The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-28-2020, 07:23 AM

Default Learning To Play Without Capo

I play acoustic guitar in my church's worship band and the worship leader often capo's the songs when sending out the song list. Basic stuff. For example, capo 5 in C shapes or capo 2 with G shapes.

I want to expand on my guitaring and not just do the same basic stuff so I'm wondering if I decide to play a song in it's set key and play without a capo will it sound different. For example a song's key maybe in the key of D# but the leader capo's it to 3 and sets C shapes. This in theory is in the same key but would the main singer struggle with me playing a slightly different tone?

I have attached a copy of a song as an example. I think the actual key of this song is D#.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:30 AM

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=594022 has some good info.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:38 AM

Yeah I remember that thread. I just wanted to make sure what I'm going to do is right. Am curious if band leaders capo for a reason for example to match their voice tone.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:00 AM

Capo is only to make chord shapes and changes easier. Should you decide not to capo and play barre chords I doubt the singers would even notice.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:01 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Capo is only to make chord shapes and changes easier.
That's not entirely correct. There could be a song in G (easy chords!) that you decide to play with the capo on the 5th fret and D shapes (for a different sound)

Or a song in D that you play A shapes with the capo on the 5th fret. And so on and so on....

As for the original query, I can't imagine any singer having issues singing along to a song if you add a capo to change the "sound" of the guitar accompaniment.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:03 AM

As for the song posted, looks like they are playing it in C#m/E so you could certainly play along by playing the actual E/C#m shapes without a capo or D/Bm shapes with the capo on 2 (or even A shapes with the Capo on 7!)

I have NO idea what the "post-it" notes are supposed to represent on that chart....
Old 12-28-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Capo is only to make chord shapes and changes easier. Should you decide not to capo and play barre chords I doubt the singers would even notice.
In the context of this thread I would say you are more or less correct. However there are tonal and timbral variations that capos make possible. I have heard arrangements of Here Comes the Sun that involve clever chord voicings to avoid the capo and they just don’t sound the same.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
Yeah I remember that thread. I just wanted to make sure what I'm going to do is right. Am curious if band leaders capo for a reason for example to match their voice tone.
Not "tone", but possibly their range.
The reason would be to allow the average guitarist to play their selection of easy cowboy chords (as few barres as possible), in whatever key has been chosen to suit the vocal range of whoever is singing.

The example you posted would be in E major if the capo is on 4, and in Eb major if capo is on 3.

E flat, btw, not D sharp. Why? Because a scale needs one of each note:

D# major scale = D# E# Fx G# A# B# Cx D# ("x" = double sharp)
Eb major scale = Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb.
See? Nobody calls that key "D#".

Sometimes, as davidbeinct says, players choose a capo to give a different sound, even when open position (or another capo position) is as easy. But that's normally a player's own choice, based on their knowledge of all the timbral options - and sometimes to add variety if there is another guitarist. I.e., one player might be in key of G in open position, while another might put a capo on 7 and play C major shapes. The sounding key is the same, but it makes the two guitars sound more interesting together. (Look at any video of the Eagles playing Hotel California: one guitar has capo on 2, another has capo on 7, another has no capo.)

I would definitely encourage you to work out non-capo options (barre shapes and movable alternatives), or options for different capo positions. If only to make you feel more in control of the guitar!

For example, the song you posted (Am/C shapes with capo on 3) could be played with capo on 8 using Em/G shapes. Am=Em, C=G, F=C, G=D. However, the "C/E" shape would lose its low bass note (6th string 3rd fret). The G/B shape required for capo on 8 would put that bass note an octave higher. (Then again, if your band has a bassist, that note is not your concern. )
Old 12-28-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
As for the song posted, looks like they are playing it in C#m/E so you could certainly play along by playing the actual E/C#m shapes without a capo or D/Bm shapes with the capo on 2 (or even A shapes with the Capo on 7!)

I have NO idea what the "post-it" notes are supposed to represent on that chart....
C#m/E? When I checked the capo chart and confirmed it with my tuner, the original key is D#? For example, C=D#, G=A#, F=G#. Please correct me if I'm wrong..
Old 12-28-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
C#m/E? When I checked the capo chart and confirmed it with my tuner, the original key is D#? For example, C=D#, G=A#, F=G#. Please correct me if I'm wrong..
You're right if the capo is on 3. Capo on 4 would make it C#m/E.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:13 AM

And generally you would refer to D# as Eb.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:19 AM

I play with a cowboy capo guy. I generally play open. We aren't playing the same chords in the way. It might add a fullness to the songs.

I like the challenge and working my brain. I think of myself as a guitar player who sings, not a singer who plays guitar. I feel it is important to play in all keys.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 12-28-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
You're right if the capo is on 3. Capo on 4 would make it C#m/E.
Yeah, ignore the top right and it's what's in the sticky note area to look at. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
That's not entirely correct. There could be a song in G (easy chords!) that you decide to play with the capo on the 5th fret and D shapes (for a different sound)

Or a song in D that you play A shapes with the capo on the 5th fret. And so on and so on....

As for the original query, I can't imagine any singer having issues singing along to a song if you add a capo to change the "sound" of the guitar accompaniment.
You are correct. I was responding to his concern about the singers having difficulty if he didn't use the capo.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:04 PM

A guitar duo sometimes has one use a capo and the other without, calling it "guitar harmony". Maybe that's a misnomer off sorts, but it gets you a range of sound you won't get another way.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write