The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-13-2021, 01:21 PM

Default X7: ghs silk and bronze...so close but what next to make it sound warmer?

Hey. I have an emerald x7 v2 (14 fret version). Oh so comfy to play. I've been experimenting with strings and trying to get as warm a sound as possible without losing playability. I put some GHS Silk and Bronze on there (12s). Nice sound and great playability but still want some more warmth...prefer as warm as possible without going up to mediums. Any recommendations?

I prefer a bit of a scooped sound as to make sure my vocals get in there good, dont want mid heavy.

Should I go retros 11s, TI Plectrum 11s, Newtone Double Wound, Newtone Heritage or completely missing the mark and should try something else as to get me that more warmth? I'm not a fan of "new" string sound or zing as trying to hide the carbon fiber sound as much as possible as my only guitar at the moment.

I straight SUS but they were very mid heavy to my ears.

Just strum with my fingers so dont use picks.

Last edited by iluvguitars2005; 01-13-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:58 PM

I wish that I knew. My new custom X20 is extremely bright (unlike prior Emeralds) and I've tried several string types now to tame it down. It is wearing GHS Silk & Bronze right now, but that still is not quite enough. For sure 80/20 and regular PB EJ-16 phosphor bronze did not work. EJ-16 or Elixir PB are what I use on all other guitars. Still left on my "to try" list are Monels, TI Plectrums, and SUS PB medium and heavy tension versions. I have not yet tried Elixir Polyweb PB either, not wanting to waste a set of expensive Elixir strings that might need to come right back off. Pretty frustrating.....

I have tried a bunch of things: tuning down, using mediums or mixed-gauge bluegrass sets for more tension, and other string types that are not mentioned here. The one thing I have not yet tried is flat wound D'Addarrio EFT-16. You can read more here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=599755
Old 01-13-2021, 02:21 PM

Like Earl I have gone through several strings with my x-20. what has really worked well for me was replacing the TUSQ saddle with a bone saddle and using Martin silk and phosphor 11's.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:44 PM

OK, so not Carbon Fibre but on a wood guitar I found Silk & Steels warmer than Silk & Bronze - Thomastik-Infeld Plectrums are probably the ultimate but La Bella Silk & Steels were surprisingly close - both are a soft feel string so I found 12's feel very comfortable.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 01-13-2021 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Yes, well spell it 'fibre' down here.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:14 AM

To my ear monels sound really great on RainSong guitars but not nearly as good on my Journey CF. I've found that I've needed to try everything and spend some money to find the right sound, and every guitar is different.

I've never played an X7 so I can't give you personal preference there. I will say that while monel is a generally mellower tone, I find it mid heavy. However, if you like a scooped mid you may want to try Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber