The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-21-2021, 12:11 PM

Question Wood Sourcing

Wondering on what recommendations you all have for sourcing billets, back/side sets, and generally potentially musical instrument-quality woods? In particular, I'm hoping to find sources of Macassar Ebony for an upcoming acoustic build.

I'm familiar with the following names, but do you all have any other recommendations?

1. Hibdon Hardwoods
2. Gilmer Wood
3. Kimball Hardwoods
4. Cook's Woods

I understand in many way's this is a luthier's best kept secret but any pointers would be much appreciated! Feel free to DM.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:11 PM

The best kept secret is that good wood is where you find it. In some cases, your chances of finding good wood is to go to specialty exotic lumber suppliers, such as you've listed. In other cases, a good source is the usual suppliers of luthier materials.

Another often-good source are local hardwood lumber stores. There are two relatively near me and are where I buy most of my materials. Both of them specifically sell luthier materials, as well as wood for a wide variety of uses. You do need to know how to assess the lumber to determine if it will give you what you want.

If at all possible - and it usually is - I prefer to chose my wood myself, rather than rely upon whomever selects it for mail order.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair