentioned you have used a vertical mouse before and it still bothered you. Just want to confirm you're talking about a mouse like this?

Source: Amazon.ca
Old 01-15-2021, 03:23 PM

I've been using one of these rollerball mouses from Logitech since I had injections for trigger finger about five years ago. It's perfect for me:

Old 01-15-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
A number of years ago I had a trigger finger (thumb) and I find that using a mouse can aggravate it some. I use Logic recording software for recording and scoring a lot, so I need to be able to be accurate. I have found track pads to not be as accurate as mice.
I'm on a mac and I much prefer a wired mouse. In addition to a regular mouse I have a vertical mouse that seems harder on my thumb.

Suggestions appreciated and thanks.
Is there a reason you prefer a wired mouse? The reason I'm asking is we stopped using wired mice long ago, but for some reason I thought I did better playing games with a wired mouse. Wife says I'm nuts.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Norman, I have a mouse that has recessed sides. I see that if I move my hand back a little bit, my thumb actually sits in the recessed area. It's a Logitech. I have to be more careful when I use it. When I'm in the middle of working, I just tend to grab it and not think about where my thumb is.

Yes, Drew, that's the what I'm talking about. I have an Anker. It's too wide for my hand so my thumb has to be sit too far out.

BSman, don't you have to use your thumb to roll the ball? I don't know if my thumb would enjoy that. How accurate is it? Does the cursor tend to move really fast with the ball movement?

Gibpicker--Maybe your wired mouse was more responsive. Who knows. I prefer not to have wireless anything in my home.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-16-2021, 07:28 AM

For context, I'm an IT professional with a lot of age and use issues showing up.

I repeat buying the Logitech MX Anywhere that I admit are expensive. I have an external track pad that can give some relief.

One more thing I do is use my Macs more. The slide on their mouse and far superior trackpads help with pain. I use keyboard commands more than many people.

This is not really the mouse, but I am mindful of activity. I respond to the Apple Watch and get away from my desk once per hour. I've added some actual yoga to the physical activity I do. I do my sports and trail building with care to keep reasonable impact activities going.

I also use my phone more. I moved to the larger flagship phones and use some very powerful apps with the phone. Use Excel on the phone more than I'd ever have thought.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Thanks imwjl for your thoughts.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:45 AM

I use a Logitech M705 mouse that has a deep sculpted groove on the left. The thumb fits into it very naturally.

But it is wireless. I don't know your reasons for not having anything wireless in the house, but it is much easier to use than a wired mouse and the batteries last a very long time.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
BSman, don't you have to use your thumb to roll the ball? I don't know if my thumb would enjoy that. How accurate is it? Does the cursor tend to move really fast with the ball movement?
I do have to use my thumb, but the position of the ball and its small size help minimize that. Of course, the speed of cursor movement is more dependent on the settings and can be customized for your requirements.

Since my trigger finger were the "bird" finger (still have that some mornings), I wasn't/aren't as concerned about my thumb. The model I have only costs about $30, so it's not a big-risk if you want to try it.

That said, I would agree that a trackpad may be a better option for you. I'm not terribly fond of them, but I have one on my Lenovo X1 Carbon and on the rare occasions I use it without wireless full-size keyboard and the roller mouse, I find it's not difficult to acclimate myself to, and it doesn't require the use of my thumb at all - just my index finger.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:56 PM

I had some thumb issues at one point and used one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01936N73I...ogi&th=1&psc=1

It looks a little odd and did take some time to get used to but I love it now.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:41 PM

I use Cubase for recording and lots of graphic software for my art. I also like and need precision. I could not live without my Wacom tablet/pen. To be able to just touch/activate something with the tip, be it a icon button, or grabbing a range of music without pressing ANY buttons...well for me there is no comparison to any mouse.

It is a pen. I can use it, twirl it in my fingers as I thinking, hold it in my mouth as I am thinking, use it in my right hand while using my left on the keyboard - and on and on.

Again, I can touch a track of music where I want, lightly drag to the right, lift up the pen and voila, I have that range. Then lightly tap an icon to do something. NO buttons pressed. Two taps with the tip of the pen.

The really advanced tablets are a bit expensive, but for general use (ease of use) the entry tablets are quite sufficient and not really expensive.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-19-2021, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Thanks fumei. I haven't considered using tablet/pen. I haven't used them for anything. Is there anything special about the Wacom brand? I use Logic on a Mac computer. I don't want to be looking at a tablet screen to do the work. I've never seen a tablet/pen in operation. I know nothing about them. I will look online too to understand this.

Last edited by KarenB; 01-19-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks fumei. I haven't considered using tablet/pen. I haven't used them for anything. Is there anything special about the Wacom brand? I use Logic on a Mac computer. I don't want to be looking at a tablet screen to do the work. I've never seen a tablet/pen in operation. I know nothing about them. I will look online too to understand this.
If you use a Mac, you can pick up one of Apple's external track pad. I rarely use it but did it more when the repetitive use and age issues were more of a problem.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Fumei, after doing some research, I now understand that there's a difference between a pen display and a pen tablet. I'd be looking for a pen tablet.

Thanks for your track pad suggestion, imwjl. Unfortunately it's wireless.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic